PDA

View Full Version : Europeans who criticize American sports for being too commercialized...

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Somebody tell me what the **** is going on with uniforms over there

http://images.football365.com/13/04/800x600/Real-Madrid-v-Levante-Cristiano-Ronaldo-goal_2925706.jpg

http://www.softsia.com/screenshots/Lionel-Messi_qxg6.jpg

http://criches90.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/england.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67651000/jpg/_67651981_davidbeckham.jpg

brb playing for the Vodafones, dafuk

travellingbrah
08-10-2013, 02:33 AM

[img]http://images.football365.com/13/04/800x600/Real-Madrid-v-Levante-Cristiano-Ronaldo-goal_2925706.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.softsia.com/screenshots/Lionel-Messi_qxg6.jpg[img]

[img]http://criches90.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/england.jpg[img]

[img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67651000/jpg/_67651981_davidbeckham.jpg[img]

brb playing for the Vodafones, dafuk

The game doesn't get interrupted by commercials breaks. It's the lesser of the 2 evils imo.

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 02:35 AM
The game doesn't get interrupted by commercials breaks. It's the lesser of the 2 evils imo.
Commercial breaks come at natural stoppages of play. They don't stop play while the quarterback is looking for a receiver to plug Toyotas.

If you want a jersey to support your team do you at least get a free one, paid for by the company emblazoned across the chest?

MurkinSeason
08-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Ugly ass **** cuz

travellingbrah
08-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Commercial breaks come at natural stoppages of play. They don't stop play while the quarterback is looking for a receiver to plug Toyotas.

If you want a jersey to support your team do you at least get a free one, paid for by the company emblazoned across the chest?

TV timeouts in basketball. Football drags out the commercial breaks and unnecessarily goes to commercials before and after a kickoff. If you've ever been to a game you'll recognize this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/NFL_Sideline_Television_Coordinators.jpg/220px-NFL_Sideline_Television_Coordinators.jpg

The NFL has a certain number of commercials required for each quarter (what the ****? srs), and the game is way drawn out by them. All sports are commercialized. In soccer it's a little logo on the shirt in American sports it's an hours worth of commercials.

I mean the "2 minute warning" originated to create "tension building time"...aka money time. There's no need for a commercial break there.. NFL is completely centered around advertisements. The sport has evolved to allow for more commercial breaks. The 2 minute warning is a perfect example of this. I get the need for a 2 minutes warning, I don't get the need for commercials after it. You're fighting a losing battle.

HOW HORRIBLE OF BARCELONA TO HAVE A CHARITY WRITTEN ACROSS THEIR SHIRT!

stevemckenna
08-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Agree with OP to a certain extent. I hate watching NFL games where it's 1st and 10 with 2 seconds left in the 1st quarter and that's when they go to a 4 minute commercial, only to come back, run 1 play, and go on another 4 minute commercial break.

Oh and also:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5034192377217826&pid=15.1

in b4 "but they're practice jerseys!"
in b4 NFL slowly eases ad jersey in preseason game
in b4 NFL eases ad jersey in regular season games (it's inevitable).

ace_gauntlit
08-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Sponsorships you imbecile

hewhodar3s
08-10-2013, 04:45 AM
It's just a way to increase revenue, companies pay massive amounts to have their logos on shirts. Footballers aren't cheap and they need to be paid for somehow. We also put sponsorship patterns on the seats, like this standard chartered logo at Anfield (not sure if you do it over there or not)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/5708_10151794834142573_1993604961_n.jpg

ThatKindaGuy
08-10-2013, 06:34 AM

http://www.softsia.com/screenshots/Lionel-Messi_qxg6.jpg

Good job making yet another uninformed post, reinforcing the stereotype people have of some Americans ...

On 14 July 2006, the club announced a five-year agreement with UNICEF, which includes having the UNICEF logo on their shirts. The agreement has the club donate €1.5 million per year to UNICEF (0.7 percent of its ordinary income, equal to the UN International Aid Target, cf. ODA) via the FC Barcelona Foundation.

BRB - mad that Barcelona is donating to a humanitarian non-profit organization and promoting them on the largest stage in sports ...

Youppi
08-10-2013, 06:38 AM
this is just part of what makes their jerseys so ****ing ugly.

