PDA

View Full Version : Apple infringes on Samsung's patents for past Iphones, Obama veto's to protect Apple

CalmWind
09-02-2013, 03:55 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2013/08/03/president-obama-vetoes-itc-ban-on-iphone-ipads-apple-happy-samsung-not/

How is this fair? Apple infringed upon a Samsung patent, which is a SEP, Standard-Essential Patent, basically a patent that is so awesome, it has become the industry standard.

CLIFFS

- Apple made Iphones by infringing upon Samsung patent
- Samsung tried to negotiate a royalty fee with Apple, and Apple said lol **** off kunt
- Samsung takes them to court
- Apple was found guilty of this, by the government agency that handles these affairs - the United States International Trade Commission
- Apple claims that the Samsung patent is an SEP, a patent that is an Industry standard, and they can't compete without it.
- Obama administration veto's the court's decision and allows Apple to continue with infringement and pay nothing to Samsung

u wot m8?

How is this fair? Do we have a King now and not a President, that overrules courts and ****s over patent laws? If the patent in question is now the Industry Standard, GOOD! Then the people who invented it deserve money, right? That's like someone invents the wheel, and begins to make cars. Then someone else makes cars and refuses to pay any patents for it's use of the Wheel because "all cars need wheels, we can't make cars without wheels, it would be anti-competitive to force us to pay too much money to the inventor of the Wheel"........

again.... u wot m8? Can someone explain this to me? I need a legitimate discussion to understand how this is even remotely fair. People/Companies now have a precedent that any patent can be infringed upon as long as they get the Dictator-in-Chief in the White House to issue immunity.

http://endtimebibleprophecy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/king-obama.jpg?w=700

CalmWind
09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
So..... I assume the average miscer so loves Apple, he cannot bring himself to question anything about this situation?

metroins
09-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure there is much much more to this topic and I'm not informed enough to make an adequate comment without researching the topic thoroughly.

Which I won't do because I don't care about the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuits. I use HTC.

MuscleXtreme
09-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Didn't Apple sue Samsung not too long ago and won? Where was Obama on that?

goody1
09-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Isn't Al Gore on the board of directors at Apple?

FleeceJohnson
09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Chinese courts never uphold American companies patents.

CalmWind
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Chinese courts never uphold American companies patents.

Samsung is South Korean

b3rtstare
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
One of the few good things Obama has done. **** Samsung. Obama is actually protecting an American company for once instead of shipping it all to China.

hackerwacker
09-02-2013, 07:50 PM
meanwhile, apple sues companies left and right for using a rectangle.

One of the few good things Obama has done. **** Samsung. Obama is actually protecting an American company for once instead of shipping it all to China.
yes thank god apple has all those manufacturing plants in the US and creates jobs. o wait

b3rtstare
09-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Also OP, the answer to your question is NO.

I do not care if Samsung invented it, they don't deserve to make money off of it. Their "patent" is SEP so screw them.

access1denied
09-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Because Apple electronic devices are not produced in Asian sweatshops or anything.

b3rtstare
09-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Because Apple electronic devices are not produced in Asian sweatshops or anything.

I never said they weren't. However, Apple has been shifting some Production back to America where it's economically feasible. Bottom line is that Apple is still an American company and its a good thing that Obama stuck up for an American company for once. Samsung isn't American, therefore they are automatically wrong.

Nagalfar
09-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I4sn't Al Gore on the board of directors at Apple?

Yes he is.. and Gore gets paid $125,000 per hour to sit on the board of Apple, and yes that is a million a day, or 365 million a year.. and there are many times Gore has been accused of abuse of the system though his ties in Govt. at the Federal level for Apple.. but just more Washington Scum taking huge payouts for nothing more than their connections..

Nagalfar
09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I never said they weren't. However, Apple has been shifting some Production back to America where it's economically feasible. Bottom line is that Apple is still an American company and its a good thing that Obama stuck up for an American company for once. Samsung isn't American, therefore they are automatically wrong.

Since when s STEALING from another company good for America? you think theft is good for business.. Apple has moved more OFFSHORE due to looming tax issues.. I posted a thread about that very thing.. so, it would seem you might be wrong on both counts...

