PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose "I picked the wrong vice"

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2013, 10:46 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/pete-rose-says-picked-wrong-vice-alcohol-drugs-224316888.html

"I made mistakes. I canít whine about it. Iím the one that messed up and Iím paying the consequences. However, if I am given a second chance, I wonít need a third chance. And to be honest with you, I picked the wrong vice. I should have picked alcohol. I should have picked drugs or I should have picked up beating up my wife or girlfriend because if you do those three, you get a second chance. They havenít given too many gamblers a second chances in the world of baseball.Ē

So true, plenty of drunks and wife beaters in the hall, but gambling? Nah you can't be in our precious pristine hall of fame.

ShweezyBTFO
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
so sad that Pete GOAT wont get in but that POS DUIbrera will.

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 10:57 AM
so sad that Pete GOAT wont get in but that POS DUIbrera will.

What a shock, the compulsive, broke gambler in here defending him.

Seriously though, not gambling on games you're involved in is the #1 rule in sports.

If he really only ever bet on his team to win, that's just silly and it shouldn't be such a big deal, but can you really confirm that he only bet that his team would win?

gottk2x
08-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Picked the wrong sport to bet on...of course you'll get in trouble for gambling in baseball when you're involved in the world of it. Don't know why people can't understand that.

airdog93
08-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Seriously though, not gambling on games you're involved in is the #1 rule in sports.

If he really only ever bet on his team to win, that's just silly and it shouldn't be such a big deal, but can you really confirm that he only bet that his team would win?

who gives a rats ass, he holds the record for hits

Onita
08-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Can you confirm that he didn't?

Who gives a **** either way, he should be in the HoF.

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM

You're quickly becoming the dumbest posters in this section, and that's really saying something. Use common sense to figure out why it matters to break the first rule of sports.

Can you confirm that he didn't?

Who gives a **** either way, he should be in the HoF.

If you could, you could just call him a moron and he'd probably make the hall.

As it stands, it's very suspicious that he says he only bet on his team to win.

Really? Based on being around a lot of gamblers I find that hard to believe. Like I said, not gambling on your team is the number one rule in pro sports.

He realizes how stupid he was at this point. Look at all of the sh!t you can get away with in sports. You can be a fuking murderer and you're good. Rule number one- don't bet on games you're involved in.

He should be banned for stupidity tbh.

I don't have anything against him, but how fuking stupid can you be?

Big_Spaz
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. Period.

What he did was wrong, but what so many others do as well is wrong. The guy deserves a second chance and when he finally goes into the hall (hopefully before he passes ...) I will DEFINITELY be in Cooperstown to see it. Always loved Pete growing up.

-Spaz

ShweezyBTFO
08-13-2013, 11:19 AM

http://oi42.tinypic.com/25qvz2e.jpg

The irony here is hilarious.

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Is it even funnier that I make a good portion of my income playing poker?

U upset brah?

If he really did bet every single time that his team would win, then yes, he's an idiot but he should be allowed in hall.

On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time around gamblers and I find it hard to believe he never bet on other teams, or against his own.

OutWorkedByNo1
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/6922/pxx.gif

VIslander
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
There wasn't enough money in the world for Rose to throw a game. It wasn't in his DNA. He would put his life on the line to win, or even steal a base.

Some day he will be in the HOF, where he should be.

airdog93
08-13-2013, 11:28 AM
You're quickly becoming the dumbest poster in this section, and that's really saying something.

If you could, you could just call him a moron and he'd probably make the hall.

As it stands, it's very suspicious that he say he only bet on his team to win.

Really? Based being around a lot of gamblers I find that hard to believe. Like I said, not gambling on your team is the number one rule in pro sports.

He realizes how stupid he was at this point. Look at all of the sh!t you can get away with in sports. You can be a fuking murderer and you're good. Rule number one- don't bet on games you're involved in.

You should be banned for stupidity tbh.

I don't have anything against him, but how fuking stupid can you be?

strong irony. you're on a tiny chithole island in the middle of the atlantic obsessed with american sports that you have probably never played, and will probably never see live. Oh yeah not to mention you believe one of the best hitters of all time shouldn't be allowed in the HOF because of gambling...let's ignore all the DUIs, robberies, physical abuse (spouse/gf), drug use and selling....lol

Is it even funnier that I make a good portion of my income playing poker?