Future24
08-10-2013, 06:43 AM

They take specific tv time outs...

And if you think that nba and nfl won't get ads on jerseys soon you're an idiot

airdog93
08-10-2013, 08:33 AM

football has natural stoppages of play after each down, timeout, kickoff, teams switching fields, end of quartetr, end of half, 2 minute warning....

wildchild11
08-10-2013, 09:07 AM
I cringe every time the OP makes a thread outside of his knowledge or comfort zone, which is San Fran sports and nothing else.

ShweezyBTFO
08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Good job making yet another uninformed post, reinforcing the stereotype people have of some Americans ...

BRB - mad that Barcelona is donating to a humanitarian non-profit organization and promoting them on the largest stage in sports ...

good job making yet another self-righteous post, it's all you're good at so I guess yay for you.

sups31
08-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Strong this.

evansanity
08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
more commercials = more money into sport = pay players more = better players = better sport = more entertaining

lol at poverty euro sports

ThatKindaGuy
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
good job making yet another self-righteous post, it's all you're good at so I guess yay for you.

Your stalkerish fanboyism of me is amusing.

ManOfSteel2013
08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Ah the whole inferiority complex American football fans get with World Football. I was bred an American and grew up loving American football but World Football has won my heart over. The overabundance of commercial breaks along with the painfully slow pace of an American football game has made me lose love for the sport, I still watch it and like it but not nearly as much as World Football. Seriously American football fans, quit the Napoleon Compex you have with world football and just focusing on loving your own sport and making it better.

Krunk Fu
08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Agree with OP to a certain extent. I hate watching NFL games where it's 1st and 10 with 2 seconds left in the 1st quarter and that's when they go to a 4 minute commercial, only to come back, run 1 play, and go on another 4 minute commercial break.

Oh and also:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5034192377217826&pid=15.1

in b4 "but they're practice jerseys!"
in b4 NFL slowly eases ad jersey in preseason game
in b4 NFL eases ad jersey in regular season games (it's inevitable).

Uhh but it is a practice jersey... Da fuq? This post rustled my jimmies.. You stupid cuz?

Future24
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Uhh but it is a practice jersey... Da fuq? This post rustled my jimmies.. You stupid cuz?For now...there's already talks of putting ads on the back and bottom of NBA jerseys. You know how much money the Heat would make off putting an ad on LeBron's jersey? Surprised they haven't already.

evansanity
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
when I watch soccer they usually have an ad bar placed on the bottom screen when the match is being played.

EvilChicken
08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Niners just sold the naming rights of the stadium to Levi's for 200 mill, this happens everywhere.

TBProdigy
08-10-2013, 11:10 AM
when I watch soccer they usually have an ad bar placed on the bottom screen when the match is being played.

That's because you watch it on some chitty stream you god dam tool.

airdog93
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
more commercials = more money into sport = pay players more = better players = better sport = more entertaining

lol@ believing more money=higher quality of athlete

evansanity
08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
That's because you watch it on some chitty stream you god dam tool.

uhh how bout noo.....

I watch it on Fox Soccer and NBC sport network. There is always a banner with a miller lite ad that comes up on the bottom of the screen during the fixture....

AndrettiFamily
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
TV Timeouts have ruined american sports. Brb 48 minute basketball game runs on TV for 3 hours. Sometimes exceeds 3 hours. Same for football games. Brb have to take a break before kickoff, after kickoff, before extra point, after extra point, before punt, after punt. 60 minute game takes 3 hours. Sickening. Soccer has maintained its integrity, except for their suspect refs calling in favor of a certain club. Just about every sport has been compromised somehow. 1955-1995 was the golden age for sports. what we have now is sad, been taken over by the almighty dollar

VTheKing
08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
best part is when euro hockey fans complain about the NHL's commercial breaks when the guys they cheer for look like this:

http://media.syracuse.com/sports/photo/11833167-large.jpg

http://mobilekustannus.fi/site/kuvat/1599.jpg

even the ****ing refs lmao

http://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/10/REFSSSSSSSSS.jpg

hewhodar3s
08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
uhh how bout noo.....

I watch it on Fox Soccer and NBC sport network. There is always a banner with a miller lite ad that comes up on the bottom of the screen during the fixture....

