PDA

View Full Version : Being on Shakeology while on Intermittant fasting

Dem0nstar
08-29-2013, 12:37 AM
I am trying to cut weight and gain muscle. I am 26/m and about 6'0 approximately. I weighed around 190 but two weeks back I started intermittent fasting with my workouts. Now I am a bit less than 180. I want to cut to 160 and then put muscle mass. And I want to continue this intermittent fasting, where I take my meal in between a 6 hour window. I wanted to try meal replacement supplements instead of solid food. Anybody had any experience with Shakeology or Rockin' Wellness while on fasting?
P.S. I am not on any other supplements right now, I plan on doing it later.

necon76
08-29-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't know what Shakeology is, but fifty bucks says it's stupid.

WillEsteem
08-29-2013, 12:56 AM
You want to meal replace? Why the **** would you want to do that?

BGoodman88
08-29-2013, 01:06 AM

It ends with 'ology', so you know it's legit.

Anyway, if you want to fast, fast. If you don't want to fast, don't fast. Intermittent fasting has some benefits regarding satiety and performance in the gym (for some people), but don't expect much difference regarding body composition.

Leeuf
08-29-2013, 01:38 AM
I am trying to cut weight and gain muscle. I am 26/m and about 6'0 approximately. I weighed around 190 but two weeks back I started intermittent fasting with my workouts. Now I am a bit less than 180. I want to cut to 160 and then put muscle mass. And I want to continue this intermittent fasting, where I take my meal in between a 6 hour window. I wanted to try meal replacement supplements instead of solid food. Anybody had any experience with Shakeology or Rockin' Wellness while on fasting?

Just make sure your macronutrients are correc.

Further, if Shakeology makes you feel satiated and psychologically satisfied then stick to it. Shakeology is great in principle. As to whether it works or not, I'm not sure.

AlwaysTryin
08-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Just make sure your macronutrients are correc.

Further, if Shakeology makes you feel satiated and psychologically satisfied then stick to it. Shakeology is great in principle. As to whether it works or not, I'm not sure.

What about micronutrients

Leeuf
08-29-2013, 01:43 AM
What about micronutrients

Shakeology is super high in micronutrients. At least that's what they say...

But yes I should have mentioned that; I just thought it went without saying given we're talking about Shakeology. Omission on my part.

AlwaysTryin
08-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Shakeology is super high in micronutrients. At least that's what they say...

But yes I should have mentioned that; I just thought it went without saying given we're talking about Shakeology. Omission on my part.

Most people don't know, see post 2

Leeuf
08-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Most people don't know, see post 2

In my defense, Google is a pretty handy tool :D

MrBillson
08-29-2013, 01:51 AM
OP do you have some kind of disability which means you are unable to chew your food?

If not why would you willingly swap all food for heavily processed meal replacements?

There's no way you would enjoy that.

Also as stated above, IF is simply a function of personal preference. It's not IF which has made you lose weight, it's an energy deficit which has made you lose weight.

TruHealthVision
08-29-2013, 02:45 AM
the shakeology can be good cause it has all kinds of powders like barley greens 'superfoods' etc but the solid foods are still important cause its real food real nutrition

AAOBob
08-29-2013, 04:54 AM

You lost over 10lbs in 2 weeks?
You want to replace real food with overpriced supplements?

Read stickies, if any of the bigger words confuse you come back and ask what they mean.

dgillead
08-29-2013, 04:56 AM
I think it has something to do with this T25 workout program thing. It's like the new P90x or something.

Dem0nstar
09-08-2013, 01:04 AM
LoL I knew I was about to piss a lot of people off with this question. Let me just say I am a noob and not by any means more knowledgeable in nutrition than any of you. Hence I seek advice, I wanted to lose face fat which I did, BUT now my arms are getting skinny too. I DO NOT want skinny arms. Any suggestion.

I think it has something to do with this T25 workout program thing. It's like the new P90x or something.

It's a killer workout though, you workout for half an hour without any breaks. I run for an hour in the morning aswell.

necon76
09-08-2013, 01:14 AM
LoL I knew I was about to piss a lot of people off with this question. Let me just say I am a noob and not by any means more knowledgeable in nutrition than any of you. Hence I seek advice, I wanted to lose face fat which I did, BUT now my arms are getting skinny too. I DO NOT want skinny arms. Any suggestion.

