PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 CFB Coaches

wildchild11
07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
. Nick Saban, Alabama. He's won four BCS championships (2003, '09, '11, '12) over his last eight seasons in the college ranks and turned Alabama, and LSU before it, into a recruiting machine. Saban's teams' dominance in the past two title games against previously undefeated foes LSU and Notre Dame is a testament to his preparation skills, and his program's infrastructure -- relying on an enormous support staff to maximize efficiency -- has become a model for the rest of the sport.

2. Urban Meyer, Ohio State. While the brash and often outspoken 48-year-old certainly has his share of critics, it's hard to argue with his résumé. Meyer has gone 116-23 (.828) at four different schools, posting undefeated seasons at both Utah (2004) and Ohio State (2012) to go with a pair of BCS titles at Florida (2006 and '08). While initially viewed as a spread-offense guru, he is now renowned for his unique ability to charm and connect with both recruits and players, something that's produced consistent success.

3. Chris Petersen, Boise State. Now entering his eighth season in charge of the Broncos, Petersen has gone 84-8 to rack up an insane .913 winning percentage. Last year's team -- the first in the post-Kellen Moore era -- was one of the biggest rebuilding projects he's had, and it still finished 11-2. Petersen has no equal when it comes to player development. Boise never sniffs the top of the recruiting rankings and yet has produced seven first- or second-round NFL draft picks under his watch.

4. Gary Patterson, TCU. Here's what I wrote about Patterson in 2007: "Does anyone get less credit for running a consistently successful program than this guy?" And that was before two BCS bids, an undefeated 2010 campaign and an impressive transition to the Big 12. While the Horned Frogs still have plenty to prove following a 7-6 debut in their new league, Patterson has long since demonstrated that he's one of the top defensive minds the sport has seen over the past decade.

5. Bill Snyder, Kansas State. I know I said this list isn't based on career achievement, but it's hard not to bring up Snyder's '90s miracle work in Manhattan -- particularly now that he has engineered a second surprising turnaround. The Wildcats, 39-45 from 2004-10 (three of those seasons under Ron Prince), went a combined 21-5 in Snyder's third and fourth years back at the helm, including capturing last year's Big 12 title. There's no magic formula or trademark strategy at Kansas State. Snyder simply wins.

6. Les Miles, LSU. While the Mad Hatter's diction and game management can be bewildering at times, his eight-year tenure in Baton Rouge has been nothing short of extraordinary. The Tigers have won at least 10 games in all but two seasons, going 47-17 in SEC play, and reached two BCS championship games, winning one (2007). Miles' program is a fixture near the top of the annual recruiting rankings and churns out a virtual assembly line of prized NFL prospects.

7. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M. I have a feeling he'll be even higher on this list in a couple of years. Sumlin is the consummate CEO coach, imparting his vision (an up-tempo offense, attacking defense) to his staff and hiring excellent coordinators to execute it. Like Meyer, his charisma and confidence rub off on players. After leading both Houston (in 2011) and A&M (last year) to their best seasons in decades, Sumlin is now recruiting at a previously unattainable level in Aggieland.

8. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. This ranking may seem a bit low for a guy who has won eight Big 12 titles and compiled an .801 winning percentage, but the Sooners have shown some cracks since reaching the 2008 BCS championship game -- especially over the past two seasons (though they still won 10 games in both 2011 and '12). Stoops came up as a defensive coach, but his program has long ranked among the nation's most powerful and innovative on offense.

9. Bobby Petrino, Western Kentucky. He's back after a year spent in exile, and while Petrino isn't likely to rank among anyone's top coaches in the charm or ethics departments, his offensive game-planning and play-calling aptitude is hard to dispute. In eight seasons as a college head coach, he has produced four top-12 teams and done so at two schools -- Louisville and Arkansas -- that were hardly fixtures in elite territory before his tenure. Best of luck, future Sun Belt and Conference USA opponents.

10. Art Briles, Baylor. Briles doesn't get nearly the national recognition he deserves, particularly considering just how astonishing Baylor's rise would have seemed just four years ago. The Bears failed to post a winning record in their first 14 seasons in the Big 12; they've gone 25-14 in the three seasons since, twice knocking off top-five teams, producing a Heisman winner and maintaining one of the nation's most explosive offenses even after RGIII's departure.

Just missed: Notre Dame's Brian Kelly, South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Louisville's Charlie Strong, Georgia's Mark Richt, Arkansas' Bret Bielema

Five coaches who could be on this list in three years: Michigan's Brady Hoke, Stanford's David Shaw, Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, Miami's Al Golden

The five worst coaches (in alphabetical order)
Tim Beckman, Illinois. I may be jumping the gun here, but Beckman -- hired at Illinois following a pair of eight-win seasons at Toledo -- has done little to inspire confidence either on the field (2-10 in 2012) or on the recruiting trail with the Illini.

