PDA

View Full Version : Time to slow bulk!

FaridZH
07-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Good day everyone

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Thought before I go into detail, I give you a quick rundown of who I am. I have been doing lots of sports in my earlier days, but have gotten a bit lazy around my mid twenties.
I have always been a tall and rather skinny guy, but have managed to lose muscle and put on quiet a bit of weight during the last few years. :(
Even though I have been doing a bit of weightlifting when I was younger, I only got serious about it a year ago.
Went on a low carb cut with a 5-day split routine and managed to make some newbie gains and lose fat continously.
I am currently as lean as I've ever been, however I'm 189cm (around 6 feet 3.5 inches) and only weigh 180 pounds. Having had a belly and out of fear of losing my newly gained six pack, I never really went into a proper calorie surplus.
However, I've noticed that my progress has stalled and I'm now looking to do a slow bulk, but need some help getting my macros right. I'm not new to counting calories and have a rough idea of what my TDEE is.

As I've mentioned before, my current bodyweight is 180 pounds. I've got calipers at home, but have never been good at exact measurements. I estimate my BF to be aroud 10%, but I stand to be corrected. Feel free to review my current pictures at my Bodyspace, any advise on what my real BF % could be would be appreciated.

Anyway, on to the macros. I'm planning on eating roughly 3060 calories a day, following these macros:

Protein: 230g (1.27g per lb bodyweight)
Fat: 80g (0.44g per lb bodyweight)
Carbs: 355g (remaining calories)

This would mean that 23.5% of my daily calories come from fats - or in other words, I would consume around 0.44g fat per lb bodyweight. Is that enough?

The daily calorie surplus would probably be roughly 250-300 calories. Of course I will track my weight and BF and adjust calories accordingly. Is gaining a pound per week a realistic target?

Thanks in advance.

KayPS
07-23-2013, 03:20 AM
As long as you're at .82g/lb protein and .4g/lb fat, you're fine.

Your surplus should be 10-20% of your TDEE.

Indman
07-23-2013, 03:50 AM
1 lb per week is just a number that some people hit depending on how much over their maintenance they are, but if you don't see it and you want to speed things up the only thing to do is slowly up your calories. Of that 1lb per week though, not all of it is muscle, so if you're gaining that much then you can bet in a few months you'll start to lose your six pack.