That was due to your broadcaster adding the ad's...!

Phaze2
08-10-2013, 12:05 PM
****in rather have ads than commercials, be prepared for more commercials this year in the nfl than ever before, they're now going to do commercials after every extra point and KR rather than 1 of the two. It's a fukin joke, the pats eagles preseason game had so many damn commercials the game lasted like 4 hours. NFL network had to cut the game from cable because it was so long and taking time away from the cowboys game.

RealityKings
08-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Please take a note Humpty.
Dumbass.

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 01:08 PM

I posted 4 pics. Are bwin, Gillette, and Fly Emirates (as well as Vodafone, which I've seen on jerseys) also charities?

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I cringe every time the OP makes a thread outside of his knowledge or comfort zone, which is San Fran sports and nothing else.
I'm glad you're familiar with my work. It feels good to have a fan club.

Future24
08-10-2013, 01:22 PM
uhh how bout noo.....

NBC Sports isn't doing that for the EPL. Fox Soccer fuking sucks.

BEASTMODE420
08-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Soccer ads are a constant during the game, you'll find them on the jerseys sure... But the real big money ads are found along the sidelines on the ad boards. It's one of the most effective subliminal messages in the world. The most expensive ad space can be found near the midfield point since it will get the most visibility from the broadcast camera.

Sincerely,
A Marketing Manager and Soccer Coach

CommonPheasant
08-10-2013, 01:56 PM
All big spectator sports are big businesses. If they weren't profitable, you wouldn't be able to watch them on your TV. Deal with it.

Temuz
08-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Rather have a few ads than commercial breaks that lengthen the game...

BEASTMODE420
08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Rather have a few ads than commercial breaks that lengthen the game...

This^

Imagine how awesome it would be if NFL games just scored tds turned around and kicked off with in the same minute?

A guy can dream right?

Hallu
08-10-2013, 03:55 PM
ITT OP would rather sit through commercials than deal with jersey ads. Funny thing is sports like the NBA are currently looking into jersey ads but I doubt those greedy badgers will reduce commercials like in Europe.

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Funny thing is you all seem to be in denial. Instead of just admitting "Well, yeah, our criticisms of American sports leagues are probably equally true for European leagues as well" you try to rationalize it.

"My team's uniform is a fuking billboard but it's cool because we have fewer commercials!"

Although let's be Reali for a minute, 3 minutes of beer commercials > 3 minutes of soccer

RambJoe
08-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Except the sponsorships on shirts actually go to the team, which can be used to pay players.

edit: "Fewer commercials" has got to be the biggest understatement ever.

bking10
08-10-2013, 04:49 PM
This^

Imagine how awesome it would be if NFL games just scored tds turned around and kicked off with in the same minute?

A guy can dream right?

Instead we got the opposite. Brb every scoring play reviewed for the good of the game. brb clear catch, brb lets review, brb commercial, brb TD good, kick PA, brb commercial, kickoff, brb commercial. So annoying

HumptyBrah
08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
"Fewer commercials" has got to be the biggest understatement ever.
My point = proven

JmanTheJuiceman
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Funny thing is you all seem to be in denial. Instead of just admitting "Well, yeah, our criticisms of American sports leagues are probably equally true for European leagues as well" you try to rationalize it.

"My team's uniform is a fuking billboard but it's cool because we have fewer commercials!"

Although let's be Reali for a minute, 3 minutes of beer commercials > 3 minutes of soccer

This whole thread was a colossal waste of time, congratulations.

http://i.imgur.com/DNO3a.gif

RambJoe
08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
My point = proven

wot

CroForce
08-10-2013, 05:37 PM
when I watch soccer they usually have an ad bar placed on the bottom screen when the match is being played.It's because you watch it on ESPN

Future24
08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
OP is a strong phaggot

ThatKindaGuy
08-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I posted 4 pics. Are bwin, Gillette, and Fly Emirates (as well as Vodafone, which I've seen on jerseys) also charities?

You apparently do not understand the benefits of this practice. Clubs who need money get it from sponsors, clubs who have excessive funds can be sponsorless or carry a charity, like Barca did with UNICEF or Villa did with a Childrens Hospice.

In the end this allows them all to be somewhat competitive when it comes to offering contracts to players, so we don't need some retarded system like cap-space, which gets circumvented anyway (see Miami).