Ron English, Eastern Michigan. Patience is a virtue in Ypsilanti, Mich., where the Eagles have gone 10-38 (7-25 in the MAC) in four seasons under the former Michigan and Louisville defensive coordinator.

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. The 2009 Orange Bowl proved an aberration in Ferentz's otherwise unimpressive recent tenure. Take away that one 11-2 season and the Hawkeyes are 47-41 since 2005 under their $3.6 million-per-year coach.

Lane Kiffin, USC. Any confidence inspired by a breakthrough 10-2 campaign in 2011 was shattered by last year's 7-6 implosion, when Kiffin's USC squad -- without question -- finished as the biggest underachiever in the country.

Charlie Weis, Kansas. Weis' past five seasons as a college coach consisted of 3-9, 7-6 and 6-6 records at Notre Dame, one 7-6 campaign as Florida's offensive coordinator and a 1-11 debut at Kansas.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130708/best-worst-college-football-coaches/#ixzz2YfDmHRbW

CobyWan
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Steve Sarkisian will be on those lists sooner rather than later.

He's a great offensive mind and finally starting to get the level of recruits to compete athletically with the other Pac 12 schools.

He's not flashy, attention grabbing or loud but a really solid head football coach.

Grapist
07-10-2013, 10:31 AM

He's a great offensive mind and finally starting to get the level of recruits to compete athletically with the other Pac 12 schools.

He's not flashy, attention grabbing or loud but a really solid head football coach.

I agree, especially with his awesome play calling ability

scotyg
07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Good to see Briles getting some recognition. That program is far more then just RG3.

bigcc
07-10-2013, 10:49 AM

As the huskies improve defensively under Wilcox, they should start adding on some W's (especially if Price returns to form)..... but I wouldn't mention him within 20 feet of a top ten coach quite yet.

PervedOut
07-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Article is ****ed, I read it yesterday. Putting Beckman on that list already is a joke.

Also, Ron English is about as ready to be a HC as Luke Fickell is

premo954
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
lol no Spurrier, also why does the media love Golden so much he has not done **** but gets all this praise

thegenerel
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
is O'Brien too good to be ranked or something?

ko5567
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I actually think weis will end up doing much better at kansas then he ever did at nd. It's not really saying much though.

evilsteve02
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Chris Petersen shouldn't be on that list until they enter a real conference and actually win games.

SwagMorris
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Larry Fedora not getting any love...

Lol @ Kiffin. What a bum.

lsiberian
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Chris Petersen shouldn't be on that list until they enter a real conference and actually win games.

So only 14 coaches qualify then?

evilsteve02
07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
So only 14 coaches qualify then?

anyone in the big conferences is fine with me

Benski9
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
List is lulzy as fuk.

Dangled
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
glad dabo got some recognition

joebus36
07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Bill O'Brien was not ranked because they felt it would be unfair to rank a professional with amateurs.

spillmouse
07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Sarkkkkkkkkkkkk

Heaney
07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Bill O'Brien was not ranked because they felt it would be unfair to rank a professional with amateurs.

^^^ how the fuk isnt he #2 or 3...what hes done on the field and in recruiting is nothing short of amazing given their sanctions

Benski9
07-10-2013, 04:22 PM
^^^ how the fuk isnt he #2 or 3...what hes done on the field and in recruiting is nothing short of amazing given their sanctions

Plus the dude is a real coach, not some phaggot like Urban or <100 IQ guy like Lester.

mdiggitydawg
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Plus the dude is a real coach, not some phaggot like Urban or <100 IQ guy like Lester.

Good God you're dumb. Too bad you didn't die in the dumpster your whore mom left you in

mdiggitydawg
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
is O'Brien too good to be ranked or something?

He went 8-4. Whoop-dee-freakin-do!

Heaney
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
He went 8-4. Whoop-dee-freakin-do!

lol....never go full retard

CobyWan
07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Good God you're dumb. Too bad you didn't die in the dumpster your whore mom left you in

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

mdiggitydawg
07-10-2013, 05:05 PM
lol....never go full retard

Tell that to the people who think a guy who goes 8-4 is a top 2 coach. I don't care if he was coaching 12 year old ethiopians, he hasn't done crap. No national titles, conference titles, or even a division title. Yet he's better than a guy who has won 2 NC's, gone undefeated 2 other years with 2 different schools, and has an 82% win pct? Fuk outta here

Heaney
07-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Tell that to the people who think a guy who goes 8-4 is a top 2 coach. I don't care if he was coaching 12 year old ethiopians, he hasn't done crap. No national titles, conference titles, or even a division title. Yet he's better than a guy who has won 2 NC's, gone undefeated 2 other years with 2 different schools, and has an 82% win pct? Fuk outta here

Congrats, Urban won with Zook's players and then had a heart attack when Saban entered him gently. O'Brien was thrown into the worst sanctions the NCAA has handed out since the death penalty, had 10 players transfer including his all-conference runningback and starting QB and still finished as a bowl team with a very good recruiting class. If Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde transferred last year how do you think OSU would have done?

