PDA

View Full Version : Draft thoughts?

woahhh
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
How did you like your teams draft?

Cavs took Bennett #1 overall and I think they will sign Bynum this offseason. Kyrie/Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/Bynum

Brooklyn/Celtics blockbuster

Sixers fan here and I think we had the best draft.. Traded for Noel + 2014 1st rounder, Drafted MCW to replace Jrue, traded a second round pick (35th) for two 2014 second round picks + the 54th pick and took Kazemi. We gonna eat good next years draft.. lol

brb_ballin
06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Celtics fan:

fuk.

notWilliam
06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
76ers:
Draft Noel sit him first year, let MCW run the point with an Austin Rivers esque 35/30/65 (percentages lmfao).
Win only 24 games and hope to get the #1 pick.

Love list:
Oladipo/McCollum
Good value:
Olynyk/Schroeder/Porter
Will not live up to draft pick:
Len/Mclemore/Zeller

Because Mclemore was drafted by the Bobcats, I think he'll be a journeyman in the league.
If only he was drafted by a quality organization, he would've developed.
Tis the sad part about the draft; the quality players usually go 2 chitty organizations and never get better and the cycle repeats.

TSFP
06-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Kings fan:

feelsgoodman :)

serevei
06-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Minnesota fan:
Absolutely depressing.

woahhh
Mclemore was taken by the Kings

wildchild11
im checking out utah jazz blogs and everyone is jizzing over burke.

Burke, Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter. Thats a promising young line up

arman24
06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Lakers drafted the next Dirk

not srs

brb_ballin
06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Minnesota fan:
Absolutely depressing.

lol wat?

asdf98
06-27-2013, 09:39 PM
pelicans

not a fan of the trade

evansanity
06-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Utah and SPurs best drafts

AirCanada
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Kings fan:

feelsgoodman :)

You guys better hope you fix the roster around him and change the locker room culture. Right now it's literally the worst team for a player like McLemore to be on, other than maybe Charlotte.

There's no veteran leader to keep the young guys in check and a lot of McLemore's issues are mental so that's a huge negative on his development already.
On the court isn't going to be very impressive either unless he seriously develops a handle by October. He can't create his own shot and there's no one on Sacramento that can effectively do that for him.

Dude has superstar potential for sure, but Sacramento as currently constructed isn't a good place for him to try and reach it. If he was in Minny, Phoenix, basically anywhere with a couple of guys who can create for him and a scorer to keep the pressure off him + a veteran presence or decent locker room, he'd be in a much better position to reach his potential.

freshnevafrozen
06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Sacramento is basically killing Demarcus' career, Mclemore's career is done with the same awful organization.

Unr1valed
06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Minnesota fan:
Absolutely depressing.

I'd be pretty happy with Shabazz/Dieng tbh

flexnation
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Sacramento is basically killing Demarcus' career, Mclemore's career is done with the same awful organization.

No, Demarcus is killing Demarcus' career. If the dude had a brain, he would be the best center in the league.

anyway, Blazer fan here and im fuking stoked! CJ Mccullom is gonna be a perfect fit for this team.

Lillard and Mccullom will develop into the best backcourt in the NBA. Curry/Thompson who?

Shortstop36
06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Celtics:

Moved up to get a guy i hate (kelly olynyk), so ya.
Traded away the Remainder of our team.
Lost our coach a few days ago.

FUARKKKKKKKK

MurkinSeason
06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Orlandipo.. That is all

Daz206
06-27-2013, 10:58 PM
im checking out utah jazz blogs and everyone is jizzing over burke.

Burke, Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter. Thats a promising young line up

This

serevei
06-27-2013, 10:59 PM
lol wat?

I'd be pretty happy with Shabazz/Dieng tbh
Shabazz simply isnt a good player at all.. not good at getting to the rim, one of the worst passes in college basketball, not good off the dribble and a horrible defender... The only reason to draft him is because of his size and supposed upside (only reason to suggest any was his ability to beat up younger opposition in high school) He's essentially a catch and shoot player atm ... that's it. I wouldn't have drafted him with the 26 let alone the 15th.

We simply should have taken McCollum at 9 and grabbed withey at 26 (whose essentially a slightly worse version of Dieng)...

Another wasted pick by this hapless franchise... here's praying this move isn't a sign of things to come (ak out, mayo in... please god no!)

I'll leave you with this from flip tonight after the draft...

Flip Saunders ********@Flip_Saunders 44m
I know many #twolves disappointed. We will be ok and time will show that are picks will produce. They are physically ready. I own up to thm

Malfa
06-27-2013, 11:06 PM
cj

mccollum

dmoneythegoat
06-27-2013, 11:09 PM
pelicans fan. not sure how I feel about the trade. but always hopeful. Actually liked the Pierre Jackson pick in the 2nd. mainly bc it all but assures that Vasquez is gone

mk8
06-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Blazers got McCollum Crabbe and Withey? Oh lawd

ThatKindaGuy
06-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Is there like a video of the whole thing online?

