PDA

View Full Version : Slow Digesting Carbs

mfgorski
08-22-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm looking for good sources of slow digesting Carbs. I know whole grain bread, whole grain pasta and brown Rice are good sources, but what other options are out there that are relatively easy to prepare? Right now in my diet I feel that is where I am weakest.

cumminslifter
08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
veggies, legumes, oats. google should know

WonderPug
08-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Add fat to anything and you'll slow down absorption.

By the way, premium ice cream has a much lower GI than whole grain bread, whole grain pasta or brown rice.

razor23
08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Sweet potatoes are great baked whole or cut up and roasted in the oven as "oven fries".

edit: Smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of oregano all mixed together make a great seasoning for both the baked or oven fried sweet potatoes.

ironwill2008
08-22-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm looking for good sources of slow digesting Carbs. I know whole grain bread, whole grain pasta and brown Rice are good sources, but what other options are out there that are relatively easy to prepare? Right now in my diet I feel that is where I am weakest.

A potato (either white or sweet) can be nuked in about 6 minutes or so.

mfgorski
08-22-2013, 08:32 AM
The sweet potato fries sound good, and I've never thought of nuking potatoes. Thanks for the ideas!

ironwill2008
08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I've never thought of nuking potatoes.

Stab several steam holes in the 'tater with a fork before nuking it!

razor23
08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Yes, or the results can be quite....explosive! Our microwave has a sensor to weigh food and I just have to put in any amount of potatoes, press the "Potato" button and they come out perfectly cooked! It's a great feature and I use it several times/week.

mfgorski
08-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Good lookin out! I might have had an interesting experience with that.
And My work microwave has a potato button, so looks like I'm adding that to the shopping list.