It's a killer workout though, you workout for half an hour without any breaks. I run for an hour in the morning aswell.

Nobody is pissed. The point is that you don't need a fancy supplement scheme or any of that bs to lose fat. It can all be done through diet alone with real, enjoyable foods.

And you can't choose where the fat comes off from.

SacramentoZach
09-08-2013, 01:17 AM

You want bigger arms? Don't do 30 minute non-stop workouts and run for an hour every morning.

Aremfi
09-08-2013, 01:53 AM
From what I do know about shakeology, it is way overpriced. I think $90 for a month supply. You are better off eating whole foods and using whey protein if that's your thing.

AlwaysTryin
09-08-2013, 03:40 AM

Learn how to lift properly

Dem0nstar
09-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Learn how to lift properly

I lift around 5kgs for bicep and triceps.

tara19
09-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I lift around 5kgs for bicep and triceps.

I lift 10kg.

AlwaysTryin
09-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I lift 10kg.

I only lift 8kg

tara19
09-08-2013, 11:26 PM
I only lift 8kg

Weak effort :P

Dem0nstar
09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Weak effort :P

As long as the posture and the rhythm are alright. it doesn't matter much. I want to increase my weights with time too.

Mdenatale
09-10-2013, 08:11 AM
As long as the posture and the rhythm are alright. it doesn't matter much. I want to increase my weights with time too.

Posture and rhythm? I think the shakeology has eaten away at you brain.

You should look into hitting you minimum protein and fat intake with real food as much as possible. And get on a real weight training program. Try All-Pro's beginner routine.

ironwill2008
09-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Forget all the 'beachbody' bull****. Not only are their supplements a joke, their workouts are little more than a means of selling their crappy supplements to unsuspecting suckers.

Here are your best places to start:

Beginner bodybuilding program:
*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

No requirement for supplements at your level; learn how to eat first. This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
*Emma Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com

Lvisaa2
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
If you don't want skinny arms then you shouldn't cut to 160 lbs. You're 6', at 160 lbs you'll be a stick. Maybe lean out a bit more depending on where you are bf% wise(make sure you are on a proper routine and diet) then start bulking. It takes a couple of bulk/cut runs in order to start to get where you want. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

StephSkywalker
09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Shakeology is one of those MLM supps like Body by Vi, Beach Body, etc.. They are mostly overpriced and the nutrient profiles arent great for the price either. I wouldnt use them

Dem0nstar
09-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the feedback guys.

Posture and rhythm? I think the shakeology has eaten away at you brain.

You should look into hitting you minimum protein and fat intake with real food as much as possible. And get on a real weight training program. Try All-Pro's beginner routine.

As a beginner, I was unaware of the workouts which I required to perform and didn't have the basic arm strength I needed. Which through the P90X and Focus T25 videos have helped me a lot. So, thanks to the workouts, now I am at a level where I believe that if I goto a gym I am confident I will be able to do chin ups and dips on a dip assist and lift weights. Thank you for the Link I will look into the All Pro's Routine Program and hope to get some mass and muscle gains.

Forget all the 'beachbody' bull****. Not only are their supplements a joke, their workouts are little more than a means of selling their crappy supplements to unsuspecting suckers.
[/b]

I appreciate your response, I don't take a lot of supplements besides the shakeology, because at the time I started I was a little over weight and wanted to get tight. But now it appears but that I have grown to thin as a result of fasting and have grown womanly arms. I am planing to bulk up and get some gains. Thanks for the videos I'll have a look at it and post the feedback on my transformation.

isaiah41v10
09-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure where all the hate for team beachbody comes from? Did Tony Horton take a dump in someone's cheerios?

Lvisaa2
09-12-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure where all the hate for team beachbody comes from? Did Tony Horton take a dump in someone's cheerios?

No, but he continually takes dumps in the people's mouths as they shell out cash and believe the bs that he spews.

ironwill2008
09-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure where all the hate for team beachbody comes from?

Maybe because it's a sucker trap?

Based on your post history, you are clearly a clueless Kool-Aid drinker.

HTH

kenny85
09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Skip the shakes. Eat real food

isaiah41v10
09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Maybe because it's a sucker trap?

Based on your post history, you are clearly a clueless Kool-Aid drinker.