Theft is ok?? and having ANY sitting Govt. official give a pass to the scum who stole is stunning anyone would ever be ok with that.. overrule a legal court matter at the Governmental level.. that is INSANE..

Your logic if you want to call it that.. boggles my mind..

b3rtstare
09-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Since when s STEALING from another company good for America? you think theft is good for business.. Apple has moved more OFFSHORE due to looming tax issues.. I posted a thread about that very thing.. so, it would seem you might be wrong on both counts...

Theft is ok?? and having ANY sitting Govt. official give a pass to the scum who stole is stunning anyone would ever be ok with that.. overrule a legal court matter at the Governmental level.. that is INSANE..

Your logic if you want to call it that.. boggles my mind..

I'm perfectly OK with what apple did. You have to do what's necessary to get ahead my friend. Since apple is an American company, it's perfectly fine.

Steve707
09-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm perfectly OK with what apple did. You have to do what's necessary to get ahead my friend. Since apple is an American company, it's perfectly fine.
Perfectly fine for companies to move their money overseas to not pay any taxes here in America?

VTheKing
09-02-2013, 08:33 PM
apple has the fed and courts on their backpocket, lol. remember when the court in San Jose fined Samsung a billion dollars for infringing on Apple's patents, but every other court aboard threw out the case?

gsxtreme1987
09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Lol at thinking apple is an American company. Besides employing minimum wage hipsters in their retail stores in the US, everything else about apple is done overseas.

b3rtstare
09-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Perfectly fine for companies to move their money overseas to not pay any taxes here in America?

They are well within their right to take advantage of tax loopholes to do so. If I were a CEO, I'd do the same exact thing.

slvrgtmiscer
09-02-2013, 08:39 PM

Texas brah, you never go full retard...

hackerwacker
09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
They are well within their right to take advantage of tax loopholes to do so. If I were a CEO, I'd do the same exact thing.
So they bring no money to this country
send tons of money out of the country
ship all their jobs off shore

please explain to me how they are an american company again? how in the world do they benefit us that they should be protected?

WHATYEAH
09-02-2013, 08:45 PM
had no idea what any of this was about so I googled standards-essential patents and read these

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/08/10/the-apple-samsung-patent-fight-finally-bringing-some-clarity-to-the-law/
http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/08/south-korean-government-fails-to.html

no idea what you're frothing at the mouth over. asias just weird

TonyJH
09-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Apples taste okay but I prefer oranges

frankenstein78
09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure there is much much more to this topic and I'm not informed enough to make an adequate comment without researching the topic thoroughly.

Which I won't do because I don't care about the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuits. I use HTC.

My ninja.
Last and current phone are HTC.

Anyhow, the executive branch interfering on the outcome a specific patent case? Does this have precedent or is this yet another power assumed for the 21st Century with no basis?

flairon
09-02-2013, 09:30 PM
And what difference do you think it makes that Apple is an 'American' company?

CalmWind
09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
And what difference do you think it makes that Apple is an 'American' company?

Yep. The days of companies being home grown and patriotic are gone. They are all international.

Nagalfar
09-03-2013, 07:15 AM

So anything goes to just get ahead?? lmao.. ok, lets start with stealing your stuff that you worked for, then your kids stuff, then your family's stuff.. damn your stupid..

So you have no problem with someone stealing to get ahead, you would whine like a lost puppy if someone stole your lifes work... would you just say.. hey no problem.. LMAO...

Hello??~!! anyone home? your generation is filled with anything goes morons who just dont have a clue about a much bigger picture.. your generation is so going to get what it deserves.. everything is ok, UNTIL it happens to you! real deep thinking going there..

ZioBot
09-03-2013, 07:27 AM
the samsung galaxy series is a beautiful thing.

i detest apple and find most users of apple i know to be pigheaded and terminally stupid which is how i would also describe the majority of the obama electorate. no coincidence.

lsiberian
09-03-2013, 07:28 AM
So anything goes to just get ahead?? lmao.. ok, lets start with stealing your stuff that you worked for, then your kids stuff, then your family's stuff.. damn your stupid..

So you have no problem with someone stealing to get ahead, you would whine like a lost puppy if someone stole your lifes work... would you just say.. hey no problem.. LMAO...

Hello??~!! anyone home? your generation is filled with anything goes morons who just dont have a clue about a much bigger picture.. your generation is so going to get what it deserves.. everything is ok, UNTIL it happens to you! real deep thinking going there..

