PDA

View Full Version : Does Steven Jackson end up in the HOF?

scotyg
08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Hes currently at #26 in the all-time rushing list with with 10,135 and he's 30 years old. Its unlikely hes going to put up any monster seasons (1500+), but lets say he plays 4 more years. Two as the primary back and the last two years sharing carries. Its not unreasonable to think he could end up in the top 10- he needs 2145 yards to take over the #10 spot from Marshall Faulk. 2605 yards would put him at #8.

Say he puts up two okay seasons in Atlanta- 1000 to 1,100 yards each- and then 800 yards in his last two years combined and ends up with ~13,000 yards. Does he make it?

If Atlanta wins a superbowl with him being the primary back, I think he does.

Vitamin0
08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Nope.

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
he wasted his prime years being the workhorse on a poverty rams team. that took a huge toll on his body im sure. great teammate, never bitch or complained. i hope he is what pushes falcons to win a ring. if falcons win a ring, i definitely see him in the HOF.

brb_ballin
08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
true professional.

wanted him in GB badly.

however I think he would be a borderline HOF.... wouldn't be shocked either way.

AndrettiFamily
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Not yet. Maybe if he does work with ATL, wins a ring and winds up top 20 All time at some point

ObedEdom
08-09-2013, 10:31 AM
What the falcons do this year will go a long way in determining both Jackson and Gonzalez legacy in the NFL

...Capt Obvious checking in

CBN180
08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
A guy like Steven Jackson is what makes the NFL so great to me. He hardly ever had a shot of winning in St. Louis but you never saw him slacking or not going 100%. Put up good numbers even when teams could stack the box on him every game. You put this guy on a different team and he's real close to a top 10 back if not better in NFL History. Great to see him in ATL now and I think whether they win a ring or not he should be in the H.O.F.

MURedHawk235
08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
What the falcons do this year will go a long way in determining both Jackson and Gonzalez legacy in the NFL

I would really like to see gonzo get a ring

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 10:36 AM

pretty sure gonzo's legacy is solidified as one of the best TE ever in NFL history. him winning a ring doesnt determine anything, it only strengthens the argument of him as GOAT

ObedEdom
08-09-2013, 10:41 AM
pretty sure gonzo's legacy is solidified as one of the best TE ever in NFL history. him winning a ring doesnt determine anything, it only strengthens the argument of him as GOAT

true...although small market teams franchise superstars are highly undermined by national critics, I think your right, it's hard to argue with TG's stats and durability

and

I would really like to see gonzo get a ring

AndrettiFamily
08-09-2013, 11:14 AM

He needs the ring to be unanimous GOAT TE

TheRejuvenated
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
There aren't many outside the top 20 all time rushers that have made the HOF.

If Jackson gets 1100 more yards by the end of his career he'll be around OJ Simpson's # at 18, so at that point yeah he'll be HOFer. Jackson's 300 behind Tiki Barber, 500 behind Jamal Lewis, and 800 behind Warrick Dunn, so are they HOFers?

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
He is decent but he has to play the Bucs 2x this year. I say they mess up his stats for this year. No 1000yd season for him - maybe just under that for rushing only. Combo passing and rushing he will go over 1000.

squirrell751
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM
No

Spent the majority crucial parts of his career banged up on a bad team

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
He is decent but he has to play the Bucs 2x this year. I say they mess up his stats for this year. No 1000yd season for him - maybe just under that for rushing only. Combo passing and rushing he will go over 1000.

lmfao...he ran against the 9ers, hawks, and cards defense 2x a year his entire career. that bucs run d ranked so high because that pass d was so poverty everyone just threw the ball against the bucs. if he gets under 1k yards it wont be because of the bucs

wickedman
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I think so, not going to hold being on a poverty team his whole career against him. a running back alone can't elevate a team to a Super Bowl.

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
He's been a very good player his entire career, but he doesn't scream HOF to me.

If you really have to think about whether or not someone should be inducted into the HOF, they likely shouldn't be. Also, just because another player may have gotten in when they shouldn't have doesn't mean someone else on that players level should as well.

Impurityz
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
lmfao...he ran against the 9ers, hawks, and cards defense 2x a year his entire career. that bucs run d ranked so high because that pass d was so poverty everyone just threw the ball against the bucs. if he gets under 1k yards it wont be because of the bucs

this.

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:32 PM

if everyone just passed then the rushing attempts against the bucs would've been way lower than it was - lame excuse. everyone tried to run - **** wasn't working - tried passing and it was so they continued with that. still stick by my statement. all the other rush d's in that division are poverty so maybe it balances out. like someone else does he doesn't scream HOF to me

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
if everyone just passed then the rushing attempts against the bucs would've been way lower than it was - lame excuse. everyone tried to run - **** wasn't working - tried passing and it was so they continued with that. still stick by my statement. all the other rush d's in that division are poverty so maybe it balances out. like someone else does he doesn't scream HOF to me

but what was rushing to kill the clock?

edit: opponents had on avg 23.6 rush attempts/g vs. the bucs. good for 3rd least in the league, seems pretty low to me

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
but what was rushing to kill the clock?

edit: opponents had on avg 23.6 rush attempts/g vs. the bucs. good for 3rd least in the league, seems pretty low to me

and thats abnormally low? how does that equate to all they did was throw the ball? plz explain

brb 85 pass attempts a game vs the bucs lol

Love Pirate
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Not yet. Maybe if he does work with ATL, wins a ring and winds up top 20 All time at some point

This

And this

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
and thats abnormally low? how does that equate to all they did was throw the ball? plz explain

brb 85 pass attempts a game vs the bucs lol

opponents had 39.2 pass attempts/g vs bucs good for most in the league...

most pass attempts vs.
3rd least rush attempts vs.

hmm....

