PDA

View Full Version : I'm much too skinny for my height! Help!

YouHaveFoundJP
08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Not sure why I've never posted here before, but since I'm here, I'm hoping to get some insight as to what may be my problem. Okay, let's cut to the chase. I'm currently 15 years old, going 16 in about 2 months and for most of my life I've been extremely skinny. I figured I would outgrow it at some point, but that day never seemed to arrive. I'm currently really tall, at 6 feet flat, and only way a whopping, wait for it, 110 pounds, and that's with clothes on. I'm not anorexic or anything and I eat my share of food whenever i get the chance, however I only eat home cooked meals, and occasionally a burger at Wendy's or something. But no matter how much I eat, or however often, I cant seem to gain any weight what so ever. I am athletic and I do play soccer for my school's team but not to an extent that would cause me to burn a ton of calories! This has gotten extreme and I'm becoming self-conscious. I can't go out without wearing a shirt with sleeves cause my hands are so small in diameter that I'm ashamed to show them. I have almost 0% body fat and barely any muscle to go along with it. If I could get some specific information, maybe even a diagnosis about my condition, that would be great!

NB: I did check how many calories I need to eat per day to gain one pound a week on a BMI and it came up with 4000. I have no idea how I would be able to maintain that!

Thanks in advance!

SuperHippo
08-21-2013, 07:39 PM
eat

cumminslifter
08-21-2013, 07:47 PM
to gain weight you need to eat in a caloric surplus

YouHaveFoundJP
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I eat a ton! I just dont get the gains! ._. .......any more advice? any plans i could follow?

cumminslifter
08-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I eat a ton! I just dont get the gains! ._. .......any more advice? any plans i could follow?advice-eat in a caloric surplus and track macros to ensure you are
plans- a diet that puts in a caloric surplus while meeting macro, micro and fiber sufficiency

RaiseItUp
08-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Pretty much in the same spot as you bro.. 5'10, 125lbs... Skinny as ****.

Been training for about 4-5 months now but with little to no gains since I don't eat properly.

YouHaveFoundJP
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Pretty much in the same spot as you bro.. 5'10, 125lbs... Skinny as ****.

Been training for about 4-5 months now but with little to no gains since I don't eat properly.

My friends have been telling me that protein shakes are the way to go. None of them have been as skinny as me but a few have got some muscle from them, along with the right workout routine. But I recently started the protein workout plan, havent seen any results yet bro. Goodluck!

sindergi
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
My friends have been telling me that protein shakes are the way to go. None of them have been as skinny as me but a few have got some muscle from them, along with the right workout routine. But I recently started the protein workout plan, havent seen any results yet bro. Goodluck!

Protein shakes only helps you to hit your daily protein needs. You can get all your protein from real food. Protein are just convinient if you still need protein for the day in my opinion. Just because you drink protein shakes you will not gain automatically weight. If the protein shakes brings you in to a calorie surplus - yes then you will gain weight, but not directly because of the protein shake but because of the calorie surplus.

You just hit your daily minimums :
0.82 protein / 0.4 fat per lbs and eat in a surplus and you will gain weight. It is really so easy.
If you dont gain weight you are not eating enough.

MetilHed
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
FYI: Protein shakes are food, not magic potions.

softpounder
08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
FYI: Protein shakes are food, not magic potions.

This.

You're going to need a lot more food OP. You're at your peak of your hormone levels, your metabolism is great at your age, thus you'll need a lot lot more food.

Domrom35
08-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Weight train and eat a lot of high calorie foods. Simple as that.

laxbro89
08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
you just need to lift weights and eat more calories than you burn. go out and buy some whole milk, peanut butter, whey protein and literally whatever else you want. get the myfitnesspal app on your phone and start tracking your calories and macros.

RedeemerZG
08-21-2013, 11:09 PM
eat only nuts and nut-butters from a jar (including nutella).

btw, cashews have pretty good score on protein source!

and after week or so , tell us about results

tommydec02
08-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Not sure why I've never posted here before, but since I'm here, I'm hoping to get some insight as to what may be my problem. Okay, let's cut to the chase. I'm currently 15 years old, going 16 in about 2 months and for most of my life I've been extremely skinny. I figured I would outgrow it at some point, but that day never seemed to arrive. I'm currently really tall, at 6 feet flat, and only way a whopping, wait for it, 110 pounds, and that's with clothes on. I'm not anorexic or anything and I eat my share of food whenever i get the chance, however I only eat home cooked meals, and occasionally a burger at Wendy's or something. But no matter how much I eat, or however often, I cant seem to gain any weight what so ever. I am athletic and I do play soccer for my school's team but not to an extent that would cause me to burn a ton of calories! This has gotten extreme and I'm becoming self-conscious. I can't go out without wearing a shirt with sleeves cause my hands are so small in diameter that I'm ashamed to show them. I have almost 0% body fat and barely any muscle to go along with it. If I could get some specific information, maybe even a diagnosis about my condition, that would be great!