We'll just take your stuff after your heart attack. I'm guessing you work for Samsung with the rage you have.

BFast55
09-03-2013, 07:45 AM
BO has shown favoritism towards companies that agree with his politics from day 1. How is OP surprised about this in 2013?

Nagalfar
09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
We'll just take your stuff after your heart attack. I'm guessing you work for Samsung with the rage you have.

Not quite.. but thanx.. I HATE thieves, lazy scum who wont get off their arses to work, but they have no problem stealing from someone else WHO EARNED it from WORKING for it... and the "entitlement" crowd.. what a waste of oxygen.. lol, and I am sure you are more than ok with giving up your stuff so someone else can jack you for it.. lmao...

Speaking of heart.. I have more than enough to NEVER steal from another man for ANY REASON.. but I guess it would be ok to steal from you seeing how you are ok with someone or some business doing it "if it's to just get ahead"... lol..

Yeah.. you are right I hate thieves..

flairon
09-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Yep. The days of companies being home grown and patriotic are gone. They are all international.

I don't thin that's true. When a company is small, a mom and pop kind of thing that serves people in the U.S., employs people in the U.S., owned by U.S. citizens, thats about as much of a 'u.s.' company as one can be. But companies do not salute a flag, they hold no allegiance to anything but profit. Once they get to the point that they are dealing internationally, they aren't a u.s. company any longer, they are just a company that has headquarters in the u.s.

flairon
09-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Not quite.. but thanx.. I HATE thieves, lazy scum who wont get off their arses to work, but they have no problem stealing from someone else WHO EARNED it from WORKING for it... and the "entitlement" crowd.. what a waste of oxygen.. lol, and I am sure you are more than ok with giving up your stuff so someone else can jack you for it.. lmao...

Speaking of heart.. I have more than enough to NEVER steal from another man for ANY REASON.. but I guess it would be ok to steal from you seeing how you are ok with someone or some business doing it "if it's to just get ahead"... lol..

Yeah.. you are right I hate thieves..

bitch please. You're sitting in a country stolen from natives under a government that was formed after stealing the country from the british, that was protected in wwII by nuclear tech stolen from Germany in a state dominated by a religion that stole its beginnings from christianity and judaism, using a mouse that every computer uses but the original design was stolen from the original creator and never paid a dime, probably hooked to a computer that has dozens of 'borrowed' tech pieces on it, thats likely got gigs of music and movies you didn't pay for on it. You're probably reading this while sitting within arms reach of a couple dozen stolen items either by you or someone else that you happily use.

BFast55
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
bitch please. You're sitting in a country stolen from natives under a government that was formed after stealing the country from the british, that was protected in wwII by nuclear tech stolen from Germany in a state dominated by a religion that stole its beginnings from christianity and judaism, using a mouse that every computer uses but the original design was stolen from the original creator and never paid a dime, probably hooked to a computer that has dozens of 'borrowed' tech pieces on it, thats likely got gigs of music and movies you didn't pay for on it. You're probably reading this while sitting within arms reach of a couple dozen stolen items either by you or someone else that you happily use.
Quick question. When was the last time you were at Starbucks? Apple store?

ZenBowman
09-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I am opposed to many of these software and hardware patents, whose sole purpose is to inhibit innovation, but Apple is the vilest abuser of the patent system, so this is terrible.

MuscleXtreme
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I am opposed to many of these software and hardware patents, whose sole purpose is to inhibit innovation, but Apple is the vilest abuser of the patent system, so this is terrible.

I'm curious as to why you're against software/hardware patents? Although, I pretty much agree - well at least on limiting duration and some other things of patents. But since, you develop software, isn't it against your interest to be against software patents?

Nagalfar
09-03-2013, 11:28 AM

LOL.. yeah ok, first, the "natives" as you call them stole this land from the mound builders and the Aztec's.. the "Natives" killed and took every last mound builder as slaves.. so the natives stole this land from someone else.. please spare me your babble, lol.. stole from the Brits? wow you know a lot about American history dont ya.. virtually ALL Euro nations had territories here and or in Central and South America, some where won by treaty, war and others where outright paid for (Psst.. ever heard of the Louisiana purchase? lol or that Alaska was brought from the Russians for a lil more than 14 million dollars (killer deal I might add)..

