PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas singlehandedly kicks NCAA in the balls

wildchild11
08-08-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/8/4603082/ncaa-college-player-jerseys-store

Days after receiving scorching criticism for profiting off player jersey sales thanks to Jay Bilas' vigilance, NCAA president Mark Emmert announced that the NCAA will no longer be in the business of selling jerseys. Players, of course, cannot profit off their own names, as has been reinforced by this week's Johnny Manziel scandal.

"There's no compelling reason the NCAA should essentially be re-selling paraphernalia from institutions," Emmert said. "I can't speak to why we entered into that enterprise, but it's not appropriate for us, and we're going to exit it."
The online store, which carries the NCAA name and logo all over it, is apparently an aggregator that is actually copyrighted by another entity, so the amount of money that it made on sales from the site is quite low, in all likelihood. However, where that money went isn't particularly important so long as it doesn't end up in those players' pockets (as the NCAA would have it).

WanaBswole
08-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Thats stupid. Why can't they sell the jerseys? I think the players should be allowed to sell their autograph and whatever but that ncaa shop website was a one stop shop for NCAA jerseys and such. This Jay Bilas guy is another @ss clown that has ruined it for everyone else....really who cares if they are selling jerseys on the ncaa website?

The_Albatross
08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Thats stupid. Why can't they sell the jerseys? I think the players should be allowed to sell their autograph and whatever but that ncaa shop website was a one stop shop for NCAA jerseys and such. This Jay Bilas guy is another @ss clown that has ruined it for everyone else....really who cares if they are selling jerseys on the ncaa website?

I really hope you aren't actually 31 years old.

PervedOut
08-08-2013, 03:52 PM
If this leads to Manziel being let off the hook with no punishment I am gonna ****in rage. All the people that have been left in the wake of the NCAA's fury for this exact same thing and now BAM, Jay Bilas gets them to realize they made a mistake? I propose everyone that was punished for this same thing gets back what was taken from them

BRB AJ Green eligible for a few more games
BRB Terrelle Pryor gets another season of elgibility at OSU
BRB Bo Jackson gets another year of baseball at AU
BRB send Reggie Bush's Heisman back to him

ItsWhatIDo
08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Why is it when Manziel does it, they start changing things?

NickDaQuik
08-08-2013, 04:11 PM

lol obvious

Backus21
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Funny how that works isn't it. Face of the SEC

DrSlam
08-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I think im starting hate how the NCAA does things more than I hate how any other major sports organization is ran.

Phil9
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
While I hardly think people like Manziel should be making huge bank off of their college career, it is pretty obvious the NCAA is a total joke in how they handle these sorts of things. And then advertise how beneficial everything is to the "student-athletes."

swagzilla05
08-08-2013, 08:48 PM
You have to be a troll or just plain stupid. Jay Bilas was simply calling out the NCAA for being hypocrites. This isn't the first thing he's brought up but this time it really showed just how pathetic the NCAA is ran. They were profiting directly off of a players name while the player received nothing. Bilas simply brought this up in light of the whole autograph scandal because the problem really shouldn't lie with the players as much as it should the NCAA. Something needs to be decided because college athletics, particularly football and basket is such a big money maker. They ride these players through promo commercials, heismen campaigns, and other means of exposure to sell tickets and maintain high tv ratings. I'm not saying put the players on salary but there are other ways to rectify it.

And there are other ways to get NCAA jerseys my friend.

evansanity
08-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Funny how Jay gives me no credit for emailing him this and acts like he discovered it....Next time I'll email someone like Adam Schefter or herby...

kyleTX
08-08-2013, 08:50 PM

because we president now, don't ever forget that

Tes45
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
If this leads to Manziel being let off the hook with no punishment I am gonna ****in rage. All the people that have been left in the wake of the NCAA's fury for this exact same thing and now BAM, Jay Bilas gets them to realize they made a mistake? I propose everyone that was punished for this same thing gets back what was taken from them

BRB AJ Green eligible for a few more games
BRB Terrelle Pryor gets another season of elgibility at OSU
BRB Bo Jackson gets another year of baseball at AU
BRB send Reggie Bush's Heisman back to him

Not familiar with the Jackson case, but no, the other three don't. The NCAA had proof of the infractions in those cases. They don't have proof in Manziel's case. Simple as that.

If they can find it or he's dumb enough to admit to it (like Green), then he'll get suspended. If not, he plays.

Pretty damn simple.