PDA

View Full Version : Thought I would share...

pontybiker
07-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone,

Weight - 200lb
Height - 6ft 1"
Age - 34

Goal - To gain lean muscle

So, I have been on and off these boards for nearly 10 years. Trained non stop from 2004 - 2007. At that time, I wasn't that bothered with nutrition, mainly because I was naive/stupid and because I had no goal in mind. Now however, I'm a lot older and wiser. I have just gone through a divorce so what better time to hit the iron again. This time I do have a goal which is to compete on stage this time next year. I know you may say, you should just be pilling on the pounds because its my "off" season, but its not what I want to do. I want to continue to eat as you see below for the the moment. I may decide to change that up through our winter months September - January.

I started back training June 2012, then I got injured in December so I had to take 3 months off. I have been back training since April. I have lost in the region of 3% bf and gained roughly 7lb of weight, I'm not sure how much of this is muscle.

I have pasted the diet I have been using to achieve this plus the workout regime. If you have the time, please critique away. The reason for posting is really to show that what I have been doing is working for me.

I know the first thing you will spot it that my protein is high and my carbs are low. There is a reason for this. It may not be conventional but, with two kids and a busy full time job on rare occasion I may miss a meal, but I know that I have still gained enough protein. I know I gain more carbs than what is in the table because of the little "snacks" i fit in like peanuts, but this is the base level.

Hope that all makes sense!!! Anyway, here is my nutrition plan and my workout plan.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jamie.

Nutrition
Protein Carbs Fats Cals
07:00 8 Eggs, 2 whole. Oats. 2 x wholemeal toast. 56.9 39.2 50.1 513
11:00 Tin of tuner. 6 Jacobs thins biscuits 26.6 11.2 4.5 189
13:30 Chicken & Rice 40.8 25.2 2 286
15:30 Protein Shake 49.2 4.6 2.6 240
17:30 Chicken & Broccoli 41.4 1.1 2.5 200
20:00 Protein Shake 49.2 4.6 2.6 240
20:30 White fish & Sweet Potato 38.2 55.8 2.6 448

Total 302.3 141.7 66.9 2116

pontybiker
07-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Sorry about the tables they seem to have been reformatted after I posted!!! Hope you can understand them? If not just let me know.

J

pontybiker
07-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Morn (SAT) Chest & Bi's-Cardio (SUN) Back-Cardio- Abs (MON) Sholder & Tri's-Cardio (TUE)Legs - Quads (WED) Cardio (THUR) Cardio (FRI) Cardio

Eve (SAT)Legs - Quads (SUN) REST (MON) REST (TUE)Legs-Hams/Calfs-Cardio-Abs (WED) Chest & Bi's-Cardio (THUR)Back-Cardio-Abs (FRI)Sholder & Tri's-Cardio

necon76
07-03-2013, 12:48 AM
First thoughts:

You don't need to eat that many times a day. (Unless you prefer it). Meal frequency offers no benefit. A regimented eating schedule is not necessary at all.

Your fat is a little on the low side, generally the recommendation is about 0.4g/lb. You're also correct about the protein, but that's entirely your call. 1g/lb is more than sufficient though.

Tuna every day is pushing your luck with mercury levels.

And just variety in general. Your diet looks extremely bland, & it needn't be. You can pretty much use any foods you like to meet your needs. But once again it's up to you. Possibly a bit deficient in micronutrients too, due to the lack of variety & not having any fruit in your diet.

So you have some options if you want them.

pontybiker
07-03-2013, 12:57 AM
First thoughts:

You don't need to eat that many times a day. (Unless you prefer it). Meal frequency offers no benefit. A regimented eating schedule is not necessary at all.

Your fat is a little on the low side, generally the recommendation is about 0.4g/lb. You're also correct about the protein, but that's entirely your call. 1g/lb is more than sufficient though.

Tuna every day is pushing your luck with mercury levels.

And just variety in general. Your diet looks extremely bland, & it needn't be. You can pretty much use any foods you like to meet your needs. But once again it's up to you. Possibly a bit deficient in micronutrients too, due to the lack of variety & not having any fruit in your diet.

So you have some options if you want them.

Thanks for your comments necon76.

I knew I would forget something! I do throw some fruit in. Mainly pineapple. I also consume some Greek yogurt. I spice the chicken and the beef up with various flavorings so its not too bad.

I thought the mercury levels would come up. I have looked at varying the the tuna recently. Its not made me insane just yet! ;-)

J.

pontybiker
07-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Bump, just in case some one is interested!