HumptyBrah
08-11-2013, 01:16 AM
You apparently do not understand the benefits of this practice. Clubs who need money get it from sponsors, clubs who have excessive funds can be sponsorless or carry a charity, like Barca did with UNICEF or Villa did with a Childrens Hospice.

In the end this allows them all to be somewhat competitive when it comes to offering contracts to players, so we don't need some retarded system like cap-space, which gets circumvented anyway (see Miami).
So commercials are lame but jersey ads are a "beneficial practice"

Aussiebrah66
08-11-2013, 02:26 AM
So commercials are lame but jersey ads are a "beneficial practice"

now youre getting it

teons
08-11-2013, 03:33 AM
brb comparing a little ad on the shirt to commercials making the game twice its real length

op is indeed a phaggot

PatrickWayne96
08-11-2013, 04:13 AM

Qatar airways?.....

HumptyBrah
08-11-2013, 04:30 AM
brb comparing a little ad on the shirt to commercials making the game twice its real length

op is indeed a phaggot
brb comparing a few short little promos periodically throughout the game to giant advertisements all over the uniforms

see I can do that too phaggot

TrexPenor
08-11-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm american and I will take adds on jerseys over commercial breaks!!!

OKRAIDERSLA
09-13-2015, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=lol at poverty euro sports[/QUOTE]
How ignorant are you? Clubs in the English Premier League spent over a Billion $ in the 2015 calendar year alone in the winter and summer transfer windows with transfers including a 36,500,000 rising to 58,000,000 with a 90k weekly wage transfer for a 19 year old and a 44,500,000 rising to 49,000,000 with a 200k weekly wage transfer for a 20 year old. Yeah Euro Sports are really slumming it.

srom12
09-13-2015, 11:17 AM
How ignorant are you? Clubs in the English Premier League spent over a Billion $ in the 2015 calendar year alone in the winter and summer transfer windows with transfers including a 36,500,000 rising to 58,000,000 with a 90k weekly wage transfer for a 19 year old and a 44,500,000 rising to 49,000,000 with a 200k weekly wage transfer for a 20 year old. Yeah Euro Sports are really slumming it.

Calm down.

tng83
09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
When the fuk am I supposed to get a beer and take a piss if there's no commercials?

stevedarsh
09-13-2015, 11:45 AM
TV Timeouts have ruined american sports. Brb 48 minute basketball game runs on TV for 3 hours. Sometimes exceeds 3 hours. Same for football games. Brb have to take a break before kickoff, after kickoff, before extra point, after extra point, before punt, after punt. 60 minute game takes 3 hours. Sickening. Soccer has maintained its integrity, except for their suspect refs calling in favor of a certain club. Just about every sport has been compromised somehow. 1955-1995 was the golden age for sports. what we have now is sad, been taken over by the almighty dollar

Soccer is in the midst of the biggest corruption scandal in the history of professional sports, dingus.

I'm actually shocked so many people are in here defending commercial logos on jerseys. No, just no. There's no defending f*cking commercial logos on f*cking jerseys. Stop defending it. You all sound like f*cking retards, especially acting like we don't understand it's a revenue stream. Just because there's money in something doesn't mean you have to like it. Go drink bleach.

tng83
09-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Soccer is in the midst of the biggest corruption scandal in the history of professional sports, dingus.

I'm actually shocked so many people are in here defending commercial logos on jerseys. No, just no. There's no defending f*cking commercial logos on f*cking jerseys. Stop defending it. You all sound like f*cking retards, especially acting like we don't understand it's a revenue stream. Just because there's money in something doesn't mean you have to like it. Go drink bleach.

This. Commercial revenue is what pays for the best athletes in the world. ID be bummed as fuk if my whole Saturday revolved around a game that was over in 60 minutes. 3 hours is perfect. Back to back games is 6 hours so plenty of time to hang out, bbq, drink beer, etc. Its actually an event, not a tv show.

stevedarsh
09-13-2015, 11:49 AM

yea, us stupid Americans totally don't understand that advertisements = money. your bombastic ignorance and undeserved sense of superiority is astounding.

broboma2012
09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
strong bump. but yeah, would rather have jerseys look like that than deal with commercials