U upset brah?

If he really did bet every single time that his team would win, then yes, he's an idiot but he should be allowed in hall.

On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time around gamblers and I find it hard to believe he never bet on other teams, or against his own.

the means don't matter when the end result is minimum wage

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
"other guys did bad stuff too" is a foolish defense of pete rose. the rule is what it is and he knew damn well what he was risking when he was gambling. can't let him in unless they change the rule/punishment

Dave P
08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
"other guys did bad stuff too" is a foolish defense of pete rose. the rule is what it is and he knew damn well what he was risking when he was gambling. can't let him in unless they change the rule/punishment

I actually dont know the rule.

Is there somewhere I can read it?

PervedOut
08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Here's a bet you guys can take to the bank. Selig will make the HOF before Pete Rose does (not that I agree with it)

BongoBanger
08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Pete rose will make it when he dies.

srs.

mazimi18
08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
lmao jesus you just got BTFO as his username suggests

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 11:35 AM

http://cdn.firstwefeast.com/assets/2012/12/drake_laughing.gif

Iczer
08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Why is betting on baseball like the ultimate no no, but roiding up is just like a slap on the wrist even though you're giving yourself an unfair advantage? But like others have said, it's not like he was betting on losing games.

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 11:36 AM

You're quickly becoming the dumbest posters in this section, and that's really saying something.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yuy1zb.png

strong irony. you're on a tiny chithole island in the middle of the atlantic obsessed with american sports that you have probably never played, and will probably never see live. Oh yeah not to mention you believe one of the best hitters of all time shouldn't be allowed in the HOF because of gambling...let's ignore all the DUIs, robberies, physical abuse (spouse/gf), drug use and selling....lol

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1266325/kobev.gif

Mental midget status 100 % confirmed.

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 11:40 AM
I actually dont know the rule.

Is there somewhere I can read it?

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

source - http://www.theverifiabletruth.com/2007/10/mlbs-rule-21-misconduct-gambling.html

Iczer
08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
source - http://www.theverifiabletruth.com/2007/10/mlbs-rule-21-misconduct-gambling.html

yet somehow taking PED's ultimately has no impact on players eligibility and all stats/records are not impacted. I just don't get it. Take Aroid for example, he's admitted to taking PED's and is about to be suspended once again. He's going to the HOF for sure right?

airdog93
08-13-2013, 11:52 AM
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2yuy1zb.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1266325/kobev.gif[/IMG

Mental midget status 100 % confirmed.

editing out the username of that 'rep' definitely makes it seem not fake. and if i'm a mental midget, you're a functional retard, lol.

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I understand what he did was wrong and stupid, but he played balls to the wall and set a standard of how to play hard nosed baseball. He's one of the greatest to ever play. It's a travesty that he is still not in the Hall.

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
editing out the username of that 'rep' definitely makes it seem not fake. and if i'm a mental midget, you're a functional retard, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/buQNghS.gif

Now I know how sdballer and all of those guys who respond to people by telling them that they're cringing/ laughing irl at their responses feel.

Is it possible that this kid is for real? His pattern of posts would suggest so, but is such a thing even possible?

PS. The person behind that rep has posted itt. I'll take a step back so you can begin your investigation.

I'm actually smiling hard right now. This guy's the Jason Genova of the sports misc. I'd love to see the gears turning as he ponders who it could be. To observe his thought process would be a true treat.

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I understand what he did was wrong and stupid, but he played balls to the wall and set a standard of how to play hard nosed baseball. He's one of the greatest to ever play. It's a travesty that he is still not in the Hall.
i don't think anybody is arguing against the notion that he absolutely busted his ass day in and day out. i think it's a tragedy that he bet on games but hey, he did, he knew the rules. baseball can't just make some big exception for him (imho). if they change the rule by all means he should go in the next day.

yet somehow taking PED's ultimately has no impact on players eligibility and all stats/records are not impacted. I just don't get it. Take Aroid for example, he's admitted to taking PED's and is about to be suspended once again. He's going to the HOF for sure right?
i'd be floored if alex ever sees the HOF. they didn't let mike piazza in last year and he's never even been on the mitchell report or anything else. they're going to make all the big hitters from the 90's wait a long time, or not even get in, guilty or not. as for the rule situation i can only imagine that gambling was considered a bigger offense to the game at the time of the creation of these rules.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Now I know how sdballer and all of those guys who respond to people by telling them that they're cringing/ laughing irl at their responses feel.