HTH

Lol. You never addressed the statement about the weights...unless you built your own. A lot of their programs if followed and this is without dropping one dime on their supps actually work. People that would otherwise be heading toward obesity and diabetes change their life with programs like p90x, and insanity. Fitness is a multi-billion dollar industry. If your into fitness your either spending money on it or making money from it. There is really no in between.

ummme
09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Lol. You never addressed the statement about the weights...unless you built your own. A lot of their programs if followed and this is without dropping one dime on their supps actually work. People that would otherwise be heading toward obesity and diabetes change their life with programs like p90x, and insanity. Fitness is a multi-billion dollar industry. If your into fitness your either spending money on it or making money from it. There is really no in between.

Fitness is a multi-billion dollar industy because the average person is beyond clueless when it comes to fitness. Companies create these hyped programs, make themselves look like the experts, and people fork over their money to get a dvd or use a supplement. People would have been better off doing the basics, but the world is so cluttered with advertisements they cant even tell what the basics are anymore.

isaiah41v10
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
You make a lot of good points. I'm not an advocate for beachbody. But there are many people out there that are unhealthy and they don't know where to start. So they purchase dvd programs, gym memberships, abs-in-a-box gadgets...all I'm saying is even if you consider them capitalist money grabbers...they at least give you the tools to get into the ground floor of a healthier way of life. Can't say the same for a lot of overpriced gyms and gadgets out there.

AAOBob
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
You make a lot of good points. I'm not an advocate for beachbody. But there are many people out there that are unhealthy and they don't know where to start. So they purchase dvd programs, gym memberships, abs-in-a-box gadgets...all I'm saying is even if you consider them capitalist money grabbers...they at least give you the tools to get into the ground floor of a healthier way of life. Can't say the same for a lot of overpriced gyms and gadgets out there.

You are right in that any exercise is better than no exercise. It doesn't mean its optimal in terms of results or cash spent. Now I did buy the p90x dvds several years ago and my wife tried shakeology (of course a friend was selling it) for a while.

It didn't give us what we were looking for and I found it to be an unsustainable exercise program for me. Had I started out with a better one I might have started getting in shape earlier. Instead I did what most people do after what amounts to heavy cardio for an hour+ a day 6 days a week, and thats quit after a few weeks.

On the plus side we still have good memories from the videos, and making fun of some of the things said. Yesterday in my workout I showed my wife my "Triceps of gold" and we had a good laugh.

AAOBob
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM

You are right in that any exercise is better than no exercise. It doesn't mean its optimal in terms of results or cash spent. Now I did buy the p90x dvds several years ago and my wife tried shakeology (of course a friend was selling it) for a while.

It didn't give us what we were looking for and I found it to be an unsustainable exercise program for me. Had I started out with a better one I might have started getting in shape earlier. Instead I did what most people do after what amounts to heavy cardio for an hour+ a day 6 days a week, and thats quit after a few weeks.

On the plus side we still have good memories from the videos, and making fun of some of the things said. Yesterday in my workout I showed my wife my "Triceps of gold" and we had a good laugh.

Dem0nstar
09-13-2013, 09:50 PM
I've also been meaning to ask when in bulking phase, how many days should I consider the running?

Now I did buy the p90x dvds several years ago and my wife tried shakeology (of course a friend was selling it) for a while.

Not trying to be a fanboy here but how can you possibly achieve something remotely close in terms of what you are looking for if you call it quiets before you can even get to halfway? Secondly, P90X is not for beginners there are other programs like Power 90 basic which one can master before trying harder exercises. Lastly nothing is easy, you can't hope to be like Kai Green only by joining a gym, you'll still need dedication and SUPER hardwork.

Lvisaa2
09-14-2013, 06:26 AM
I've also been meaning to ask when in bulking phase, how many days should I consider the running?

Not trying to be a fanboy here but how can you possibly achieve something remotely close in terms of what you are looking for if you call it quiets before you can even get to halfway? Secondly, P90X is not for beginners there are other programs like Power 90 basic which one can master before trying harder exercises. Lastly nothing is easy, you can't hope to be like Kai Green only by joining a gym, you'll still need dedication and SUPER hardwork.

Run as much as you'd like. At a certain point it could eventually hurt your growth, but as long as you are eating enough to gain weight then unless you are doing large amounts of cardio then you should be fine.

Also, you can tell a program isn't going to be correct for your goals without running it all the way through. In fact, even though I've never run P90X, I can assure you it wouldn't get me the physique I desire.