Blazers got a great pick with McCollum. So did the Hawks with Schröder.

si1ver
06-28-2013, 02:57 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p480x480/1044616_605993969431279_1008836036_n.png
There has only been unanimous praise for our GM Ryan McDonough (was Asst. GM in Boston) so we just have to hope Len turns out well. There's nothing we can do right now to make this team any good except hope our picks turn out and go after Wiggins next year.

MCrow
06-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Wolves:

Not sure.

Bazz-

Strengths:
Scoring potential
Good rebounder
Long arms
Physically strong for his position
Post game
Intensity on the offensive side
Potentially a good defenseive player
Better than advertised outside shooter

Weakness:
Attitude may be an issue
Not great ballhandling skills
Not great driving to the hole
Not a great athlete, maybe average at best
Lacks intensity on defense
Generally needs to have set feet to be effective with the jumper.
Lack of passing, not sure if it is because he's bad at it or just doesn't like to pass

Dieng-
Strengths:

Very long
Great athlete for his position
Quickness laterally makes him able to defend smaller players better
Great shot blocker
Good running the floor for his size
Good touch around the hoop
Good mid range jumper
Good Passer
Great character
Good rebounder

Weaknesses:
Very raw, particularly on the offensive side.
Almost no back to the basket skills.
While he has added weight and strength still probably needs another 15 pounds.

Overall-

Would liked to have McLemore or KCP which Saunders said he was targeting but just couldn't work out a reasonable deal for them. It sounds like they also like Zeller so thank God that didn't workout. Not being able to make a deal for the KCP or McLemore, maybe they should have taken McCollum but I can see why you wouldn't take him as a SG (size) and that makes sense. Bazz has a lot of upside and can be very good if the a-hole factor stays low and he can work on being more of a team player and his ball skills. Bazz could easily be a 20+ ppg, 6-8 RPG type of player. I think he has the length to become a pretty good defender if he puts in the effort.

Dieng to me is very interesting. I'm not comparing him to Hakeem but if you look at him and compare him physically to Hakeem at the same age they look alike. Obviously, Dieng doesn't have 1/10th the offenseive game and probably will never have it but I think he could be a Mutombo type at the top end.

I would probably give the Wolves a "B".

I think the thing to keep in mind for the Wolves is that we have to look at this from a whole offseason point of view. The Wolves got rid of Malcom Lee for cap space ($850k), not likely to pick up the options on Stiemsma and Cunningham (Not both of them anyway). AK-47 has a $10m player option so we will see if he stays or not. the Wolves will have between $12m-$22m to spend on FA.

With that sort of cash availible they could pick up O.J. Mayo, Iggy, Redick, or maybe J.R. Smith.

If you can put out:

PG: Rubio
SG: Mayo
SF: Bazz/AK
PF: Love
C: Pek backed up by Dieng

And they stay healthy they should be a playoff team next year.

Iczer
06-28-2013, 08:33 AM
As others have stated, the last place I wanted McLemore to go was the Kings.

MCrow
06-28-2013, 10:26 AM
I think the thing to keep in mind for the Wolves is that we have to look at this from a whole offseason point of view. The Wolves got rid of Malcom Lee for cap space ($850k), not likely to pick up the options on Stiemsma and Cunningham (Not both of them anyway). AK-47 has a $10m player option so we will see if he stays or not. the Wolves will have between $12m-$22m to spend on FA.

With that sort of cash availible they could pick up O.J. Mayo, Iggy, Redick, or maybe J.R. Smith.

If you can put out:

PG: Rubio
SG: Mayo
SF: Bazz/AK
PF: Love
C: Pek backed up by Dieng

And they stay healthy they should be a playoff team next year.

Well, they just picked up the option on Cunningham so that drops the cap space down to about $20.2m pending AK-47 at $10.2m.

So, still looks like they'll have to pay Pek though. Not sure what market is for him but I'm guessing $6-$8m per so that would probably leave the Wolves with around $2-$4m to sign a SG.

Doober4
06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
All I know is the Spurs got Deshaun Thomas in the end of the second round, dude is going to be a beast not sure why he fell that far.

monsterBEN
06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Wizards did well with Glen Rice Jr in the 2nd rd.

MCrow
06-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I always like it when people cream their pants about a second rounder when maybe one of all of the 2nd rounders picked in a given year will make any meaningful impact on the NBA level.

feardafronfz3
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
I always like it when people cream their pants about a second rounder when maybe one of all of the 2nd rounders picked in a given year will make any meaningful impact on the NBA level.

