PDA

View Full Version : Who on this list was NOT juicing?

yeshli2nuts
08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
The top 40 home run hitters in the MLB from 2000. Even good guys like Edgar Martinez hit 37 homers that year when he was 37 years old while his next best year was 29 two years before that.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/307uiw6.jpg

NeilWagner
08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
LMAO I forgot Tony Batista hit 41 home runs for the Jays. Talk about a guy who fell off fast.

yeshli2nuts
08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Looking at that list, there are so many guys who had a few years of big home runs and fell off fast. Brian Giles, Jeremy Burnitz, Carl Everett, Geoff Jenkins, Phil Nevin, Jose Cruz Jr.

mayweathermusic
08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I'll say Guerrero, Edgar, Hurt, Griffey and Thome. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if I was wrong on any of them.

I forgot about Brad Fullmer. That guy was definitely roided out of his mind.

NeilWagner
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
With Cruz Jr that's more a case of him growing up with ridiculous talent but being a giant phaggot who refused to keep working. He could have been on roids too because hey no one knows, but that certainly wasn't the biggest factor in his decline.

Impurityz
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Sammy Sosa

TTexasTT
08-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Wish I could say Bagwell...

AndrettiFamily
08-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Wish i could say magglio ordonez but Canseco already called him out

yeshli2nuts
08-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I'll say Guerrero, Edgar, Hurt, Griffey and Thome. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if I was wrong on any of them.

I forgot about Brad Fullmer. That guy was definitely roided out of his mind.

Thome got huge all of a sudden in the late 90s

http://oi44.tinypic.com/deuxlc.jpg

OutWorkedByNo1
08-12-2013, 09:36 PM
probably only a hand few. i do believe Thomas and Thome were on the juice, jus never got caught like the rest of the big names. due to Griffey producing a shoe that adds inches to my frame, i would say he was all natural.

homicidal_misc
08-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Slammin Sam

yieldtonothing
08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
griffey and mo vaughn

homicidal_misc
08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
17 dudes on that list with a 1000+ OPS and tons of others in the 900s. LOL

ThaWorldIsYours
08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Save us Ken Griffey Jr., you're our only hope

ThaWorldIsYours
08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Just noticed Big Mac had 32 HR in only 236 ABs.....

3lixer
08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
PED's brought baseball back. After the 94-95 strike nobody was watching baseball. McGwire & Sosa made baseball fun/interesting again. In reality I don't care one bit about PED's. It's not like all the dominant pitchers of that era weren't on them either.

I think from that list Chipper is clean. That's about it.

amikaelmorris
08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
griffey and mo vaughn

yknow these are the 2 i'd probably agree with most

mo was just a fkin huge powerful dude and griffey was well, griffey

austin.j.taylor
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
i would say Helton

Reptarr
08-12-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd say Helton, Griffey, Mo Vaughn, Chipper, Thome, Garrett Anderson, and Jermaine Dye.

And even then I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 in my list used

kaoyaku
08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Junior baby

dweeegs
08-12-2013, 11:04 PM

I put Vlad in that category too... looked like a caveman swinging a club

LostOne287
08-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Probably the only ones on that list that weren't juiced up are Griffey, Helton, Edgar, Thome and Chipper.

I'd like to believe that Vlad and Thomas were natty but I have my doubts about both of them.

sandpapergooch
08-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Mo Vaughn was in the mitchell report

firstandgoal
08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Probably Frank Thomas, Vlad, Griffey, Chipper and Tim Salmon

LostOne287
08-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Probably Frank Thomas, Vlad, Griffey, Chipper and Tim Salmon

Tim Salmon's one of the most obvious juicers on the list

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/flywheels/Cardboard%20Collections/10-13-10008.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/226/431/51139561_display_image.jpg?1314216586

BenadrylBandit
08-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Barry Bonds

Never failed a piss test.

firstandgoal
08-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Tim Salmon's one of the most obvious juicers on the list

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/flywheels/Cardboard%20Collections/10-13-10008.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/226/431/51139561_display_image.jpg?1314216586

Now you are reaching those pics don't even do your accusation justice. during his later years he had a bit of belly and was fatter, not buffer.

Gerald151
08-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Why the fuk do ppl think Chipper was clean?

LostOne287
08-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Now you are reaching those pics don't even do your accusation justice. during his later years he had a bit of belly and was fatter, not buffer.