I'll also add that their best returning WR also transferred to Oklahoma

Benski9
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Looks like I better recruit my wifey & kid to defend my Misc sports rep.

mcm08n
07-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I know I'll sound homer, but not to put Jimbo Fisher in at least the just missed, or will be on this list category in three years list seems a little silly to me, but okay.

TheThrill1
07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Saban
Meyer
Snyder
Stoops
Miles
Peterson
Patterson
Briles
Petrino
Sumlin

I'd prolly throw Gundy in there in the 6-10 spots too. He's really turned around OSU and produced one of the most productive offenses for the last few years.

But those are just my opinions, I don't follow coaches much.

Rufflez
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Larry Fedora not getting any love...

Lol @ Kiffin. What a bum.

this. Fedoraaaa

SwagMorris
07-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I know I'll sound homer, but not to put Jimbo Fisher in at least the just missed, or will be on this list category in three years list seems a little silly to me, but okay.

There are at least 20 other coaches who could put out a better product at FSU than Jimbo Fisher has.

basedtaskforce
07-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Tim DeRuyter's got a shot to make the list soon imo. The dogs got a shot to bust the BCS, toughest games are Rutgers and Boise and both are at home I think

Benski9
07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Anyone else think Snyder should be #1? The guy has basically performed a miracle 2x.

scotyg
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Anyone else think Snyder should be #1? The guy has basically performed a miracle 2x.

As a K-Stater, hes a god to me. However his lack of caring about bowl victories really hurts national perception of the program. he spends most of the time between the season and the bowl game preparing for the next season. If he had jumped ship back in the mid-90s and gone to a powerhouse school I have no doubt he would have won national titles.

I'm worried about this season since we lost so many people, but then I remember Snyder won 7 games in 2010 with literally nobody except Daniel Thomas on offense and a defense that allowed 230 rushing yards a game. Hell the guy made entire country think Collin Klein was a legitimate dual-threat QB. Now he gets to pick between a precision passing juco transfer, or a RS sophomore QB who runs a 4.4 and has a cannon.

tsbalr120
07-10-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm excited what coach B can bring to the hogs. It'll be a few years tho. I can see petrino coming back to the SEC eventually. Maybe tennesse, idk.

Benski9
07-11-2013, 07:05 AM
As a K-Stater, hes a god to me. However his lack of caring about bowl victories really hurts national perception of the program. he spends most of the time between the season and the bowl game preparing for the next season. If he had jumped ship back in the mid-90s and gone to a powerhouse school I have no doubt he would have won national titles.

I'm worried about this season since we lost so many people, but then I remember Snyder won 7 games in 2010 with literally nobody except Daniel Thomas on offense and a defense that allowed 230 rushing yards a game. Hell the guy made entire country think Collin Klein was a legitimate dual-threat QB. Now he gets to pick between a precision passing juco transfer, or a RS sophomore QB who runs a 4.4 and has a cannon.

I didn't realize his lack of bowl game prep. I think KSU will finish top 3 in the XII this year. Really like Waters at qb, he seems efficient.

AxionJaxion24
07-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Lane Kiffin is underrated. Going 25-13 and recruiting the way he has under sanctions is remarkable.

PervedOut
07-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Lane Kiffin is underrated. Going 25-13 and recruiting the way he has under sanctions is remarkable.
Strong 1rd post

Is your original account under sanctions too?

GetBig0rDieTryn
07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm baffled Jim Tressel can't get a job.

BullStampede
07-11-2013, 09:41 AM

He got a 5 year show cause iirc. Probably why.

PervedOut
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM

He got a 5 year show cause iirc. Probably why.
If he would have denied everything and bolted for the NFL, none the wiser.

Heaney
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooolll

AxionJaxion24
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooolll

USC will win 10 games this season. Switching to a 5-2 front under a new coordinator. Pretty good defensive line. Leonard Williams and Kenny Bigelow are future 1st-round draft picks. Breslin will go in the top 3-4 and will have double digits sacks. Depth issues are certainly a concern across the board. I expect Wittek to be pretty good. Soft schedule. No Oregon, and UCLA and Stanford are at home. Big challenges will be had on the road in Temple, South Bend, and Corvallis.

FckCarrots
07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Lucky to have Sumlin with us. Funny that I transferred from UH to TAMU same year he did.

