PDA

View Full Version : I think I might be fat deficient

JayJayOkocha
06-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I eat 3200 cals a day and only 40g of fat, needless to say i'm very fat-phobic. It seems the high carb approach doesn't work for me at all as it is very addictive and not satisfying. So my question is, if I increase my fat to a healthy level and my caloric intake stays the same, am I going to blow up like some people after they cut out carbs and re-introduce them?

I hope my question makes sense.

bambam601
06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
your body shouldnt blow up by simply upping your fat intake.
the minimum amount of fat you should be consuming is around 66g.

sindergi
Yeah your fat intake is too low - you know it probably but 0.4g/lb is the minimum.

I never blow up when I increased my fat intake - and sometimes i increase it significant. For example when I go from high carb to low carb - i balance the calories of the carbs with fat - so fat intake will go up.

MercurialXIII
nah youll be fine. I struggle to get my fats in too. I try to get em in at night though for whatever reason. Just feels best

JayJayOkocha
06-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the replies, do you guys think that I might be in a deficiency though?

Jiigzz
06-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Why are you fat phobic? Fat doesn't make you fat.

benjobb
06-28-2013, 11:37 PM
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/articles/nutrition/3389-the-skinny-on-dietary-fat-and-testosterone.html#.Uc5_dj6hJig

Great article by Dr. Layne Norton on it. Basically if you're deficient in them and increase them to moderate or high levels (.4g/bodyweight and above), studies have observed that men (and subsequently you) will experience an increase in baseline testosterone levels. So it may actually not do anything, but why not?

SkydogGinsberg
06-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, do you guys think that I might be in a deficiency though?
Yes. If you sustained any detrimental effect (depending how long you were deficient), it'll fix itself once you get back to a healthy intake and stabilize for some weeks. Don't worry about it, just get your fats up.

StoliFun
06-29-2013, 01:57 AM
I eat 3200 cals a day and only 40g of fat, needless to say i'm very fat-phobic. It seems the high carb approach doesn't work for me at all as it is very addictive and not satisfying. So my question is, if I increase my fat to a healthy level and my caloric intake stays the same, am I going to blow up like some people after they cut out carbs and re-introduce them?

If by blow up you mean bloat, all I can say is that the makeup of your gut flora will change and that might result in constipation or the opposite, or a weird mixture of both. If you want to minimize discomfort, just make it a gradual process. Replace 100 cals of carbs with 100 cals of fat each week. Or 200 cals of carbs with 200 cals of fat every two weeks. And maybe take a basic probiotic.

KobiDC
06-29-2013, 05:35 AM
You're not going to blow up from eating the recommended levels of fat intake for your weight. Don't be scared of fats OP. :)

Makween
06-29-2013, 05:54 AM
You may or may not be deficient. If you sustained that level of fat intake you'd become deficient eventually.

When people seem to blow up after reintroducing carbs it's largely because of water retention. Glycogen retains a lot of water, so higher glycogen levels makes them look bloated. People often feel like they've put on loads of fat when in actual fact they've put on little to none. Switching carbs for fats won't have that effect as if anything you might be retaining slightly less water.

As long as caloric intake remains constant eating higher fat won't have any impact at all on body composition, and if you're in a deficiency you'll probably find yourself performing better which would be a positive thing. You really should be eating more fat.

evalala
06-29-2013, 06:04 AM
As it's important to take in every foodgroup it seems like a good idea to increase your fat intake with quite a bit. Like mentioned several times in this thread, it's probably smart to do this in a gradual way!

Lvisaa2
06-29-2013, 06:34 AM

People 'blow up' after re-introducing carbs, because they retain more glycogen and therefore more water. Fats won't have this effect. While there may be a small digestion adjustment, I doubt it unless you are drastically increasing your fat intake.