PDA

View Full Version : Guys who bet on NFL

notbadnotbrad
08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
My buddy thinks we can legitimately win a pool if we each spend 100 dollars a week and box 4 games, but we box different games that we think could go either way

I know nothing about betting on football or football but how realistic is this ?

He says its not like other sports like hockey where anyone can beat anyone on any given night, football has more definitive favorites if you follow it

He says its the best lottery you can play

Pls don't make fun I know nothing about it

Jaccogo
08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
well it turned sweezy gay, so stay safe

sdballer5588
08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Haha phaggot.

niknguyen
i bet all sports, and lets just say, vegas wasn't built on the premise that they can be beaten.

EastCoastNiner
My buddy thinks we can legitimately win a pool if we each spend 100 dollars a week and box 4 games, but we box different games that we think could go either way

I know nothing about betting on football or football but how realistic is this ?

He says its not like other sports like hockey where anyone can beat anyone on any given night, football has more definitive favorites if you follow it

He says its the best lottery you can play

Pls don't make fun I know nothing about it

Your friend is an absolute potato then. Everyone thinks the NFL is the easiest sport to bet on when it's actually the hardest out of all four major U.S. sports for the most part.

sups31
08-09-2013, 12:16 PM
your friend is a complete idiot for saying not anyone can beat anyone in the nfl.

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Your friend is an absolute potato then. Everyone thinks the NFL is the easiest sport to bet on when it's actually the hardest out of all four major U.S. sports for the most part.

and this.

hardestout89
08-09-2013, 12:17 PM
assuming this is on sports select 'pools'

the guys winning week in and week out are boxing 8+ (srs)

BEASTMODE420
08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Idk about everyone else but I find more success betting on NFL over any other sport. You'd be surprised NHL is my #2

Blitzinc34
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Watch the games OP

TinyHandsBrah
08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Idk about everyone else but I find more success betting on NFL over any other sport. You'd be surprised NHL is my #2

Boxing is way easier to guess. The only times you have to worry is when they fix the fights like pacquiao - bradley. Besides that though it's easy money, imo.

notbadnotbrad
08-09-2013, 12:38 PM

assuming this is on sports select 'pools'

the guys winning week in and week out are boxing 8+ (srs)

How much is it to box 8 games ?

Why is this ? You would think hockey or basketball would be harder to bet on because the outcomes are more dependent on a team effort, not one player controls the game. Foot ball is more dependant on the QB and the teams coaching and set plays. While hockey for example requires strategy a lot of the times the games are based more on split second decisions; wouldn't football be easier to bet on if you really knew the teams well and their set strategy. I've never played foot ball and don't follow it so I'm just curious if this is the case ?

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Why is this ? You would think hockey or basketball would be harder to bet on because the outcomes are more dependent on a team effort, not one player controls the game. Foot ball is more dependant on the QB and the teams coaching and set plays. While hockey for example requires strategy a lot of the times the games are based more on split second decisions wouldn't football be easier to bet on if you really knew the teams well and their set strategy. I've never played foot ball and don't follow it so I'm just curious if this is the case ?

uwotm8!?

basketball is dependent on a team effort? but who were superstars?

football isnt a team sport? but who were poverty special teams? see 2010 chargers. but who was defense? see 2012 saints.

hardestout89
08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
How much is it to box 8 games ?

4 80
5 160
6 320
7 640
8 1280

btw for everyone else ITT, pools you play against other bettors, not against vegas

notbadnotbrad
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
4 80
5 160
6 320
7 640
8 1280

btw for everyone else ITT, pools you play against other bettors, not against vegas

My buddy says he usually get's 80 percent of his games right, wouldn't we be bound to win one pool if we boxed 4/5 games every week.... seems too good to be true lol

notbadnotbrad
08-09-2013, 12:49 PM
uwotm8!?

basketball is dependent on a team effort? but who were superstars?

football isnt a team sport? but who were poverty special teams? see 2010 chargers. but who was defense? see 2012 saints.

I guess what I'm trying to say hockey and basketball depend on a lot of split second decisions and chance, whereas football depends more on pre determined strategy making it easier to predict the games. I'm probably wrong jw.

MaiArrendersi
08-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Took me like 20 posts to realize what you guys were talking about. Do you even parlay?