Are you blind? When he came into the league he was a tooth pick. Throughout the 90's (steroid era) when he was putting up huge numbers was when he gained a ton of muscle. He didn't get fat until his last few years which was probably when he stopped juicing.

sT0RMsTR1K3R
08-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Griffey Jr and Chipper. The only ones. smh

And if they juiced too then i dont wanna live on this plane anymore

srs

ko5567
08-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Griffey, Chipper, Vlad, and Dye

I also want to say thomas but im not sure.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
fkn lol @ anyone thinking griffey was clean.

the naivety is insane.

cor030
08-13-2013, 01:56 AM

the naivety is insane.

it's ignorant to just assume he was juicing because everyone else is.

out of every dominant player in that era he has the most evidence supporting a clean career.

lsiberian
08-13-2013, 08:38 AM
the naivety is insane.

If Griffey juice he'd have been over 60 easily.

hardestout89
08-13-2013, 08:47 AM
A-Rod

Mullis1098
08-13-2013, 09:04 AM
I think the general consensus on Griffey and Chipper is simple.. they were ballers from day one, had their prime years around 27-30, and slowly faltered off. They weren't jacking 60 homers at age 40, and they certainly didn't just up and go HAM one year and never heard from again.

It really blows my mind how anyone could say that were juicing. Sure, no one knows for sure. But look at their stats, and more importantly, their injury report in the later years.

ThaWorldIsYours
08-13-2013, 10:52 AM

the naivety is insane.

Never gained much size, the size he did gain was just "grown man" size

Career riddled with injuries (the general thought is that if he was on HGH like most of these enormous guys he would have stayed much healthier)

Always had power from a young age, didn't randomly develop 40 HR power at age 32

Prime years correspond with what they should have been

Had great numbers in the prime of his career but never had absurdly ridiculous seasons like Big Mac or Sosa even though he was leagues more talented than them

He's got a better case than most, that's for sure

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Never gained much size, the size he did gain was just "grown man" size

Career riddled with injuries (if he was on HGH like most of these enormous guys he would have stayed much healthier)

Always had power from a young age, didn't randomly develop 40 HR power at age 32

Prime years correspond with what they should have been

Had great numbers in the prime of his career but never had absurdly ridiculous seasons like Big Mac or Sosa even though he was leagues more talented than them

He's got a better case than most, that's for sure

Career riddled with injures, that is what happens to people all the time when they take steroids. That is like, steroids 101, the player gets a naggng injury. Exacthing happened to Nomar, who it cameout was on steroids, and it was WAY more likely that nomar was clean than Griffey.

Nomar was a gym rat who was constantly trying to add sze.

It's ignorant to blatantly assume everyone ELSE did roids (lol this fkn thread is basically stating that 2 out f 40 dudes are clean) while maintaining that ONE GUY who hit tons of HR's was clean.

So naive it's ridiculous.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 10:57 AM

out of every dominant player in that era he has the most evidence supporting a clean career.

You're in a thread naming 2-3 guys out of a list of FORTY that aren't juicing, and you come to the conclusion that it's "ignorant" to say griffey juiced.

What in the fuk.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/227/872/00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.gif

LikeAMachine
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Thome is the only one I could even mention.

premo954
08-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Chipper and Griffey

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Griffey has better number than every steroid era player not name Barry Bonds
Griffey has a resume and home run count better than every steroid era player not named Barry Bonds
Griffey is the only player NEVER mentioned as a possible steroid user.

Bonds never failed a piss test, neither did Griffey, yet somehow Griffey is the face on clean players in an era of dirty hitters and pitchers, yet bonds is crucified.

I bet you phaggots thought A Rod was clean too. Lol.

Honestly it's pathetic. Especially since half of you probably just idolize Griffey because you bought his video game and were 5 when he was in his prime so therefore he is infallible.

Odds are better that he DID steroids than that he didn't. Face it nerds.

Anyone stating "He wasn't jacked" or "he didn't blow up in size" neither did TONS of the people on those lists. That is a moot point.

airdog93
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
You're in a thread naming 2-3 guys out of a list of FORTY that aren't juicing, and you come to the conclusion that it's "ignorant" to say griffey juiced.

What in the fuk.

