PDA

View Full Version : Healthy foods...or not?

Cocow
07-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Okay.

Someone please tell me how do we determine if something is "junk food" anyways. Been trying to cut down the junk food intakes but I literally have no idea what is even in that category, except for the obvious ones like chips, soda, candy...etc.

However, there are some of the ambiguous ones that are driving me nuts:

Canned tuna/salmon (I know that the fish part is healthy, but it's canned...and I've heard that canned food contain a lot of bad ingredients)
Plain white bread - Is this good for diet or not?
Sweet fruits (Papaya, Melon) - Yes, it's healthy but its so sweet so there's probably a lot of sugars.
Sweetened 0 calorie water/ Diet coke- Whattt?
Rice- Another healthy yet high calorie food.

What should I be looking at in the nutrition label besides the calorie, sugar, sodium and fat area?

WonderPug
07-25-2013, 08:29 AM
You should not view individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" sans the context of dose and total daily intake.

For example, consuming 3 ounces of tuna once per week is fine, but consuming more than 6 to 12 ounces per week has known health risks.

Here's another example: extra virgin olive oil is fine if it's consumed in quantities that do not cause you to exceed your caloric goals and/or displace other nutrients. Above that level, it's detrimental.

cumminslifter
07-25-2013, 08:29 AM
you need to erase your thoughts about clean vs. dirty foods. please read the stickies and come back with any questions

ashii87
07-25-2013, 07:27 PM
TUNA - OK to eat, amazing protein

WHITE BREAD - uhh... NO

FRUIT - yes, it has sugar in it.. Sugar is sugar. I have gone RAW for a brief period of time in the past and ate only fruits and veg, and I did not lose 1 freaking ounce. I guess they say even though its sugar, its natural... but, if you are looking to lose weight or cut... I wouldn't eat too much fruit. Don't go buck wild is what I am trying to say. I think its okay to have an orange for a snack, or an apple... etc... Your diet should include all the food groups to be honest.

0 Calorie Water and Diet Coke... FORGET IT! Those are gross and you should view them as TOXIC POISEN. If you are drinking diet coke then canned tuna should be the least of your worries......

Rice - Good Carbs. There are all kinds of rice... Black Rice, Brown Rice, White Rice...

I feel like you need to research each one of these categories online and really read about some it (especially the DIET coke...) because people could write complete books on each one of these trying to explain to you. :/

cumminslifter
07-25-2013, 07:34 PM

WHITE BREAD - uhh... NO

FRUIT - yes, it has sugar in it.. Sugar is sugar. I have gone RAW for a brief period of time in the past and ate only fruits and veg, and I did not lose 1 freaking ounce. I guess they say even though its sugar, its natural... but, if you are looking to lose weight or cut... I wouldn't eat too much fruit. Don't go buck wild is what I am trying to say. I think its okay to have an orange for a snack, or an apple... etc... Your diet should include all the food groups to be honest.

0 Calorie Water and Diet Coke... FORGET IT! Those are gross and you should view them as TOXIC POISEN. If you are drinking diet coke then canned tuna should be the least of your worries......

Rice - Good Carbs. There are all kinds of rice... Black Rice, Brown Rice, White Rice...

I feel like you need to research each one of these categories online and really read about some it (especially the DIET coke...) because people could write complete books on each one of these trying to explain to you. :/why no white bread? and please dont say simple carbs, also whats the difference between natural sugars in fruit and others?

MetilHed
07-26-2013, 11:32 AM
. . . . snip . . . /

From some of your other posts (and this one) you seem very into the whole no gmo/gluten free/anti meat . . .what is so amazing about possible mercury poisoning ?

BenD4Me
07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
To me "junk food" is high in calories and has a low nutrient content. Most junk food is very high in carbs and fats. That being said, if you can fit junk food into your macros there should be no problem eating them, as long as you are not eating solely junk food, you still need micronutients. It may just be harder to meet your macros eating junk food because you are getting the calories but they might not be from the macros you need.

hema94x
07-26-2013, 11:56 AM
there's no dirty or clean diets.
there is food that fits ur macros and food that doesn't.
depends on the calories and macros of whatever u are eating.
and yah read the stickies bro.

lucidz
07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.eatingdisorderfoundation.org/images/EatingDisorders.jpg