PDA

View Full Version : First Test Tube Burger

xJellyBirdx
07-30-2013, 09:57 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unknown-diner-taste-worlds-first-193000215.html

Can't grow a healthy pair a lungs in this country, but a hamburger is just fine.

'merica.

Can't wait to see the future threads in regards to this :D

Gxp23
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I honestly feel bad for the future generations that need to go through this chit.

All about $$

dimmupelto
07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Comparing the intricacies of a working human organ to a piece of food... Didn't read the link but trying to compare the two is absurd.

gbullock32
07-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Comparing the intricacies of a working human organ to a piece of food... Didn't read the link but trying to compare the two is absurd.Agreed, to make a fully functioning and usable lung would be far more difficult.

NG91
07-31-2013, 03:18 AM
Disgusting. I'd rather go veggie and risk it with GM crops than eat that ****.

gbullock32
07-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Disgusting. I'd rather go veggie and risk it with GM crops than eat that ****.I bet people starving to death would not agree with your stance, the idea of lab grown food is interesting and may be the key to the future of mankind. It would eliminate the need to have vast farm lands and herds of animals that are susceptible to disease and weather, it would also enable food to be produced indefinitely in any quantity needed to feed the entire population. Not to mention it would allow for space exploration to advance with less hindrance, just look at modern submarines; they are limited only by how much food they can bring for the crew, otherwise they could stay out almost indefinitely.

Sure people will be wary of food produced in such a manner, but this could be a great advancement; and remember, people were hesitant of many advances in sciences (vaccines for example) but without these advances we would not be nearly as advanced as we are today.

Duman90
07-31-2013, 04:30 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unknown-diner-taste-worlds-first-193000215.html

Can't grow a healthy pair a lungs in this country, but a hamburger is just fine.

'merica.

Can't wait to see the future threads in regards to this :D

Actually, the professor is Dutch and the tasting is happening in London. So has nothing to do with America.

Really interesting development though, could be the first steps in what will ultimately lead to a huge change in the world.

xJellyBirdx
07-31-2013, 04:47 AM
Anyone see that heart valve that they were able to make using essentially a 3D printer?

KCBiggs
07-31-2013, 05:30 AM
I bet people starving to death would not agree with your stance, the idea of lab grown food is interesting and may be the key to the future of mankind. It would eliminate the need to have vast farm lands and herds of animals that are susceptible to disease and weather, it would also enable food to be produced indefinitely in any quantity needed to feed the entire population. Not to mention it would allow for space exploration to advance with less hindrance, just look at modern submarines; they are limited only by how much food they can bring for the crew, otherwise they could stay out almost indefinitely.

Sure people will be wary of food produced in such a manner, but this could be a great advancement; and remember, people were hesitant of many advances in sciences (vaccines for example) but without these advances we would not be nearly as advanced as we are today.

Completely agree. We only have so much suitable land for livestock purposes and to be able to feed our current population we need to at least double our output, it's not going to happen with out the use of this kind of research and also GM/GE animals and crops.

chickymicky
07-31-2013, 05:32 AM
thats actually quite cool, imagine you can grow all your meals with the exact amount of macros needed!

xJellyBirdx
07-31-2013, 06:10 AM
thats actually quite cool, imagine you can grow all your meals with the exact amount of macros needed!

NASAs 'food printer' is working to do this exact thing.

chickymicky
08-01-2013, 02:48 AM
NASAs 'food printer' is working to do this exact thing.
great! Meaning soon we ll be having all these hyped up meal supplements for perfect macro hitting, i can alread y imagine
"Macro Labs" Make dem gainz with the perfect macros! :D

transformerchad
08-01-2013, 03:03 AM
The costs behind producing everything is ridiculous . Its cheaper to breed cows than to create a piece of steak in a test tube .

I can definitely see them creating organs though because then it becomes worth it

gbullock32
08-01-2013, 03:36 AM
The costs behind producing everything is ridiculous . Its cheaper to breed cows than to create a piece of steak in a test tube .

I can definitely see them creating organs though because then it becomes worth itCheaper to farm cattle, for now yes; but look at the long run. As the technology for this advances it will, as it always does, become cheaper, faster, better, and safer.

naturalguy
08-01-2013, 05:12 AM
No thanks, I'll pass

Rileigh
08-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Cheaper to farm cattle, for now yes; but look at the long run. As the technology for this advances it will, as it always does, become cheaper, faster, better, and safer.

All the equipment that they're currently using is made specifically for this experiment and made specifically for the amount that they're making (possibly even handmade in many cases).

Now, start mass producing this equipment (potentially with cheaper, more cost effective parts), pack it as tightly as possible into a gigantic building and all of a sudden your cost per/lb of hamburger start to drop dramatically. The people doing these experiments are scientists not engineers. Once the theory and method is sound, people will be able to make it much more efficient.

ironwill2008
08-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Soylent Green.

colby8100
08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm not eating test tube crap. Yall can keep your roided up chickens and cattle and plants. Ill stick to my home grown chicken, rabbits, vegetables and wild deer,Turkey, and hogs.

Howarth17
08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't say this is in terms of money. More of the fact that the world population growing and more protein/ meat will be needed to feed it. Beef has a very poor return factor, in terms of putting resources into the cow and getting far less back.

razor23
08-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Whoever the guy is who "gets" to eat the burger can claim to have eaten the most expensive burger in the world. The darn thing cost $384,000 to make!

tzalma1
08-01-2013, 07:46 AM
waiting for this....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wlq27IPn1qln2p6o1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnch9aHN451qgi26jo1_500.jpg

xJellyBirdx
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM
^YESSS!!! lol that or the fifth element.