[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/227/872/00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.gif[/ig]

because those 40 players were selected at random right? not like three-fourths of them are named in the mitchell report or have some other kind of controversy attached to them...

Griffey has a resume and home run count better than every steroid era player not named Barry Bonds

Bonds never failed a piss test, neither did Griffey, yet somehow Griffey is the face on clean players in an era of dirty hitters and pitchers, yet bonds is crucified.

Honestly it's pathetic. Especially since half of you probably just idolize Griffey because you bought his video game and were 5 when he was in his prime so therefore he is infallible.

Anyone stating "He wasn't jacked" or "he didn't blow up in size" neither did TONS of the people on those lists. That is a moot point.

stick to sucking lebros cock in nba threads, baseball is not for you

ThaWorldIsYours
08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

So this is all about you being upset about Bonds being crucified then?

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 11:19 AM

it is far from ignorant to assume he was on tech at some point in his career. just because he aged poorly doesn't mean he was clean. we'll probably never know but assuming he was clean looks pretty foolish to me.

just because a guy wasn't physically massive doesn't mean he didn't take PEDs.

also didn't Piazza hit like 38 homers for the mets in 2000? did they forget him?

ThaWorldIsYours
08-13-2013, 11:32 AM
because those 40 players were selected at random right? not like three-fourths of them are named in the mitchell report or have some other kind of controversy attached to them...

Exactly

Griffey's name has always remained clean after all this time, all the other stars from that era have fallen by the wayside

cor030
08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
it is far from ignorant to assume he was on tech at some point in his career. just because he aged poorly doesn't mean he was clean. we'll probably never know but assuming he was clean looks pretty foolish to me.

just because a guy wasn't physically massive doesn't mean he didn't take PEDs.

also didn't Piazza hit like 38 homers for the mets in 2000? did they forget him?

It's ignorant when there is no evidence to support it other than "well everyone else was" and plenty of legitimate evidence against it.

-Often injured
-He was naturally gifted and one of those once in a generation prospects
-not a single player, report, trainer, etc has accused him of it

To me the biggest reason I believe he was clean is how big of a prospect he was even way before he was drafted. I've read tons regarding him as a prospect before being drafted and the kid was just a natural talent. Incredibly athlete from day 1.

I'm not saying he was clean, just saying for me I think he is until proven otherwise.

Forumite
08-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Chipper and Jr. I can't be so confident in any of the others.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
It's ignorant when there is no evidence to support it other than "well everyone else was" and plenty of legitimate evidence against it.

-Often injured

To me the biggest reason I believe he was clean is how big of a prospect he was even way before he was drafted. I've read tons regarding him as a prospect before being drafted and the kid was just a natural talent. Incredibly athlete from day 1.

I'm not saying he was clean, just saying for me I think he is until proven otherwise.

Man you are fkn retarded.

Naturally gifted? What were all these other legends? Talentless hacks that used steroids to become the best hitters to ever grace the game?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

For everyone but Griffey from the steroid era it is guilty til proven innocent, yet you flip the script for ONE GUY and claim objectivity.

Suck a dck rofl.

The level of stupidity and naivety in baseball fans is unmatched in any group of people on the planet.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 12:01 PM
So this is all about you being upset about Bonds being crucified then?

Are you retarded? Dead srs. That entire paragraph and you dissect bonds name and nothing else? Hahaha, what??

Griffey has the same numbers as all these other players, in the exact same era, where everyone was guilty until proven innocent, and you morons put this dude on a pedestal because you played his video game and claim he was "naturally talented"

I have never heard a worse argument in my life. Was A Rod not talented? Bonds wasn't talented?

Sigh. You guys are retarded lol

ThaWorldIsYours
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Are you retarded? Dead srs. That entire paragraph and you dissect bonds name and nothing else? Hahaha, what??

Griffey has the same numbers as all these other players, in the exact same era, where everyone was guilty until proven innocent, and you morons put this dude on a pedestal because you played his video game and claim he was "naturally talented"

I have never heard a worse argument in my life. Was A Rod not talented? Bonds wasn't talented?

Just didn't feel like responding to the rest of your conjecture, but I noticed you kept bringing up Bonds so I figured "maybe he's just an irate Bonds fan."

I'm not sure if you've heard of the Mitchell Report, or have been paying attention to the last 15 years, but nearly every player on that list has either been accused by a trainer, fellow player, or a guy who literally sold them steroids personally EXCEPT Griffey, many of them have come clean and admitted to using. That's why people give Griffey the benefit of the doubt.

