PDA

View Full Version : How to lose FAT and not muscle during a cut

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey guys- what is the best way to do this? I feel like I might be losing muscle more then fat. I have gone from 185-168 in 2.5 months and have not seen a difference in the mirror when it comes to fat lose. Especially around my chest and stomach. Thank you!

CrayJay
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Hey guys- what is the best way to do this? I feel like I might be losing muscle more then fat. I have gone from 185-168 in 2.5 months and have not seen a difference in the mirror when it comes to fat lose. Especially around my chest and stomach. Thank you!

High protein consumption, aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight, keeping your training as intense as when you were bulking, and reducing the deficit so that you are not losing weight too quickly, a pound a week is a good goal.

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
High protein consumption, aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight, keeping your training as intense as when you were bulking, and reducing the deficit so that you are not losing weight too quickly, a pound a week is a good goal.

I haven't been lifting with that much intensity, as if I was bulking. I try to do higher reps

ironwill2008
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM

It seems you've lost at least as much muscle mass as fat.

I haven't been lifting with that much intensity, as if I was bulking. I try to do higher reps

And ^^^^ this is probably the primary cause.

A repost:

Ironwill2008 Basic Cut Plan
------------------------------

Eat far enough below your maintenance calorie level as to see about a pound a week drop in your bodyweight. This will be a calorie deficit of somewhere between 10 and 20% of your maintenance calorie level. Macro consistency is mandatory; weigh your portions and track them on one of the many online tracker sites. Guesswork and estimates of how much you're eating will fail you.

Eat the same amount of calories every day; don't attempt to vary carbs every day or to "carb cycle." These are more-advanced methods that shouldn't be employed by novices; they only add unnecessary complication to a process that even in basic form is already fairly detailed. The idea is to keeps things simple and manageable with a minimum of hassle.

Do only enough cardio to maintain your CV health; don't depend on it at this point to drop body fat; use calorie deficit to do that. Two, 20 minute sessions of LISS per week should be enough to keep things in good shape on the inside.

Cut your daily cals by cutting some carbs out of your meals. Keep your protein and fat intake intact. If you get excessively hungry during the day, snack on raw veggies; filling, with minimal calories.

By all means, continue to lift as heavy as you have been. To start lifting "light weigh for high reps" (or some other such broscience way to cut) will signal your body to burn unneeded muscle tissue, and this is especially true when on a calorie deficit. The best 'cutting' routine is the same one you used to build the muscle in the first place.

Same deal with excessive cardio; save adding-in cardio for the last few weeks of your cut, when fat loss from calorie reduction alone begins to stall out. Then would be the time to add in one or two more sessions of the cardio of your choice.

Above all, be patient, and take it slow; give things time to start working before you go overboard with calorie restriction, cardio, or anything else you think might "speed up" the process. Anything that does speed this up will very likely cost you some hard-earned muscle, and that's exactly what you don't want. In actuality, dropping fat isn't all that difficult; doing it while at the same time retaining as much muscle mass as possible is where many a 'cut' has gone down the tubes.

CrayJay
08-20-2013, 10:14 AM

As Ironwill stated, the lack of intensity is most likely the cause. Dropping 17 pounds should result in a pretty solid transformation assuming a could fat:muscle loss ratio. Do you have any progress pics? It sounds like you may want to abandon the cut and transition into a clean bulking phase. But before you do that, why has your intensity dropped, are you feeling beat down from the lower calorie intake?

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 10:15 AM
It seems you've lost at least as much muscle mass as fat.

And ^^^^ this is probably the primary cause.

A repost:

But is this the only reason I'm not seeing far lose in th mirror? I do at times add heavy workouts, but diff am not as intense with my lifting as if I was bulking.

CrayJay
08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
But is this the only reason I'm not seeing far lose in th mirror? I do at times add heavy workouts, but diff am not as intense with my lifting as if I was bulking.

Hard to say if it's the only reason. How much of a calorie deficit have you been utilizing? 17 pounds in 2.5 months seems too fast of weight loss to me, but it depends on where you started, what percent body fat approximately?

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Hard to say if it's the only reason. How much of a calorie deficit have you been utilizing? 17 pounds in 2.5 months seems too fast of weight loss to me, but it depends on where you started, what percent body fat approximately?

Well I started on June 1st...I'm eating around 2000 cal a day. I'm 5-11 and 168 now, but started at 185lb. Also, the first 2-3 weeks weight was coming off fast (prolly water) but once I got to the 177lb mark...it slowed down.

CrayJay
08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Well I started on June 1st...I'm eating around 2000 cal a day. I'm 5-11 and 168 now, but started at 185lb. Also, the first 2-3 weeks weight was coming off fast (prolly water) but once I got to the 177lb mark...it slowed down.

Yeah, losing weight more abruptly in the beginning is to be expected. But clearly something has gone wrong if your body composition hasn't become considerably more lean, showing off more muscle.

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, losing weight more abruptly in the beginning is to be expected. But clearly something has gone wrong if your body composition hasn't become considerably more lean, showing off more muscle.

Maybe I don't have a lot of muscle. Could it be that I have a low LBM? But even if I had low LBM...fat should come off, right?? I have pics on my profile too...if u wanted to look at.

bodybuilder03
08-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Well how is your diet, maybe you need more fats and need to lower the carbs? Carb cycling at all? Many other reasons why you are not losing BF. But 1-2 pounds a week is where you need to be, but there will be weeks where the scale will not change, even though you still may have dropped BF or even tighten up some. But as already stated ahead you need to keep that intense training up. You trained hard and intense to gain muscle, so why stop even though your trying to cut, that's going to help you maintain that hard earned muscle.

MrJoeyB
08-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Your diet seems to be the issue. You dropped a lot of weight but don't notice a difference in the mirror? That dsn't make much sense especially considering the weight you said. You should notice some kind of muscular build. Or something. Maybe your intensity in the gym isn't as much as you think? You might think your going hard lifting heavy and your not? What kind of numbers are you putting up? If you want to bulk you need more then a 1g of protein per pound. More towards 1.5.. Like bodybuilder03 said.. Don't drop your intensity on cuts..

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Well how is your diet, maybe you need more fats and need to lower the carbs? Carb cycling at all? Many other reasons why you are not losing BF. But 1-2 pounds a week is where you need to be, but there will be weeks where the scale will not change, even though you still may have dropped BF or even tighten up some. But as already stated ahead you need to keep that intense training up. You trained hard and intense to gain muscle, so why stop even though your trying to cut, that's going to help you maintain that hard earned muscle.

I just started carb cycling last week...trying to switch it up. See how that goes.

ironwill2008
08-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I just started carb cycling last week...trying to switch it up. See how that goes.

"carb cycling?"

Really?

Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2013.

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 11:46 AM
"carb

Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2013.

Why is this bad?

Zerste
08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple stupid. (Not that I'm calling you stupid, turn of phrase)

Keep calories/macros the same every day. You'll be fine so long as you're consistent. Continue to lift with as much intensity as you did when bulking, to your best ability. Can we get pictures?

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple stupid. (Not that I'm calling you stupid, turn of phrase)

Keep calories/macros the same every day. You'll be fine so long as you're consistent. Continue to lift with as much intensity as you did when bulking, to your best ability. Can we get pictures?

I have current pics in my profile

Vctr
08-20-2013, 12:08 PM
you cant, thats it... deal with it

mpannu1
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
you cant, thats it... deal with it

What?

ummme
08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
ignore Vctr... he seems to be spamming to reach the 50 post count to do god knows what...

CrayJay
08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
OP, how have your lifts been affected by the cut so far, are you continuing to make gains, have plateaued, or getting weaker?