PDA

View Full Version : Misjudged Activity level? Deficit advice needed!

sa7soon
07-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Activity Level

I am using the "Moderate" activity factor for the formula (1.55).
I am strength training 3 times a week, each session is over 1 hour. The third session before a 2 day break takes me almost 2 hours (last one was 1hr 52min).

Is that enough for "Moderate" Or should I throw in some cardio? So far I've been hitting my macros and deficit everyday for over 2 weeks, with 1 or 2 days where I mess up but not too significantly. I haven't seen a significant change.
(For reference please look at my Progress pictures, "Start of 12 week cut" and "2 weeks in")

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you! :)

Katch McArdle

370 + (21.6 * LBM in Kg 85) = 2,206 * Activity level 1.55 = 3,419 Cals for Maintenance
3,419 Cals - 20% for Cutting (683.86) = 2,735 Cals

Macros

Protein:
0.82g/lb = 0.82 * 275 = 225g * 4 = 902 Cals from Protein

Fat:
0.4 * 275 = 110g * 9 = 990 Cals from Fat

DCA

990 + 902 = 1892 Cals from Protein + Fat
So my DCA is 2,735 - 1,892 = 843 Calories? Which could be 210g of Carbs

OneHandClap
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Keep in mind that these calculations are estimates, there's no "1 size fits all" formula, so knock another 100 or 200 calories off after 2 weeks.

I don't know how badly you messed up, but if I go over by 500 calories one day I will compensate the next day, to hit my weekly target. Not talking about a 5000 kcal binge here.

Also keep in mind that your weight might not change for a while, then you get a sort of flush and drop a bunch of water, so don't be too hasty to drop more calories.

sa7soon
07-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Keep in mind that these calculations are estimates, there's no "1 size fits all" formula, so knock another 100 or 200 calories off after 2 weeks.

I don't know how badly you messed up, but if I go over by 500 calories one day I will compensate the next day, to hit my weekly target. Not talking about a 5000 kcal binge here.

Also keep in mind that your weight might not change for a while, then you get a sort of flush and drop a bunch of water, so don't be too hasty to drop more calories.

I dropped 200 calories from my original calculations (a different thread) because I realized I misjudged my bf%. I recalculated with the new bf% (32) and realized that I was in about a 400-500 (about 10%) deficit for these two weeks, some days I was closer to 800-900 deficit. The estimates below are for a deficit of 20% with 32% bf, a deficit of about 700 cals.

I was going to give my older calculations (Cal intake of 2,950, same Macros) one more week with 3-4 days of cardio thrown in, as I am unsure 3 days of strength training qualifies for "Moderately" active, even though they are long intense workouts.

I read somewhere on the forums that if after three weeks you don't see much change then just lower your calories a little bit. I'm being patient with it, I just want to make sure i'm on the right path!

Thank you for your advice! :)

KayPS
07-10-2013, 02:48 AM
I think you're on the right path.

Your numbers look good. You've figured out your protein and fat, as well as your DCA (for extra credit).

Just remember that your DCA can be made up of whatever spread of p/f/c you prefer. Protein and fats are minimums, so there's nothing wrong with going over, so long as you have the DCA to use up.

Nice work, OP. Reps.

EDIT: Looks like I've already repped you.

Just to add about your activity. You're in the gym more than I am, and I'm using 1.5. I think you will be good with it, just monitor your progress and adjust as needed.

sa7soon
07-10-2013, 04:20 AM
I think you're on the right path.

Your numbers look good. You've figured out your protein and fat, as well as your DCA (for extra credit).

Just remember that your DCA can be made up of whatever spread of p/f/c you prefer. Protein and fats are minimums, so there's nothing wrong with going over, so long as you have the DCA to use up.

Nice work, OP. Reps.

Nice work, OP. Reps.

Just to add about your activity. You're in the gym more than I am, and I'm using 1.5. I think you will be good with it, just monitor your progress and adjust as needed.

Thank you, i'll keep that in mind! I'll keep at it, it's just disheartening when you see no progress after 2 weeks...