PDA

View Full Version : The importance of tracking/calculating/weighting food intake for success.

Funkdubius
07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I received a few personal messages from members who want to lost fat but dont know where to start.

First thing I say :you need to know exactly what you eat. People have no idea what they eat,even lesstotal calories and macros.

Winning the war against fat is easy,its just a game of numbers and tracking/calculating is one of the best weapon we have.

- Get a food balance (I got mine at Wmart) and weight everything.

- Find out exactly what you eat and drink by tracking/calculating everything you consume daily with application or website or by hand if you prefer.

- I use my Iphone (MyNetDiary), other apps for IOS or Android are available (I heard good things about myfitnesspal).

- Websites to track and calculate food intake : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119482931

- Other benefits of tracking food : http://impruvism.com/self-monitoring-weight-loss/

Knowledge is power and tracking everything you eat will sound obsessive for some, but for me it should be your first step on your journey to a better you.

Eandretta96
07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Get a food balance This was the best decision I have ever made. Bought a 20 dollar food scale at fry's like a year ago. Battery hasn't even died since. Good thread to get people started.

mynameisuntz
07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
It can also be dangerous for those with super-perfectionistic tendencies. I'd be careful with who you suggest it to.

Moeez23
07-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi guys, a lot of my diet consists of south Asian food, particularly Indian and Pakistani cuisine. A lot of the food i eat does contain gravy, and i was wondering how i can exactly measure the calories present in gravy that is present in what i eat. I know how to measure the chicken serving, or the beef serving, but once you put gravey into the picture it becomes a lot more complicated for me for some reason. Any suggestions?

KobiDC
07-04-2013, 06:03 PM
It can also be dangerous for those with super-perfectionistic tendencies. I'd be careful with who you suggest it to.

^^^

Speaking from personal experience, weighing food and tracking calories/macros lead me to developing a minor eating disorder... :p (srs). Battled with it for about 6 months give or take.

Since then, I've stopped counting calories/macros religiously, but I'm able to guesstimate most of my foods now. Makes my life alot easier!

Funkdubius
07-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi guys, a lot of my diet consists of south Asian food, particularly Indian and Pakistani cuisine. A lot of the food i eat does contain gravy, and i was wondering how i can exactly measure the calories present in gravy that is present in what i eat. I know how to measure the chicken serving, or the beef serving, but once you put gravey into the picture it becomes a lot more complicated for me for some reason. Any suggestions?

Home made or commercial ? Dont have to go crazy about it: just figure out the total in the whole batch and divide it by the approx amount of portions.

This was the best decision I have ever made. Bought a 20 dollar food scale at fry's like a year ago. Battery hasn't even died since. Good thread to get people started.

Mine was around 20$ too. Thats all you need really no point in investing more.
Thx for sharing.

^^^

Speaking from personal experience, weighing food and tracking calories/macros lead me to developing a minor eating disorder... :p (srs). Battled with it for about 6 months give or take.

Since then, I've stopped counting calories/macros religiously, but I'm able to guesstimate most of my foods now. Makes my life alot easier!

I agree, posting this here I will get replies like: this will lead to eating disorder,etc.

I dont weight everything I eat but I think its essential so people really understand what they eat and have a better ideas about portions after.

adam247
07-05-2013, 12:16 AM

Agreed what starts off as a helping hand to understanding can end up being the same thing that creates a obsession with a 'need to control and predict'

Understanding numbers is great and can help but understanding yourself is far more important and can help you put those numbers into a more personal context

Funkdubius
07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Understanding numbers is great and can help but understanding yourself is far more important and can help you put those numbers into a more personal context

Not sure I understand that last part.

And the idea with weighting food when you start is because people really dont have a clue.

We read: palm,fist size portions...I think its better to learn using a balance.

Stating that someone will become obsessed because he weights food is like saying someone will be alcoholic if he drink one beer.

Edit: Is it you in avi ?

adam247
07-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Not sure I understand that last part.

And the idea with weighting food when you start is because people really dont have a clue.

We read: palm,fist size portions...I think its better to learn using a balance.

Stating that someone will become obsessed because he weights food is like saying someone will be alcoholic if he drink one beer.

Edit: Is it you in avi ?

That is me in the Avi .......

I think the industry as a whole has become obsessed , this is less of a prediction and more of a observation , as I said it's great for getting a idea and a general understanding of food but as soon as it becomes someones crutch mentally and physically it then converts into a oxymoron

Lets use this forum as a example - I will get hammered for saying this , yet my results and history reflect my philosophy in work , understanding science and studies is great but when it is not filtered through yours senses , feelings and experience there is nothing that separates a poster on here from Google ( maybe with some added authority and judgement )

Funkdubius
07-05-2013, 01:11 AM
That is me in the Avi .......

I think the industry as a whole has become obsessed , this is less of a prediction and more of a observation , as I said it's great for getting a idea and a general understanding of food but as soon as it becomes someones crutch mentally and physically it then converts into a oxymoron

Lets use this forum as a example - I will get hammered for saying this , yet my results and history reflect my philosophy in work , understanding science and studies is great but when it is not filtered through yours senses , feelings and experience there is nothing that separates a poster on here from Google ( maybe with some added authority and judgement )

Looking great in avi (no homo)!

I still dont understand you when you talk about filtering information through your sense.We have a major problem of obesity because people eat following feelings.

I think its exageration and overprotection to say dont weight food because it will lead to ED. Can we mention the risk? OK.

When you drive your car you take a risk too.

adam247
07-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Looking great in avi (no homo)!

I still dont understand you when you talk about filtering information through your sense.We have a major problem of obesity because people eat following feelings.

