PDA

View Full Version : GQ Article on Nick Saban

wildchild11
08-27-2013, 07:38 AM
I find this man fascinating. srs

The story is this: A few days after Alabama beat LSU to win the 2012 national championship, Rumsey and Saban were on the phone together. Most of their conversations take place precisely between 7:12 A.M. and 7:17 A.M., when Saban calls as he drives to work. But this call happened to be in the afternoon. The two men almost never discuss football—Rumsey is the rare Tuscaloosan who doesn't know or care much about the game, which, he suspects, has something to do with why he and Saban have become friends. But given that his golf buddy had just won the national championship, Rumsey figured he ought to say a few words of congratulations. So he did, telling Saban his team had pulled off an impressive win.

"That damn game cost me a week of recruiting," Saban grumbled into the phone.

Rumsey at first thought he'd misheard. He asked for clarification. Saban repeated himself. He just knew that while he was preparing for the title game, enduring all the banquets and media bull**** that came with it, some other coach was in the living room of one of his recruits, trying to ip the kid. The thought was making him crazy.

Rumsey pointed out that Saban and his team had just been on national television before millions of people—including, most likely, every high school recruit in the country—and reminded Saban that they had won the national championship.

"I said, 'I'm not sure, but I think that helped you,'" Rumsey recalled. "And he said, 'I just don't know. Maybe. Maybe that was good.'"

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201309/coach-nick-saban-alabama-maniac#ixzz2dBFRdfIH

Blitzinc34
08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Saban recruit- best name in all of sports

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/382/734/125481057_display_image.jpg?1341369971

solidus2k3
08-27-2013, 08:52 AM
in before 3 peat

airdog93
08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
dude you are reading a GQ article about a football coach for a school that's like 5 states away from yours. do you have a life/hobby/job/significant other?

CobyWan
08-27-2013, 09:20 AM
dude you are reading a GQ article about a football coach for a school that's like 5 states away from yours. do you have a life/hobby/job/significant other?

The fact the article was in GQ means a lot of people were reading that article. Including those that don't even care about football. And since when is reading not a hobby? Nice try troll.

wildchild11
08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

played WoW competively (pve) through WOTLK....tried cataclysm, fukking hated it. Was able to go from fresh 85 to heroic deathwinng (i think thats who he was) within 6 days...raid finder ruined the goddam game, removed any and all skill related to coordinating people/classes/strategies.

tried GW2....seemed too repetitive....combat based on the weapon rather than the class, small variety of moves (i mean endgame WoW only had like 5-10 moves you'd use, but meh). just didnt have the same pull/awesomeness that vanilla and BC WoW did

Played WOW competitively

Played World Of Warcraft competitively

jalamb86
08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
His work ethic is one of the most impressive I've ever seen. I don't think I could ever do anything like that...I like my me-time too much. He works constantly.

airdog93
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Played WOW competitively

people cant be good at their hobbies eh

kyleTX
08-27-2013, 11:33 AM
lmao I can't even fathom how much this guy hates Johnny Football

BFast55
08-27-2013, 12:11 PM
lmao I can't even fathom how much this guy hates Johnny Football
A&M fans give themselves too much credit. You pull off the first 10 win season in two decades, the 7th since the 30's and all of a sudden everyone cares about college station.

BrianDobson
08-27-2013, 12:14 PM
that game cost him a week of recruiting, eh?.....so what, should he have lost more games so his team didn't make it to NC game? He would have had a few more weeks then of recruiting. His job is to win games and win a National Championship.....each and every year...that is what he is payed to do.

sdballer5588
08-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Played WOW competitively

So did I. No tears.

TheStove123
08-27-2013, 12:20 PM
that game cost him a week of recruiting, eh?.....so what, should he have lost more games so his team didn't make it to NC game? He would have had a few more weeks then of recruiting. His job is to win games and win a National Championship.....each and every year...that is what he is payed to do.

Yea, and that's exactly what he does...wins championships. I think what Saban is complaining about is the long layover between the end of the regular season and the national championship game.

wildchild11
08-27-2013, 12:21 PM
So did I. No tears.

lol, you are the last guy on the misc I would picture as a gaming geek

kyleTX
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
A&M fans give themselves too much credit. You pull off the first 10 win season in two decades, the 7th since the 30's and all of a sudden everyone cares about college station.

Where ITT did I say that phaggot? You seem to be following me around bashing A&M in every ncaaf thread. Stay salty my friend

sdballer5588
08-27-2013, 12:29 PM
lol, you are the last guy on the misc I would picture as a gaming geek

Lol I get that .... a lot.

It's a lot worse when you are actually ON those games (as me) trying to convince others you aren't a 130 pound virgin : \

BFast55
08-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Where ITT did I say that phaggot?
BRB thread about nick saban article. A&M fan brings up jonny football.

You seem to be following me around bashing A&M in every ncaaf thread. Stay salty my friend
LMAO typical aggie. There is a reason why there is an entire sub-genre of jokes about aggies.

Calhexas
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM

LMAO typical aggie. There is a reason why there is an entire sub-genre of jokes about aggies.

jizz jars anyone?

Heaney
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Saban recruit- best name in all of sports

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/382/734/125481057_display_image.jpg?1341369971

Lol you can't call a nickname the best name in sports, his actual name isn't 'ha ha'

kyleTX
08-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Bandwagon scumbag lol just lol. At least Calhexas has a real reason to be obnoxious, however you're just a t-shirt poser. Stay pretending my friend.

Calhexas
08-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Lol you can't call a nickname the best name in sports, his actual name isn't 'ha ha'

His name is Hasean.

His grandmother gave him the nickname "Ha Ha" and it stuck.

sdballer5588
08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
His name is Hasean.

His grandmother gave him the nickname "Ha Ha" and it stuck.

Do you not understand the distinction between nick name and real name?

BFast55
08-28-2013, 05:38 AM

Bandwagon scumbag lol just lol. At least Calhexas has a real reason to be obnoxious, however you're just a t-shirt poser. Stay pretending my friend.
Look aggie, this may be hard to fathom: I'm an Alabama alumnus who now works in Houston, but I'm sure your still right about me being a sidewalk fan. Keep bringing that aggie logic.
No college team has more sidewalk fans right now than A&M.
Ignorance status confirmed.

Calhexas
08-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Do you not understand the distinction between nick name and real name?

I wasn't disputing what he said. I was elaborating on it.

I have no idea why that unsettled your jameses so much.