PDA

View Full Version : A somewhat long-winded post boiling down to cut/mantain

Baddrummer
08-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I have read the FAQ. Read every FAQ. Read the books. Watched the videos.

- Male, 34
- Weight: ~196 midday prior to workout
- BMI: 27.1 kg/m2
- W->H ratio: 0.49
- BF: 20.7% (neck 13.75in, waist 34.5in)
- Lean Body Mass: 153.8 lb
- Goal: Drop BF to 12-15%, Increase mass, Increase lifts to standard (1.5/1.25/2.0)

I've been a beginner for about 9 months now. I began on SL, but around June I began to stall at these numbers:

(Calculated 1RM from 5RM inputs on StrengthCalc, actual stalled 5RM in brackets)

- Squat: 190 [170]
- BP: 150 [135]
- DL: 230 [225]
- Press: 90 [80]

For the past couple months I've been suffering from severe ****arounditis. I was pissed that I stalled so early. Tried ICF, All Pro, GSLP, and the dreaded custom.

- ICF: Stalled on same weight
- GSLP: Stalled
- All Pro: Didn't stall but became frustrated at the 5-week cycle.

At first I blamed it on my age, stress, distraction, or whatever however for the past couple weeks I've noticed (through myfitnesspal) that while I've managed to mantain my current weight and BF% I've been eating at a caloric defecit.

- BMR: 1875
- TDEE: 2578
- Apparent intake average ~1900/day

I also know I have not been hitting my macros. This is a clear cut case of why I was stalling so soon.

So, you ask, what is the problem?

I plan to resume 5x5 to get to the standard. However the only way I see possible is to make sure I stay at TDEE, or to go into a surplus. Considering I have very little in terms of mass (it's all in the belly as fat) should I remain at TDEE or bulk at around +400 in order to make sure I have enough, jump up about 20lbs then cut once I hit my goal? Either way I'll be monitoring my intake and at least hitting macros/calories per day.

Given my age, should I continue to try and push out a 5x5 program or slow down and jump into Madcow? At BB.com many just stick with All Pro since the progression is slower and easier on us older folks.

MrBillson
08-16-2013, 08:18 AM
The only reason to eat at maintenance is if you wish to remain the same.

At 20% bf you may want to cut for a bit and then start a slow bulk.

Personally I'd go for ICF 5x5

Baddrummer
08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the quick response :)

May be redundant but just to clarify..the ICF 5x5 or the cut version? (3x5, 2x8 accessory)

FattyMcTubbs
08-16-2013, 09:13 AM
The only reason to eat at maintenance is if you wish to remain the same.

At 20% bf you may want to cut for a bit and then start a slow bulk.

Personally I'd go for ICF 5x5

With the strength numbers he provided along with height/weight, something tells me that 20% is probably higher than that.

Baddrummer
08-16-2013, 10:51 AM
With the strength numbers he provided along with height/weight, something tells me that 20% is probably higher than that.

13.75in neck
34.5in waist

I'd post a pic but I have under 50 posts.

Gxp23
08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the quick response :)

May be redundant but just to clarify..the ICF 5x5 or the cut version? (3x5, 2x8 accessory)

Wha? Your diet represents your cut or bulk, the workout is irrelevant.

Baddrummer
08-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Wha? Your diet represents your cut or bulk, the workout is irrelevant.

I suppose it's about not being able to pregress doing 25 working reps when running at a defecit? I'm the beginner here, it's why I'm asking....

SacramentoZach
08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Before asking random people what you should do, you need to ask yourself what you want to do.

Do you want to be bigger and stronger? Eat in a surplus.

Do you want to lose bf and possibly strength? Eat in a deficit.

What is your main goal out of all this? Who do you wanna be?

Baddrummer
08-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Before asking random people what you should do, you need to ask yourself what you want to do.

Do you want to be bigger and stronger? Eat in a surplus.

Do you want to lose bf and possibly strength? Eat in a deficit.

What is your main goal out of all this? Who do you wanna be?

I did....

Its in the first post, right near the top:

"- Goal: Drop BF to 12-15%, Increase mass, Increase lifts to standard (1.5/1.25/2.0)"