Is it possible that this kid is for real? His pattern of posts would suggest so, but is such a thing even possible?

PS. The person behind that rep has posted itt. I'll take a step back so you can begin your investigation.

I'm actually smiling hard right now. This guy's the Jason Genova of the sports misc. I'd love to see the gears turning as he ponders who it could be. To observe his thought process would be a true treat.

This is my exact facial rsponse to airdogs posts

http://i.imgur.com/eFT7sKd.gif

Mrs Grudge
08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
i'd be floored if alex ever sees the HOF. they didn't let mike piazza in last year and he's never even been on the mitchell report or anything else. they're going to make all the big hitters from the 90's wait a long time, or not even get in, guilty or not. as for the rule situation i can only imagine that gambling was considered a bigger offense to the game at the time of the creation of these rules.

So who the fuk is going to be in the HOF? I don't understand why the MLB would do this, it makes zero sense.

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 12:28 PM
So who the fuk is going to be in the HOF? I don't understand why the MLB would do this, it makes zero sense.
that i agree with. i'm a mets homer and the piazza thing bugged me, he's never had any hard evidence against him. guilty until proven innocent.

as for who would go to the HOF i figure guys like glavine, pedro and maddux will get in well before clemens or bonds even sniff the hall.

LikeAMachine
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
What's going on itt

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4vf2iBoKH1r5jt46o1_400.gif

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2013, 12:37 PM
that i agree with. i'm a mets homer and the piazza thing bugged me, he's never had any hard evidence against him. guilty until proven innocent.

as for who would go to the HOF i figure guys like glavine, pedro and maddux will get in well before clemens or bonds even sniff the hall.

The HOF is a joke, anyone who played in the 90's is gonna have hard time getting in. Bonds not being a first ballot inductee was comical and shows how flawed the voting is.

ShweezyBTFO
08-13-2013, 01:08 PM
This is my exact facial rsponse to airdogs posts

http://i.imgur.com/eFT7sKd.gif

same here brah, same here.

airdog93
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM

the fact that you think i spend any time of my day (even misc/sports misc time) thinking about you, sdballer, sweezy, or any of the other mongoloids of the sports misc is hilarious and sad. let's not forget you're calling out my intelligence...while hating on pete rose for gambling (even though you yourself are a gambler). then again this is the sports misc...if you dont subscribe to the circle-jerk that is NFL/CFB/Lebron then you are one of the worst posters :rolleyes: cant forget the rep system either, the last form of ad homenim you can possibly muster

ShweezyBTFO
08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
red red red red red redredredredredredredredredredredredredredred

can someone translate this for me? thanks.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 02:18 PM
can someone translate this for me? thanks.

"I wish Shweezy and sdballer liked me"

SompletelyCober
08-13-2013, 02:31 PM
the fact that you think i spend any time of my day (even misc/sports misc time) thinking about you, sdballer, sweezy, or any of the other mongoloids of the sports misc is hilarious and sad. let's not forget you're calling out my intelligence...while hating on pete rose for gambling (even though you yourself are a gambler). then again this is the sports misc...if you dont subscribe to the circle-jerk that is NFL/CFB/Lebron then you are one of the worst posters :rolleyes: cant forget the rep system either, the last form of ad homenim you can possibly muster

http://i.imgur.com/88ACawS.gif

PureCardio
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Why is betting on baseball like the ultimate no no, but roiding up is just like a slap on the wrist even though you're giving yourself an unfair advantage? But like others have said, it's not like he was betting on losing games.

The known juicers aren't touching the hall of fame for a long time. Look at the votes that Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Rafa Palm, etc got this year.

The highest vote getter was Bonds at 36%, lol thats years away.

PureCardio
08-13-2013, 03:14 PM
cant forget the rep system either, the last form of ad homenim you can possibly muster

The rep system is a pretty accurate filter, I'm sorry you are a phaggot.

LostOne287
08-13-2013, 03:27 PM

Lol A-Rod is NEVER getting in the hall. Out of all known juicers he has the least chance of getting in because of the manner he's gone about everything. He's probably the most hated player of all time.