Edit: saw I was post 17... I exaggerated, sue me.

hardestout89
08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
My buddy says he usually get's 80 percent of his games right, wouldn't we be bound to win one pool if we boxed 4/5 games every week.... seems too good to be true lol

yea you would win 1 or 2 (out of 16 weeks)

16 weeks x 4 box (80 bucks) = 1280 (cost to play the whole season with 4 boxes)

if you do win one, it will be in a week where almost all favorites win, meaning the prize pool will be tiny because there will be many winners splitting it (can easily be under 1280)

ToPHeR35
08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Check out the Las Vegas Hilton Handicapping contest every year....

bottle_cap
08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I used to do bookkeeping for football bets

and believe me, i won majority of the time

don't be dumb or try to be creative, just take the sure bet

the only guys i lost money to were the vets who knew not to try and pull some rainman chit

BEASTMODE420
08-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Took me like 20 posts to realize what you guys were talking about. Do you even parlay?

Edit: saw I was post 17... I exaggerated, sue me.

This^ parlay ftw

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Why is this ? You would think hockey or basketball would be harder to bet on because the outcomes are more dependent on a team effort, not one player controls the game. Foot ball is more dependant on the QB and the teams coaching and set plays. While hockey for example requires strategy a lot of the times the games are based more on split second decisions; wouldn't football be easier to bet on if you really knew the teams well and their set strategy. I've never played foot ball and don't follow it so I'm just curious if this is the case ?

I don't bet on the NBA or MLB, but from February 2011 through January 2012 I made $50k on the NFL and NHL.

Here's what I have noticed:

1. If you bet on the NFL, you need to play the spread, as the ML (straight up picking a winner) does not have great payouts. However, "any given Sunday" really does apply to the NFL. There's a lot of variables such as weather, major injuries, etc. If you're down ten points in the fourth quarter of an NBA game, you could tie it up in minutes. You hit a three pointer, get a turnover, and get quick bucket and you're down 4-5 points. In the NHL, it's tough to control the clock as well. You can change to play a trapping style of defense, but you can't really control the clock and possession of the puck.

In the NFL, even if you are the worse team, if you get a few big plays and get an early lead, you can really control the clock and pace of the game by running they ball. There's a much more helpless feeling being down in the NFL than there is in other sports. It's much easier to control the clock in the NFL, and that bodes well for underdogs.

2. Don't do any parlay with more than three teams, and I'd recommend to not really do them at all. People will say that they have good success with parlays, but 90% of people that say that are full of ****.

WRXbrah
08-09-2013, 01:13 PM

If your buddy thinks he can guess 80% right, round robin parlays are for you. I did that a lot in tennis and it was profitable and I was nowhere near 80%.

WRXbrah
08-09-2013, 01:19 PM
2. Don't do any parlay with more than three teams, and I'd recommend to not really do them at all. People will say that they have good success with parlays, but 90% of people that say that are full of ****.

Never understood all the parlay hate. Parlays are great when done right. Problem with doing them is its pretty easy to throw yourself on tilt off a few close losses. Its absolutely devastating when you have a 20 open teamer and the last play chokes. After that self control goes out the window. But your're absolutely right, doing 3-5 team parlays is pretty profitable. Anything more than that and the odds are heavily stacked against you.

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Your friend claims he gets 80% of the games correct? Sorry, but if he's playing a spread and is claiming that, he's full of ****.

The only way I'd believe he gets 80% of the games correct is if he's taking HEAVY favorites and only heavy favorites every week, which would be dumb because the payout is garbage.

Professional sport cappers are not hitting near 80%. Most would be THRILLED with 60% if they are playing the spread.

hardestout89
08-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Your friend claims he gets 80% of the games correct? Sorry, but if he's playing a spread and is claiming that, he's full of ****.

The only way I'd believe he gets 80% of the games correct is if he's taking HEAVY favorites and only heavy favorites every week, which would be dumb because the payout is garbage.

Professional sport cappers are not hitting near 80%. Most would be THRILLED with 60% if they are playing the spread.

he has to be talking about ML

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 01:32 PM
he has to be talking about ML

That's what I'm figuring, but if that's the case, then he's an idiot because the payouts will be ****ty, and one or two losses will put you back a lot.

Baylorballs
08-09-2013, 01:43 PM
yeah spot on with the 60 % W/ L would be amazing for a full season. You can go on a hot streak and wil 16 out of 20 games w/ the spread for 80%. possible

and next we you're probably going 6 for 20 and you're broke.

Plus the juice will ruin you in the long run

sups31
08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Place 100 bets at $100 per unit.

Win 60%.

Profit.