PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on getting enough calories

ImUrHuckleberry
07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey all, new to the boards and a first post. Apologies for the silly name...all the good ones were taken.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. I am 6'7" and about 300 lbs, somewhere between 24-28% body fat according to my bi-monthly BodPod test (going to get a DEXA to put my thumb on that margin of error.

So...my maintenance calories while training are between 4,000-5,000 per day. Deficit is around 3,000-3,500 per day.

I've tried the 5-6 meals per day and it just doesn't work with my lifestyle...I've been looking into Intermittant Fasting and now a Keto based diet to get down to my goal of 7%. I use MyFitnessPal to plan meals in advance

The issue is, it's damn hard getting enough calories into my body when I'm eating clean. While doing it the IF way I was eating 3 avocados a day and such but now looking at a Keto plan to really burn it off, Avos are a non-starter....even a container of cottage cheese has 16 carbs!!!

What's a big guy to do? Also, I've been hitting the cardio hard about 5 days per week, but I don't body build. My training is all handstands and other body weight/gymnastics conditioning. In understand that if I go Keto I'll need to suspend my cardio for the duration, but ultimately I want to get back to it because my goals require a high level of strength-endurance, explosiveness, and cardio capability.

I'm european white background, and have reason to believe I am very carb sensitive/higher insulin resistance.

Any advice would be helpful...if I'm eating 3 times a day, to get to 3,000 (which is still in a huge deficit), that's a LOT of protein and fat to fit in without any carbs...plus will need fiber and such (broccoli? spinach?)

Thanks in advance...

digistp
07-24-2013, 07:17 PM
how badly do complex carbs affect you vs simple?

ImUrHuckleberry
07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure...I've been eating veggies, mashed sweet potatoes, and coconut water, plus whatever is in the cottage cheese. It's way over 30g of carbs per day though. I'm trying to decide if Keto is the way I should be going but I run into the calorie issue even moreso. I love eating my 3 avocados a day but that's 33 carbs right there, let alone the yams...

digistp
07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
ok.... well why do you think you're hypersensitive to carbs?

ImUrHuckleberry
07-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I've never been ripped...strong yes but not cut. I get cravings for carbs and sweets and they tend to make me sluggish (after the hyper wears off).

I would like to get cut for once, but if I eat too many carbs my progress stalls. Basically right now I am trying to decide what to do for my next phase.

digistp
07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
your progress doesn't 'stall' from intaking carbs unless you push past your caloric goal

Try more complex carbs for sustained energy

nickyfondz
07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I would recommend you look up IIFYM. This is where you can eat anything that fits into your macros. It doesn't have to necessarily have to be "clean". This would work out well for you because you will be able to eat things both high in calories and low in calories. You can have pizza to fill carbs and fat and then eat grilled chicken for protein. Just as long as you do not go over any of your macros.

ImUrHuckleberry
07-24-2013, 10:31 PM
So...you don't recommend going the keto route for maximum speed of fat burning/loss?

The eat-what-you-want doesn't seem right with me...given what I know of how eating carbs pretty much HALTS your body burning fat.

Also, eating whatever seems like it would be hard to calculate the macros...take pizza...how many calories are in each uneven slice? How many grams of fat/carbs? Gauging macros accurately pretty much requires simplified whole food ingredients...which put me right back at eating ridiculous amounts of chicken, whole containers of cottage cheese, and whole avocados every meal. When I eat a chicken salad it takes me about 45 minutes to chew down the damn thing and my jaw is sore by the time I'm done...and it STILL doesn't leave me that sated, even with macnut oil poured on it and a good 8-12 ounces of chicken breast.

Being so big definitely complicates life in a lot of ways... :/

8eggs
07-24-2013, 10:44 PM
protien shakes mixed in heavy cream, was the "secret" of the golden era

along with a steady diet of steak and eggs and leafy green salads

rolandszi
07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
try chicken slices

So...you don't recommend going the keto route for maximum speed of fat burning/loss?

The eat-what-you-want doesn't seem right with me...given what I know of how eating carbs pretty much HALTS your body burning fat.

Also, eating whatever seems like it would be hard to calculate the macros...take pizza...how many calories are in each uneven slice? How many grams of fat/carbs? Gauging macros accurately pretty much requires simplified whole food ingredients...which put me right back at eating ridiculous amounts of chicken, whole containers of cottage cheese, and whole avocados every meal. When I eat a chicken salad it takes me about 45 minutes to chew down the damn thing and my jaw is sore by the time I'm done...and it STILL doesn't leave me that sated, even with macnut oil poured on it and a good 8-12 ounces of chicken breast.

Being so big definitely complicates life in a lot of ways... :/

ImUrHuckleberry
07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Actually...I friggin LOVE heavy cream. Anything dairy just satiates the hell out of me. I can also try adding more butter to my veggies.

As for chicken slices...I'm not sure what you mean.