PDA

View Full Version : How do you people do intermittent fasting???!

sammysamgurl
07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
I seriously don't understand haha, if I miss a bunch of meals and wind up with a ton of calories left at the end of the day to fill, I am like dying trying to eat enough. How do you guys manage to get all your food down in such a short time period? I have to spread my eating out throughout the day to get it all in. Do you eat it easily or do you ever find that you are really full? Also I was kind of interested in the whole concept of it. How are your results using IF? Good? bad? Lastly how do you keep your mind off food when you fast? Just curious. Thanks :)

Murdok1741
07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
I seriously don't understand haha, if I miss a bunch of meals and wind up with a ton of calories left at the end of the day to fill, I am like dying trying to eat enough. How do you guys manage to get all your food down in such a short time period? I have to spread my eating out throughout the day to get it all in. Do you eat it easily or do you ever find that you are really full? Also I was kind of interested in the whole concept of it. How are your results using IF? Good? bad? Lastly how do you keep your mind off food when you fast? Just curious. Thanks :)

I'd use IF for leaning down. For putting on muscle mass, that approach wouldn't work too well for me if I were trying to eat quite a bit.

You might also want to expand that window of eating if you find it difficult to eat in that time frame.

Results are really not any different from eating any other way. It's more about the convenience of not having to worry about eating for awhile and get other things done. As long as you're hitting your macros and eating largely nutritious food, you should be good to go.

necon76
07-31-2013, 08:27 PM
It's good for people who like to eat big meals, or for appetite control when cutting.

If that's not you, there's really no point doing it.

sammysamgurl
07-31-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd use IF for leaning down. For putting on muscle mass, that approach wouldn't work too well for me if I were trying to eat quite a bit.

You might also want to expand that window of eating if you find it difficult to eat in that time frame.

Results are really not any different from eating any other way. It's more about the convenience of not having to worry about eating for awhile and get other things done. As long as you're hitting your macros and eating largely nutritious food, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply, I don't follow this personally I just like to learn about the different styles of eating/dieting & that makes sense. Thanks again for the info

sixpoint
07-31-2013, 08:33 PM
I do the 8/16 (leangains) IF.

Good results for cutting/recomp.

I'd rather eat 2 huge meals and feel full (and still run a caloric deficit when I need to).

I hate cutting and feeling hungry all the time.

My body and routine has adapted to the 16hr fast. I rarely feel hungry. If I do, I drink water, green tea or black coffee until my feeding window.

sammysamgurl
07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
I do the 8/16 (leangains) IF.

Good results for cutting/recomp.

I'd rather eat 2 huge meals and feel full (and still run a caloric deficit when I need to).

I hate cutting and feeling hungry all the time.

My body and routine has adapted to the 16hr fast. I rarely feel hungry. If I do, I drink water, green tea or black coffee until my feeding window.

That's a good point, I hate the feeling of being hungry, I love having big meals when my cals are low. But sometimes I end up saving to many extra calories and that's when I have trouble fitting them all in, haha. Then I just turn to peanut butter...my best friend for reaching my cals. for the day. I will give IF a shot maybe when I cut. For now I'm bulking and I have more than enough calories to deal with.

AlwaysTryin
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
It's good for people who like to eat big meals, or for appetite control when cutting.

If that's not you, there's really no point doing it.

This

It helps me not feel hungry during the day and I like eating when I'm at home relaxing and watching TV

xJellyBirdx
07-31-2013, 09:35 PM
This

It helps me not feel hungry during the day and I like eating when I'm at home relaxing and watching TV

x2. I like a warm meal, a big meal while I wind down, and I like having a clean mouth and not having to floss after meals. My window is only like an 1-1.5 hours long. If I ever need to hit a lot of calories I reach for PB and coconut oil or some poptarts, etc.

oregonpanthers
07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Check my blog to see how I am doing my first run (4 week blog) with Lean Gains IF. Its new to me as well in that I did 5-6 meals a day for years all the way till now but find that this is very feasible and practical for me given my preferences and lifestyle. The question now is does it work as well as the traditional 5-6 meals every 3-4 hours has? The blog and the next 4 weeks will tell the answers. This is the single largest change to my diet plan I have made kin about 4-5 years and thus the impetus to do a blog.

fitbossfoodandfitness.blogspot.com

technifish
07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Coffee helps me tremendously when fasting. Other than that, I guess I've done it for so long, now its just natural and it's not a concern. It sucked for the first week or so, but I personally adapted pretty quickly. Nowadays, a 24 hour fast is even pretty easy for me. Lots of coffee though.

Agreed with all the others. Its great for cutting. The healthy sized meals later in the day make the hours without food all worth it, as well as helping with the lesser total calories for me.

sammysamgurl
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Check my blog to see how I am doing my first run (4 week blog) with Lean Gains IF. Its new to me as well in that I did 5-6 meals a day for years all the way till now but find that this is very feasible and practical for me given my preferences and lifestyle. The question now is does it work as well as the traditional 5-6 meals every 3-4 hours has? The blog and the next 4 weeks will tell the answers. This is the single largest change to my diet plan I have made kin about 4-5 years and thus the impetus to do a blog.

fitbossfoodandfitness.blogspot.com

Sounds good, I'll check it out.

2010gt1
07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
I tried IF once, just for 2 days and It was just terrible. I've never felt more brain dead in my entire life. Just awful, I couldn't think straight or even focus.

For the people that do it, they pick how big of an eating window they have.

Most people do either a 16 hour fast and 8 hour eat, or a 18 hour fast and 6 hour eat, hell Ive heard people doing a 20 fast and 4 hour eating window :O

.....I did the 16/10 and I was absolutely starving by hour 13.

def. takes a lot of will power to do IF

IronSh33k
07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
I usually eat all my cals in 90 minutes lol. I can seriously bulk with the same window.

ErikTheElectric
07-31-2013, 10:02 PM
1. Calorie dense foods, really help getting in calories.. alot easier.
2. Usually, doing IF for an extended period of time will lead you to developing a need for bigger amounts of food.
3. There's really no benefit to IF over a typical "Diet", other than the fact that it's mor convienent for people with 9-5 jobs, or people that can't eat frequently.