America and its allies we never protected by nuclear weapons during WW2, actually nukes ENDED WW2, and EVERY record showed Germany was a very long way away from building a nuke.. you might want to reference the "Manhattan Project", ONE FOURTH of the total American GDP was spent on the Manhattan Project.. again, you dont know WTF you are talking about..

Throughout history virtually ALL nations and territories have has dominate religions, in fact, at times the dominate state religions defined the type of state it was (today's middle east still being a prime example of that) sorry you missed that in your history class as well..

The computer mouse as we know it today was invented and developed by Douglas Englebart during the 60's and was patented on November 17, 1970. .. that means he owned the rights too it, and that means anyone who wished to use it was required to negotiate a fee to use it.. not one stole anything.. opps, you dropped the ball on that one too..

You have zero knowledge of history, both American and World.. and you assume most people steal movies, music and what ever else, I am forced to believe you have no problem stealing from others..
You make a lot of assumptions, you might be surrounded by stolen items, but not in my house, not, not in the past and not in the future, I have Satellite TV, and Satellite Radio in my vehicles and my house... you are obviously assuming everyone is like you.. I can assure you that we are not.. and somehow, you have painted a complete picture of yourself.. little to no real knowledge, and stealing from others is ok.. I think I got it..

http://electro-maniacs.net/uploads/posts/2009-11/thumbs/1259234642_the-lim-project.jpg

flairon
09-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Quick question. When was the last time you were at Starbucks? Apple store?

you couldn't get me into either place without a gun to my head.

flairon
09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
LOL.. yeah ok, first, the "natives" as you call them stole this land from the mound builders and the Aztec's.. the "Natives" killed and took every last mound builder as slaves.. so the natives stole this land from someone else.. please spare me your babble, lol.. stole from the Brits? wow you know a lot about American history dont ya.. virtually ALL Euro nations had territories here and or in Central and South America, some where won by treaty, war and others where outright paid for (Psst.. ever heard of the Louisiana purchase? lol or that Alaska was brought from the Russians for a lil more than 14 million dollars (killer deal I might add)..

and did the natives give it to the settlers of this country? nope. so then it was...thats right..stolen.

America and its allies we never protected by nuclear weapons during WW2, actually nukes ENDED WW2, and EVERY record showed Germany was a very long way away from building a nuke.. you might want to reference the "Manhattan Project", ONE FOURTH of the total American GDP was spent on the Manhattan Project.. again, you dont know WTF you are talking about..

The war was stopped with the bomb dropping, the primary reason was because we had japan backed up to their own island and it was going to cost us way more in soldiers than we wanted to spend to get it. It was einstien's (a german) theory or relativity that was the cornerstone for work on nuclear reaction that the manhattan project worked on. Without einstein and another physicist from budapest, the u.s. wouldn't have had the bomb to stop the war...the theory was orignally created in Germany, by a german.

Throughout history virtually ALL nations and territories have has dominate religions, in fact, at times the dominate state religions defined the type of state it was (today's middle east still being a prime example of that) sorry you missed that in your history class as well..
Don't know what that has to do with the religion that dominates utah..but ok

The computer mouse as we know it today was invented and developed by Douglas Englebart during the 60's and was patented on November 17, 1970. .. that means he owned the rights too it, and that means anyone who wished to use it was required to negotiate a fee to use it.. not one stole anything.. opps, you dropped the ball on that one too..
The first computer to use a mouse came out about the time that he died. Out of the millions of mice that have been sold, the only money he receieved from it was from xerox, about 50k. Everyone else has just used his invention.

You have zero knowledge of history, both American and World.. and you assume most people steal movies, music and what ever else, I am forced to believe you have no problem stealing from others..
You make a lot of assumptions, you might be surrounded by stolen items, but not in my house, not, not in the past and not in the future, I have Satellite TV, and Satellite Radio in my vehicles and my house... you are obviously assuming everyone is like you.. I can assure you that we are not.. and somehow, you have painted a complete picture of yourself.. little to no real knowledge, and stealing from others is ok.. I think I got it..

I'd say you're probably full of crap and trying to hold up your position.

