PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question on Calorie Deficits and Exercise

BE4TNUT
08-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I was thinking today... Probably overthinking... and I wanted to pose a question to the people who know this stuff much better than myself. I calculated my maintenance calorie intake to be 2258 and putting myself at a 20% deficit for weight loss I consume a max of approximately 1800 calories a day. I run 3 days a week and this week I am going to start lifting weights 3 days a week between my run days.

So days that I exercise should I still strive for getting to about the 1800 calorie mark when exercise is factored in or just use the 1800 calorie mark for food I consume? For example, if I eat 1700 calories for the day and exercise at night and burn 600 calories, should I be trying to get back to the 1800'ish mark or take the extra 600 calorie deficit?

I feel this is a silly question but I want to make sure I am going about this correctly and I don't deprive my body of the fuel it needs for the exercise routines I am following.

What I have been doing is only calculating the food I eat for calorie intake and have not been accounting for exercise, so if I burn an extra 600 calories in a day I essentially took in 1100 calories for the day and taking a "bonus deficit". Once again I don't want to run my body out of energy. Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks in advance.

SacramentoZach
08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Before any of that is answered, please read the stickies.

Your cals seem way too low.

KayPS
08-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Start with the stickies. Your TDEE should include all daily activity, including exercise.

CaffeineYAY
08-06-2013, 03:29 AM

Agreed, calories do seem pretty low. Not factoring in exercise; and resulting in approx 1100 calories for a day is way too much of a deficit. Make sure you've read the stickies.

BE4TNUT
08-06-2013, 06:20 AM

I did read Emma-Leigh's sticky, but I feel I may have missed something... I will read it again.

Start with the stickies. Your TDEE should include all daily activity, including exercise.

Thanks. I re-read the sticky on calculating calories and macro's and found the sentence I seem to have missed the first time around.

Agreed, calories do seem pretty low. Not factoring in exercise; and resulting in approx 1100 calories for a day is way too much of a deficit. Make sure you've read the stickies.

Thanks for pointing out the calories are too low everyone. I realize where I have been going wrong, it seems I missed an important part of the sticky. Luckily it wasn't to the point of me losing my energy yet as I have just recently started tracking all of my calories.

I re-crunched my numbers for the increase in exercise that I am planning this week and my BMR after adjusting for activity (1.4 since I have a sedentary job but plan to work out 5 days a week now) is 2645. Factoring a 20% deficit for weight loss I am figuring calories should be at 2116 a day. Now if I exercise and burn an estimated 500 calories from working out in a day I should consume 2616 calories that day correct? It looks like this will then give me the energy needed to get through workouts and still be at my 20% deficit for weight loss.

I am also off to read more stickies...

Thanks.

Carverr
08-06-2013, 06:41 AM
I re-crunched my numbers for the increase in exercise that I am planning this week and my BMR after adjusting for activity (1.4 since I have a sedentary job but plan to work out 5 days a week now) is 2645. Factoring a 20% deficit for weight loss I am figuring calories should be at 2116 a day. Now if I exercise and burn an estimated 500 calories from working out in a day I should consume 2616 calories that day correct? It looks like this will then give me the energy needed to get through workouts and still be at my 20% deficit for weight loss.

I am also off to read more stickies...

Thanks.
From my understanding you do not want to eat back calories you "burned" at the gym

Your TDEE is basically what you're burning all day including the gym

gbullock32
08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
From my understanding you do not want to eat back calories you "burned" at the gym

Your TDEE is basically what you're burning at the gymCorrect, TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure, which includes exercise (assuming you used the appropriate activity factor when calculating your caloric needs).

jedi-dude
08-06-2013, 07:40 AM

This ^^^^^

Your calories do seem way too low for someone with your stats. Did you factor your activity level in?

Find your TDEE (including your activity level) and hit it daily - Regardless!!!! Keep things simple.

BE4TNUT
08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
This ^^^^^

Your calories do seem way too low for someone with your stats. Did you factor your activity level in?

Find your TDEE (including your activity level) and hit it daily - Regardless!!!! Keep things simple.

Ok well this is what I have come up with after reading through Emma-Leigh's thread on calculating BMR/Calories/Macro Needs:

Weight: 214lbs
Height: 6'
Body Fat %: 27.7
BMR: 1890
BMR adjusted for activity (1.4 multiplier): 2644
20% Deficit: 529
Target Calories: 2116

These are the numbers that I am working with. I have a goal of weight loss hence the 20% deficit.

So assuming my numbers are correct (if something looks way off just let me know) if I eat 2000 calories, workout and burn an estimated 600 calories then my intake for the day was essentially 1400. I am guessing this still sounding low to people...

Should I up my multiplier for activity? 3 times a week I run 2 miles and I am going to start the AllPro Beginner Weight Lifting Routine this week between run days.

Carverr
08-06-2013, 08:45 AM
So you're going to be working out 6 days a week.. you can probably up that multiplier to something a tad higher.