I also don't understand why you're so confrontational, I've never had a problem with you in the years I've been on the Sports Misc, 9 times out of 10 we've agreed with eachother on almost every opinion and even debated along side one another (figuratively, lol) in LeBron threads or other threads, you can check my post history. Then you disagree with 1 opinion and ask if I'm retarded. You resort to ad hominem's without fail in every single debate.

airdog93
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Man you are fkn retarded.

Naturally gifted? What were all these other legends? Talentless hacks that used steroids to become the best hitters to ever grace the game?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

For everyone but Griffey from the steroid era it is guilty til proven innocent, yet you flip the script for ONE GUY and claim objectivity.

Suck a dck rofl.

The level of stupidity and naivety in baseball fans is unmatched in any group of people on the planet.

funniest thing to ever come from a heat bandwagoner

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Just didn't feel like responding to the rest of your conjecture, but I noticed you kept bringing up Bonds so I figured "maybe he's just an irate Bonds fan."

I'm not sure if you've heard of the Mitchell Report, or have been paying attention to the last 15 years, but nearly every player on that list has either been accused by a trainer, fellow player, or a guy who literally sold them steroids personally EXCEPT Griffey, many of them have come clean and admitted to using. That's why people give Griffey the benefit of the doubt.

I also don't understand why you're so confrontational, I've never had a problem with you in the years I've been on the Sports Misc, 9 times out of 10 we've agreed with eachother on almost every opinion and even debated along side one another (figuratively, lol) in LeBron threads or other threads, you can check my post history. Then you disagree with 1 opinion and ask if I'm retarded. You resort to ad hominem's without fail in every single debate.

You taking my internet insults as confrontation is your problem, not mine. If you can't take someone calling you retarded on the sports misc then I have got some bad nuwz.

Ad hominem is not the same as what goes on when I call you a retard. I am asking if you are actually mentally handicapped to see an entire list of players (NOT all of whom are mentioned in the mitchell report or any further steroid allegations) yet you steadfastly stand by ONE player who simply doesn't pass the eye test and is generally viewed as the golden boy.

Fun fact, A Rod was viewed as the Golden boy as well. What if Griffey WAS on steroids? Then what? Do you just casually brush this entire thing aside as if it never happened or do you accept your own faulty logic of him being such a "natural talent"

The irony of you telling me I am using ad hominem and then using that as the basis of your "argument" is not lost on me, I assure you.

TL;DR Griffey closed his circle better than other star players and you use this as the basis of his being clean in an era literally PACKED with juicers.

sdballer5588
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Anyways good luck convincing yourself, apparently, that Griffey was clean, because I certainly don't care to post any more than I already have. You have no real rebuttal except that he never failed a test.

Neither did Bonds. Later hater.

ThaWorldIsYours
08-13-2013, 01:19 PM
TL;DR Griffey closed his circle better than other star players and you use this as the basis of his being clean in an era literally PACKED with juicers.

And you using the argument that he played in an era with juicers so he must be guilty is a MUCH better argument, lol

You said it yourself, he passes the physical eye test. He also passes the statistical eye test. His stats were great but not outrageously inflated. His stats were never as ridiculous as Big Mac or Sammy Sosa during their juiced out prime, even though everybody will tell you Griffey was much more talented than either of them. He was the 2nd most talented player of his era behind Bonds and his stats reflect that. He didn't have any sudden jump in production in the middle of his career. He was consistently great when he was healthy until he turned 30, then he battled injuries, coming back to have decent to good years but never reaching the levels he did when he was young and healthy. That's a perfectly normal and archetypal career arc. There was no outlier season at age 34 where he belted 52 homers and played 158 healthy games.

So...

Physical eye test = pass
statistical eye test = pass
Accusations/rumors/allegation test = pass

If it comes out that Griffey used during his career I'll gladly eat my words. But even if I turn out to be wrong, that doesn't make my logic wrong necessarily. I think you should be guilty until proven innocent UNLESS there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence such as a) your hat size goes up 4 sizes at age 29, b) you have the best season of your career after age 30, after being a largely average player most of your career, c) you put on 50 pounds of muscle randomly and come up to the plate looking like Hulk Hogan. Most of the players on that 50 player list fall into one of those categories except Griffey and a few others.