Rockchalk0420
09-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Lol at thinking apple is an American company. Besides employing minimum wage hipsters in their retail stores in the US, everything else about apple is done overseas.

You do realize that Apples headquarters are in Cupertino California...correct? It's also a MAJOR component of the NASDAQ which is apart of the US stock exchange. It outsources labor assembly to poor countries...(Newsflash! Every major company in the world does this) but you surely do not think Apple is a Chinese company, do you? Because that seems to be what you are attempting to state...

flairon
09-03-2013, 01:16 PM
You do realize that Apples headquarters are in Cupertino California...correct? It's also a MAJOR component of the NASDAQ which is apart of the US stock exchange. It outsources labor assembly to poor countries...(Newsflash! Every major company in the world does this) but you surely do not think Apple is a Chinese company, do you? Because that seems to be what you are attempting to state...

There isn't anything 'american' about apple other than where their headquarters are located.

An international company has no country.

chevy72blu
09-03-2013, 01:19 PM

As someone who works in R&D and usually respects your opinion, I am wtfing at this.

Do you have any idea how expensive it is - both in terms of hard costs and time, to bring a new, innovative product to market? Keep in mind I am not working in nearly as technical of a field as these guys and it would boggle your mind.

Patents protect innovation because they reward those who go to great lengths to actualize it. Of course, there is the fact that most patents arent worth the paper they are written on..

ZenBowman
09-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm curious as to why you're against software/hardware patents? Although, I pretty much agree - well at least on limiting duration and some other things of patents. But since, you develop software, isn't it against your interest to be against software patents?

No, software patents are especially egregious because they are almost always too broad. Innovation always benefits when people improve upon the ideas of others, this is the manner in which all innovation occurs.

The acts of the mind, wherein it exerts its power over simple ideas, are chiefly these three: 1. Combining several simple ideas into one compound one, and thus all complex ideas are made. 2. The second is bringing two ideas, whether simple or complex, together, and setting them by one another so as to take a view of them at once, without uniting them into one, by which it gets all its ideas of relations. 3. The third is separating them from all other ideas that accompany them in their real existence: this is called abstraction, and thus all its general ideas are made.
- John Locke, An essay concerning human understanding

Patents are a government enforced monopoly on the understanding of a particular idea. It is one thing to have copyright, which protects the end result of application of particular ideas. It is another thing to desire government protection and grants to exclusivity of ideas themselves.

As someone who works in R&D and usually respects your opinion, I am wtfing at this.

Do you have any idea how expensive it is - both in terms of hard costs and time, to bring a new, innovative product to market? Keep in mind I am not working in nearly as technical of a field as these guys and it would boggle your mind.

Yes, I work in the tech sector as a developer. Very few developers want patents, in fact I do not know anyone who endorses the current patent system except patent trolls. The fear of us being put out of jobs once patents are abolished is simply imaginary - new products will always be needed, and most of us innovate out of an inherent motivation to improve things.

I don't object to copyright, only to patents.

ElMariachi
09-03-2013, 01:37 PM

LOL, way too much irony.

flairon
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
No, software patents are especially egregious because they are almost always too broad. Innovation always benefits when people improve upon the ideas of others, this is the manner in which all innovation occurs.

The acts of the mind, wherein it exerts its power over simple ideas, are chiefly these three: 1. Combining several simple ideas into one compound one, and thus all complex ideas are made. 2. The second is bringing two ideas, whether simple or complex, together, and setting them by one another so as to take a view of them at once, without uniting them into one, by which it gets all its ideas of relations. 3. The third is separating them from all other ideas that accompany them in their real existence: this is called abstraction, and thus all its general ideas are made.
- John Locke, An essay concerning human understanding

Patents are a government enforced monopoly on the understanding of a particular idea. It is one thing to have copyright, which protects the end result of application of particular ideas. It is another thing to desire government protection and grants to exclusivity of ideas themselves.

Yes, I work in the tech sector as a developer. Very few developers want patents, in fact I do not know anyone who endorses the current patent system except patent trolls. The fear of us being put out of jobs once patents are abolished is simply imaginary - new products will always be needed, and most of us innovate out of an inherent motivation to improve things.

I don't object to copyright, only to patents.

Most places i've ever been to, if you develop something while you work with them, you give up the claim to it when you sign their employment contract