JewishSuperHero
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
It would be hard to put O'Brien on that list after one season. I don't get what people are complaining about.

Gary Patterson is kind of random on that list (yeah, yeah... He had that undefeated season and all... But still...)

And I agree with whoever mentioned Mike Gundy. Dude is a good coach. Seems like the national media still hates him over his whole "I'm a man, I'm 40" outburst though.

tyqb4
07-11-2013, 12:30 PM

are you retarded?

wildchild11
07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
It would be hard to put O'Brien on that list after one season. I don't get what people are complaining about.

Gary Patterson is kind of random on that list (yeah, yeah... He had that undefeated season and all... But still...)

And I agree with whoever mentioned Mike Gundy. Dude is a good coach. Seems like the national media still hates him over his whole "I'm a man, I'm 40" outburst though.

No. he's not. Does so much with so little.

Three6Mafia
07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Saban
Meyer
Snyder
Stoops
Miles
Peterson
Patterson
Briles
Petrino
Sumlin

I'd prolly throw Gundy in there in the 6-10 spots too. He's really turned around OSU and produced one of the most productive offenses for the last few years.

But those are just my opinions, I don't follow coaches much.

The reason Gundy isn't on there is because of the bad rap he got for not letting Wes Lunt go to any good schools. God forbid he hasn't missed a bowl game and he won ok states first big 12 championshipmand beat Andrew luck in the fiesta bowl.

Nobody knew who ok state was 10 years ago in football and now they are a legit big 12 contender every year.

lsiberian
07-11-2013, 01:35 PM
The reason Gundy isn't on there is because of the bad rap he got for not letting Wes Lunt go to any good schools. God forbid he hasn't missed a bowl game and he won ok states first big 12 championshipmand beat Andrew luck in the fiesta bowl.

Nobody knew who ok state was 10 years ago in football and now they are a legit big 12 contender every year.

He's definitely underrated, but he's not better than Snyder, Briles or Patterson. Winning a Big 12 title at OSU is great, but he has a lot bigger support network than the others. K State, Baylor and TCU would be toilet dwellers without their coaches. OSU would be bowl bound.

The Big 12 is definitely stacked with coaches. I'm not sure who wins the conference next year. Baylor, OSU, TCU, K State and OU are all contenders IMO.

Heaney
07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
USC will win 10 games this season. Switching to a 5-2 front under a new coordinator. Pretty good defensive line. Leonard Williams and Kenny Bigelow are future 1st-round draft picks. Breslin will go in the top 3-4 and will have double digits sacks. Depth issues are certainly a concern across the board. I expect Wittek to be pretty good. Soft schedule. No Oregon, and UCLA and Stanford are at home. Big challenges will be had on the road in Temple, South Bend, and Corvallis.

A new D coordinator because your coach's dad had to jump on the grenade so sonny boy could keep his job. Also, a 5-2 in a pass happy run n gun conference....good night sweet passing YPG against numbers; a 5-2 would work in the B1G, not the PAC 12

AxionJaxion24
07-11-2013, 03:09 PM
A new D coordinator because your coach's dad had to jump on the grenade so sonny boy could keep his job. Also, a 5-2 in a pass happy run n gun conference....good night sweet passing YPG against numbers; a 5-2 would work in the B1G, not the PAC 12

Monte didn't jump on any grenade. He was just incompetent at defending the spread. It makes plenty of sense to go to the 5-2 in the Pac-12. Stanford's best players, LBs notwithstanding, are on the offensive line. Who are Oregon's best players? Their backs, De'Anthony Thomas in particular. USC doesn't even play them this season. Who is Rich Rod's best player in Tucson? Ka'Deem Carey. Arizona State has one of the best TB combos in the country in Marion Grice and D.J. Foster.

scotyg
07-11-2013, 04:11 PM
He's definitely underrated, but he's not better than Snyder, Briles or Patterson. Winning a Big 12 title at OSU is great, but he has a lot bigger support network than the others. K State, Baylor and TCU would be toilet dwellers without their coaches. OSU would be bowl bound.

The Big 12 is definitely stacked with coaches. I'm not sure who wins the conference next year. Baylor, OSU, TCU, K State and OU are all contenders IMO.

Pickens pumping money into that program has done wonders for them.

laser23
07-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Meyer is gonna take a massive $hit on the Big Ten this year. Hoke will be again be seen as a flop that he always has been.

Malfa
07-11-2013, 05:53 PM
you forgot mark helfrich

wildchild11
07-11-2013, 07:19 PM
you forgot mark helfrich

games coached: 0

PervedOut
07-12-2013, 05:00 AM
games coached: 0
So youre saying hes undefeated?

http://brocouncil.com/images/stories/Articles/2013/01january/chip-dont-go.jpg