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
opponents had 39.2 pass attempts/g vs bucs good for most in the league...

most pass attempts vs.
3rd least rush attempts vs.

hmm....

And the most rush attempts was for Jac at 34.... not an overwhelming difference

Clevelander12
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Im going to say eventually he gets in.

He has atleast two more 1000 seasons in Atlanta with that offense. That alone will put him at 13th all time.

Also is the 6th player to rush for 1,000 yards in eight straight seasons, joining Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin, Emmitt Smith, and LaDainian Tomlinson. That is good company.

niknguyen
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
And the most rush attempts was for Jac at 34.... not an overwhelming difference

so a 12 play difference is not an overwhelming difference? there's an avg of 60 plays ran per team in a game. so thats 20% of plays ran

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Didnt mean to derail thread. Convo is meant to be had elsewhere.

BeefStrokinoff
08-09-2013, 12:54 PM
so a 12 play difference is not an overwhelming difference? there's an avg of 60 plays ran per team in a game. so thats 20% of plays ran

Point taken. Our pass d was sh!t to say the least but taking shots at the run D is unnecessary imo. People act like there were zero attempts to rush against them hence the ranking. If you watched their games you'd see what im talking about. Last comment on this.

GiantMonkey
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I never felt like he was a HOF player, much of the same as I fell about Curtis Martin, both are average runners who never really got hurt. Jackson has played in 14, 15,16,12,12,15,16,15,16 games over his career, outside of his rookie year starting almost all of them. However Martin played long enough it get the numbers to get into the HOF.

That being said if Jackson can play another 3 years at the way he is playing now he could make it based on numbers alone.

beepbeep
08-09-2013, 02:41 PM
No. How is he any different than a whole host of guys like Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor and Corey Dillon? There are a lot of RBs who were very good for a long time. That doesn't earn you a spot in the Hall of Fame.

On current form, I'd say the only active RB who will get into the Hall of Fame is Adrian Peterson.

jakeeck
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM

lol @ anyone saying Tony G needs a ring and isn't already the GOAT.. I could see blaming a QB for not having a superbowl ring, but a TE? da fuk?

ko5567
08-09-2013, 02:51 PM

gonzalez is going down as one of the goat te's...he's definitely going to the hof

kethnaab
08-09-2013, 02:59 PM

hey Captain Obvious, Gonzo's legacy is set in stone. GOAT. Unquestioned, undisputed, undeniable.

no, he doesn't. He will be a unanimous 1st ballot HoF and that would happen if he retired this afternoon.

scotyg
08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
not sure how we got to talking about Gonzo, but he undoubtedly the GOAT TE and a 1st ballot HoFer. Top 10 in yards, receptions, and receiving TDs. For gods sake hes 2nd all-time in receptions, only behind Jerry Rice.

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Tony Gonzalez will be the GOAT TE for about six more years.

IF (and that's a big IF) Rob Gronkowski can stay healthy, goodnight sweet GOAT status for Tony G.

kethnaab
08-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Tony Gonzalez will be the GOAT TE for about six more years.

IF (and that's a big IF) Rob Gronkowski can stay healthy, goodnight sweet GOAT status for Tony G.

When Gronk can string together 2 consecutive healthy seasons, I will agree. You were correct on the "that's a big IF" comment

CheekClapperlol
08-09-2013, 04:33 PM
dat gronk what a smexy beast

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 04:37 PM
The more I look at it, the easier it is for me to say he shouldn't make it unless he puts up BIG numbers for the rest of his career. Injuries are what's holding him back. Yes, he's played on some poor teams, but he has one 1,500 yard season and then a bunch of good seasons that were riddled with injuries.

I think you need to have at least a few excellent seasons to make it, and his seasons are riddled with injuries and compiling numbers over his career. If he was healthy for most of his career, I would vote for him, but that's not reality.

Forumite
08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

not sure if srs or has downs

rocketfish
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
He's a true nfl player. I would like for him to get in, but i think it will be hard considering he hasn't had an amazing winning season to get any hype. sad to say but if falcons do something and hes a big part of it before he retires that can change the balance of him getting in or not.

tony g is the GOAT TE. people that question it just haven't seen him play his entire career. Dudes been putting up 800 to 1000+ yards since 1999. Just remember, patriots like to get rid of players when it comes to big contracts as a player ages. after gronks contract is nearing end, they will trade for picks/or release and rebuild like always

EastCoastNiner
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
He's a true nfl player. I would like for him to get in, but i think it will be hard considering he hasn't had an amazing winning season to get any hype. sad to say but if falcons do something and hes a big part of it before he retires that can change the balance of him getting in or not.

tony g is the GOAT TE. people that question it just haven't seen him play his entire career. Dudes been putting up 800 to 1000+ yards since 1999. Just remember, patriots like to get rid of players when it comes to big contracts as a player ages. after gronks contract is nearing end, they will trade for picks/or release and rebuild like always

No one is really denying Tony Gonzalez is the GOAT TE right now. However, he could be passed in the near future.

The entire thinking that the Patriots get rid of players as they age isn't really true. They get rid of players that won't likely perform at the level they had been in recent seasons.

At the time of these signings, each of these players were either the highest paid player at their position or right in the top three:

Brady
Wilfork
Mankins

They keep their studs and let the ones that are breaking down leave.

Staying on topic, I really don't see him getting in unless he puts up 3-4 more 1,000 yard seasons or a few 1,200+ yard seasons and some decent playoff games. If he gets in with the resume he has now, it's likely because voters will give him a lot of slack for being on the Rams much of his career.