Onita
08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
The known juicers aren't touching the hall of fame for a long time. Look at the votes that Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Rafa Palm, etc got this year.

The highest vote getter was Bonds at 36%, lol thats years away.

Its pathetic that two of the greatest hitters in history aren't in the HoF.

EsB818
08-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Would def like to see Pete Rose make the hall before he dies. Was one hell of a competitor and ball player. Was def no saint, but then again neither was Ty Cobb, and a lot of other players in the hall.

Vitamin0
08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
God damn, you people are so dense. Do you not understand that there is NO room for gambling in sports? Think about opening that can of worms. Look what happened to the NBA and their refs. Has anyone taken that league seriously since? Now you're trying to say the MLB should let Pete in and more or less condone gambling in their sport. It's about the integrity of the game. Do you even logic?

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2013, 08:12 PM
God damn, you people are so dense. Do you not understand that there is NO room for gambling in sports? Think about opening that can of worms. Look what happened to the NBA and their refs. Has anyone taken that league seriously since? Now you're trying to say the MLB should let Pete in and more or less condone gambling in their sport. It's about the integrity of the game. Do you even logic?

Baseball has no integrity. The hall is filled with drunks, womanizers, drug abusers, woman beaters, racists etc. They didn't even allow blacks in the sport until 1947, but Pete Rose really tarnished the game when he bet on his own team.

AriGhold
08-13-2013, 08:40 PM
pete is an asshat.

maybe if you didn't lie for 25 years things would be different. but you didn't man up and theres nothing people hate worse than a liar.

domestic violence, alcoholism, drugs are all worse than gambling on a personal and moral level, but in the business world what he did was way worse.

do you think a company is going to be more forgiving of a person who gets in a fight with his wife that comes clean about it or a guy deceived the company for years in some financial aspect and then when confronted by it lied repeatedly? the company cares more about their bottom line and rose's transgressions hurt baseball's bottom line more than any of that other stuff. oh and did i mention he lied about it and people don't like being lied to?

rhyfelwr
08-13-2013, 08:46 PM

The NBA's gambling incident and Pete Rose's gambling are two very different things.

Vitamin0
08-14-2013, 07:00 AM
The NBA's gambling incident and Pete Rose's gambling are two very different things.

Refs fixing games
Players fixing games (who knows how many games Pete bet on)

Money shouldn't influence any aspect of games. Why would a fan watch anything that is rigged?

BFast55
08-14-2013, 07:48 AM
He's got a point.

Vitamin0
08-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Baseball has no integrity. The hall is filled with drunks, womanizers, drug abusers, woman beaters, racists etc. They didn't even allow blacks in the sport until 1947, but Pete Rose really tarnished the game when he bet on his own team.

You're missing the point.

Which scenario is worse for the sport?

A goalie letting in a puck to earn some money from a bet.
A goalie going home and getting a DUI after leaving some bar.

*Obviously from a statistical standpoint, Pete Rose is a hall of famer no question. The WORST thing you can do in sports is rig the outcome of games. MLB would NEVER let him in on that principle alone.

ObedEdom
08-14-2013, 08:10 AM

the only treason this thread is anywhere near entertaining.

but cotdamnit, this chit made my day

JDT87
08-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Everyone here is aware that neither Bud Selig or the MLB really has any say on who gets into Cooperstown, right? The HOF is completely separate from the MLB and independently decided to rule Pete Rose inelligable after he was banned from baseball.

Regardless of what "baseball" decides, the HOF should do the right thing and give the all time hits leader his day.

Vayne
08-14-2013, 08:53 AM
A shame Pete won't get in but I don't think a lot of people will care since baseballs popularity is down a lot.

ShweezyBTFO
08-14-2013, 08:59 AM
the only treason this thread is anywhere near entertaining.

but cotdamnit, this chit made my day

The funniest part is that he's been talking that same shiit to me non-stop for the past 6 weeks. It's like he doesn't even remember sending me that PM.

Vitamin0
08-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Everyone here is aware that neither Bud Selig or the MLB really has any say on who gets into Cooperstown, right? The HOF is completely separate from the MLB and independently decided to rule Pete Rose inelligable after he was banned from baseball.

Regardless of what "baseball" decides, the HOF should do the right thing and give the all time hits leader his day.

Good point, but even so, I think MLB's interest are in line with the HOF voters interests.