I think its exageration and overprotection to say dont weight food because it will lead to ED. Can we mention the risk? OK.

When you drive your car you take a risk too.

Thank you :)

I would say it's the opposite , we have a problem with obesity because people do not understand there feelings !

You have on the one hand a mass capitalist market trying to manipulate your feelings and emotions to buying food and on the other hand you have a mass capitalist fitness market trying to make you feel guilty for those feelings .

There is a massive growing issue with eating disorders along side obesity - this is because we live in this yo-yo society of having absolute control or letting go completely because it seems to difficult or you feel helpless and guilty .

I am suggesting a successful combination of understanding in a text read based way and applying through your senses ( learning your body through experience) so instead of controlling your desires and feelings , you guide and compromise with them .....

You will never win a battle of control against food or sex for a life time ;)

noobydooby
07-05-2013, 09:22 AM

list down every ingredient and weight that goes into the gravy. then do a google search for each ingredient, maybe flour, butter, etc.

eriquee
07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I think that many people find happiness and comfort in food, which in my opinion is wrong. Food keeps you alive, yeah sure some foods are delicious but the main purpose is to stay alive, so you need to eat what essential and with the rest of the remaining calories you can eat what you enjoy (thats what i do).
People think that all their meals must be very tasty and thats it, they dont care about macros, meeting daily minimums, and overall general health.

I say this because in during lunch time people keep asking me why do I bring food from home, instead of eating at the restaurant, and when I that I count calories and weight everything I eat they start laughing, and saying that i`m OCD with this stuff. Mind you that they are overweight.

mynameisuntz
07-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I am suggesting a successful combination of understanding in a text read based way and applying through your senses ( learning your body through experience) so instead of controlling your desires and feelings , you guide and compromise with them .....

Could not agree more. Attempts to control, avoid, or alter our thoughts/feelings paradoxically backfire ("stop thinking about polar bears," now you're thinking about polar bears). Instead, it's a matter of negotiating with them and allowing thoughts, urges, and desires to be present but still negotiate a course that is most beneficial to you. Over-control gives the illusion of success, but in reality it has a rather enslaving effect for many.

WonderPug
07-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Could not agree more. Attempts to control, avoid, or alter our thoughts/feelings paradoxically backfire ("stop thinking about polar bears," now you're thinking about polar bears). Instead, it's a matter of negotiating with them and allowing thoughts, urges, and desires to be present but still negotiate a course that is most beneficial to you. Over-control gives the illusion of success, but in reality it has a rather enslaving effect for many.I agree.

Food for thought for the OP and others who might have an interest in exploring the topic:

Changes in Diet and Lifestyle and Long-Term Weight Gain in Women and Men (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC#t=articleTop)
Dariush Mozaffarian, M.D., Dr.P.H., Tao Hao, M.P.H., Eric B. Rimm, Sc.D., Walter C. Willett, M.D., Dr.P.H., and Frank B. Hu, M.D., Ph.D.
N Engl J Med 2011; 364:2392-2404June 23, 2011DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1014296

adam247
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Could not agree more. Attempts to control, avoid, or alter our thoughts/feelings paradoxically backfire ("stop thinking about polar bears," now you're thinking about polar bears). Instead, it's a matter of negotiating with them and allowing thoughts, urges, and desires to be present but still negotiate a course that is most beneficial to you. Over-control gives the illusion of success, but in reality it has a rather enslaving effect for many.

Going off topic a bit but in business and the fitness world from my experience it seems some people recognize success by conformity to what ever is the fashionable journey there.

I find myself defending both my philosophy in nutrition/ training and my business moves every day by people who are less thoughtful and do not have a profitable business.

It seems that we live in a culture that individuals will sacrifice there owns journey for approval of 'others'

It's why I called my company 'feel free nutrition'

Our intrinsic self is being externalized by the media slightly manipulated and then sold back to us before we ever have time to know 'ourselves'

It's than journey of self I am promoting :)

Sorry for going off topic : /

Ceng0
07-05-2013, 12:16 PM
if you have a smartphone there are great apps nowadays, where you can count your calories macros ect.

Funkdubius
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I think that many people find happiness and comfort in food, which in my opinion is wrong. Food keeps you alive, yeah sure some foods are delicious but the main purpose is to stay alive, so you need to eat what essential and with the rest of the remaining calories you can eat what you enjoy (thats what i do).
People think that all their meals must be very tasty and thats it, they dont care about macros, meeting daily minimums, and overall general health.

I say this because in during lunch time people keep asking me why do I bring food from home, instead of eating at the restaurant, and when I that I count calories and weight everything I eat they start laughing, and saying that i`m OCD with this stuff. Mind you that they are overweight.

Eating good food is one of the greatest pleasure on earth! The idea is not to private ourself of what we like the most, but when you control what you eat 90% of the time, you can definitly eat and drink what you crave for!

Like many have said the key to long term weightloss is balance.

I still maintain that weighting/tracking food intake specially in the beginning is a powerful tool to help learning about portion sizes and to open the eyes of people who never paid attention to nutrition what they really eat (total calories and macros).

Funkdubius
07-08-2013, 01:02 AM
I agree.

Food for thought for the OP and others who might have an interest in exploring the topic:

Changes in Diet and Lifestyle and Long-Term Weight Gain in Women and Men (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296?query=TOC#t=articleTop)
Dariush Mozaffarian, M.D., Dr.P.H., Tao Hao, M.P.H., Eric B. Rimm, Sc.D., Walter C. Willett, M.D., Dr.P.H., and Frank B. Hu, M.D., Ph.D.
N Engl J Med 2011; 364:2392-2404June 23, 2011DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1014296

I am not great in english since french is my language, could you resume in your own words the article please ?