You brought up Bonds again and the fact he never failed a test. Bonds didn't have to fail a test, he's the most obvious user of that entire era. He fails the physical eye test, fails the statistical eye test, and fails the allegation/clean name test (obviously). Trying to compare him to Griffey based on the fact neither failed a test is just weak.

Murph0408
08-13-2013, 01:25 PM

-Often injured

fair reasons but at the same time there have been plenty of guilty players who were injury prone, great prospects as kids and never before accused.
Griffey had about 550 AB's each year in the first 3 full seasons of his career and hit 22, 22, and 27 homers. he then hit 45 the next season and proceeded to have seasons in the 40's and 50's throughout the "steroid era." i'm not outright accusing him but i'm just as skeptical of him as any other player. we'll never know the whole truth.

Gerald151
08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I think the general consensus on Griffey and Chipper is simple.. they were ballers from day one, had their prime years around 27-30, and slowly faltered off. They weren't jacking 60 homers at age 40, and they certainly didn't just up and go HAM one year and never heard from again.

It really blows my mind how anyone could say that were juicing. Sure, no one knows for sure. But look at their stats, and more importantly, their injury report in the later years.

It's not possible that they were on early in their career and decided to get off?

And injuries doesn't help their case. Gear can often lead to injuries. HGH is typically the healer.

monsterBEN
08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Anyways good luck convincing yourself, apparently, that Griffey was clean, because I certainly don't care to post any more than I already have. You have no real rebuttal except that he never failed a test.

Neither did Bonds. Later hater.

Take a Xanax bro. You go 0 to 60 on anyone who has a dissenting opinion to yours. You come across as either having a 4 incher, or get/got picked on IRL. It's not a good look.

Goby
08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Thome got huge all of a sudden in the late 90s

http://oi44.tinypic.com/deuxlc.jpg

Looks like he just got fat

Also baseball needs to go back to this

Way more fun than having the HR leader only hit like 40 and having super pitchers

LostOne287
08-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Lol at everybody responding to the phaggot troll. Comes into every baseball related thread to rustle jimmies for the hell of it and everybody takes the bait smh.

solidus2k3
08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
don't care either way

firstandgoal
08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Are you blind? When he came into the league he was a tooth pick. Throughout the 90's (steroid era) when he was putting up huge numbers was when he gained a ton of muscle. He didn't get fat until his last few years which was probably when he stopped juicing.

Again stop exaggerating. you call him toothpick? The ones who were smaller but got huge were Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa.

Here is a pic of Tim Salmon with Mike Piazza in 1994, doesn't look like a toothpick to me plus he never put on obvious size he might have put on a few more pounds of bulk which is normal as you get older, but he was always one of the more athletic built players
http://mlblogsdodgersphotog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/0021.jpg?w=555&h=444

He was actually in better shape too in his early years.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jWQAbqLyTJE/T9O15bhqfSI/AAAAAAAAF04/NLXVtz5S4sE/s400/salmon5.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0UwM8VTCcik/T9O2AHBcrkI/AAAAAAAAF1A/rAR-TPEmyOI/s1600/salmon6.jpg

2000 I don't see much size difference
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bhtDjdO4rBI/T9O2J7LQPrI/AAAAAAAAF1Q/dgey1qFcaQ0/s400/salmon8.jpg

Haste007
08-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Just noticed Big Mac had 32 HR in only 236 ABs.....

This needs more discussion lol.

ToolTime2120
08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Geoff Jenkins brah..face of the Brewers for a decade. Man did he fall off fast

Daewoo_Lanos
08-13-2013, 08:27 PM

not to mention Griffey basically doubled his HR numbers literally overnight.

all this idolizing of Griffey. At his best, which was likely steroid-enhanced, he still wasn't better than a clean Bonds in the 90s.

Daewoo_Lanos
08-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Bonds was considered the most gifted player every scout ever saw when he was 18. they just thought he was a spoiled brat, which he proved by going to college instead of signing with the Giants right out of high school because he wanted more money from them.

But yes, Bonds was not naturally talented. That's why guys like Arod had to take steroids their entire career to be almost as good as Bonds was in his pre-steroid prime.

These phaggots seem to forgot that Bonds on steroids was literally like 2001 Shaq playing against 10th grade girls.