NB: I did check how many calories I need to eat per day to gain one pound a week on a BMI and it came up with 4000. I have no idea how I would be able to maintain that!

Thanks in advance!

I was the same height and weight as u when I started.

I use an app called myfitnesspal to count calories. for me and I take in 3500-4000 calories during a bulk.

mix
1 cup oats
2 scoops protein
2 tbsp natty PB
1 banana
2 cups milk
that easily makes bout 1000 calories, drinking two of those a day on top of what u eat normally and u should see some gains.

WonderPug
08-22-2013, 03:54 AM
Consume in addition to your regular diet one milkshake made from 5 large scoops of premium ice cream and 16 ounces of whole milk.

After one month, your weight will have increased by 5 to 10 pounds.

huda96
08-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Get a loaf of bread a jar of peanut butter go nuts literally. Drink milk. Eat.

ummme
08-22-2013, 05:28 AM
I eat a ton!

If you are not gaining weight... the advice shouldnt be eat a lot or eat a ton... its eat MORE.

so when you are done eating that "ton" ... eat more. If thats not gaining weight after a few weeks... eat MORE.

Eat more until you gain weight... that simple.

cumminslifter
08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
If you are not gaining weight... the advice shouldnt be eat a lot or eat a ton... its eat MORE.

so when you are done eating that "ton" ... eat more. If thats not gaining weight after a few weeks... eat MORE.

Eat more until you gain weight... that simple.its too simple

ironwill2008
08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I eat a ton!

No.

You don't.

If you did, you wouldn't weigh a buck ten, opie.

Eat some cheeseburgers and pizza every day. For now, that's as much of a 'plan' as you're likely to be able to handle.

TheJase
08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
every skinny guy thinks he eats a ton.

Before I started counting macros, I thought I ate a lot, too. But I found out that most days I wouldn't get much over 1700 calories. It was shocking.

brb eating a proper diet now

Sanderson86
08-22-2013, 08:46 AM
I never thought I could put on weight as well. Then I realised how much I really could eat if I put my mind to it. Eat and drink massive and you'll grow. I'm slowly getting up to where I want to be but it's taken a year or two of working out what works.

DHallization
08-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Count your calories and you'll be surprised. For me, the best thing I started doing was shakes. Peanut Butter, protein, milk, banana, spinach, flax seed, you can put all sorts of goodness in there and drink your calories. If you skip meals then eat a "ton" for one big meal you don't get there.

tommydec02
08-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Before I started counting macros, I thought I ate a lot, too. But I found out that most days I wouldn't get much over 1700 calories. It was shocking.

brb eating a proper diet now

Same here haha

Jbreezee
08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
OP, eating all this food everybody is talking about is all well and good and yes if you eat like they say you will gain weight, but who is to say it will be quality weight? First things first. How is your training? I'm talking total work sets per body part. How many times per week do you lift? What rep ranges are you using? Are you doing compound movements, squats, dead lifts, military press, bench press? You need to be breaking down your muscles so when you are eating to grow you actually have broken down muscle fibers to rebuild and GROW.

RedeemerZG
08-23-2013, 02:41 AM

yes

it is so true.

and if you do IIFYM - people might get shocked how "unhealthy" can you eat and stay skinny.

robrobrobrob
08-23-2013, 05:02 AM
I just started counting calories for the first time in my life after years and years of thinking I ate a ton.. Turned out I was just hitting my maintenance level, I've managed to gain about 3 pounds in about 1 and half months, bare in mind I only started eating properly about 2 weeks ago.

Get an app on your phone that lets you scan the food you eat and just for one day try and eat at a surpless, see how it feels.

AAOBob
08-23-2013, 05:03 AM
Oh for JEBUS'S sake YOU ARE 15!!!!

ITS CALLED GROWING.

Come back when you are 18 and don't' need your parents permission to post.