And this guy will be the one

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Tony-Mitchell-2012-Mix-STILL_1.jpg

hnnnnggggg

http://hendricks266.duke4.net/img/awesome/RandyMarshJizz.jpg

ballzofpeaze
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Warriors fan.

Who the fek is Nemanja Nedovic and why is he in the first round?

Reptarr
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
All I know is the Spurs got Deshaun Thomas in the end of the second round, dude is going to be a beast not sure why he fell that far.

Lol you're not biased at all.. Personally, I just don't think he his athletic enough to be successful in the NBA. Shoots way too many threes even though he only makes 35% of them. Pretty poor defense, I'm pretty sure most SF are going to be alot quicker than him and get by him with ease and he's a bit undersized for the stretch 4.. but who the **** am I inb4 he dominates on the Spurs.

monsterBEN
06-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Too small to guard PFs, too slow to guard SFs is what I'm thinking. Spurs probably think he can create offensive mismatches, and improve on defense.

MCrow
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Too small to guard PFs, too slow to guard SFs is what I'm thinking. Spurs probably think he can create offensive mismatches, and improve on defense.

See Derrick Williams, only smaller.

TheVM
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't think you can give anyone a terrible grade or good grade, such a weak class. I think who sticks around and who flames out will kind of hard to predict, definitely no one that stood out.

Cavs:
Everyone was surprised, but we shouldn't be. This is in line with how Cavs draft: best player available despite position needs with high emphasis on computer analyzed statistics. I have seen several writers throw his name around into what fits into Cavs category, but no one even thought we were considering it. Thats a tight lipped club house.
I would have been happy with Noel or Oladipo, but obviously we got Waiters and people were scared of Noel. I think Greg Oden probably made Noel drop. no matter how skilled are, you are no good when you spend 80% on the DL.
The russian dude, I think he will be a good bench player. Heard the second round guy is good defender all I know. Probably worthless.
My fear now, is how bad our defense is going to be.

Celtics: good deal, time to move on. will be horrible next year but I think if there is a time to suck it's for the 2014 draft

kingchitarchort
06-28-2013, 11:57 AM
quietly Dumars did a very nice job this draft

fills in the 2 guard, and floor spacing need with KCP, also a great defender at the wing.

Fills in 3 need with tony mitchell, another high flyer with drummond, who i believe will end up starting as the season goes on.

gets a potential back up pg if bynum decides to leave in siva, I see siva being a very good back up in the league, coulda went with kabongo here too but oh well.

I'm not mad we passed on burke but KCP will be a very good player for us.

Good job Joe D...for once.

RoseBulls
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Pelicans: Fk yea, probably only team I would give an A. Great point guard + first rounder in next years draft is a steal. Chances of Noel having an offense are probably around really low. He will be a Tyson Chandler, All Star, DPOY, a difference maker. But he will never carry your team to the playoffs. The loss of your leading scorer wouldn't hurt so much if you had a pick next year.

Pelicans gave away the 1st round pick, they didn't receive one.

Noel + protected (1-3) 1st rnd for Jrue Holiday and a second round pick guy from this year's draft.

I really rate Jrue despite a couple horrible games end of last season. Don't know what 76ers are thinking. Just going to tank in hope for Wiggins. I really wouldn't have done that deal if I were 76ers GM. Holiday is a future star.

TheVM
06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Pelicans gave away the 1st round pick, they didn't receive one.

Noel + protected (1-3) 1st rnd for Jrue Holiday and a second round pick guy from this year's draft.

I really rate Jrue despite a couple horrible games end of last season. Don't know what 76ers are thinking. Just going to tank in hope for Wiggins. I really wouldn't have done that deal if I were 76ers GM. Holiday is a future star.

You are right I was completely misinformed when I read about this last night. Will delete that part.

jalundah
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Hawks-

I like what they got. Bebe will be a solid center in a few years (hopefully), and Muscala was an absolute steal as a 2nd rounder. I don't know much about the german PG they drafted, but hopefully he can replace Teague.

Right now the players on the roster include
C-Lucas Nogueira
C/PF-Al Horford
C/PF-Mike Muscala
SG-Jared Cunningham
G-Lou Williams
PG-Dennis Schroeder
PG-John Jenkins

I think Horford and Williams are the only starters right now.. Everything else is completely up in the air. As much as I'd like to have CP3 and Dwight come to ATL, I think Al Jefferson and Andre Iguodola would be solid pickups.

AirCanada
06-28-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't know much about the german PG they drafted, but hopefully he can replace Teague.

I've done a lot of research on the kid and I honestly love the guy. I was really hoping that the Raptors might have been able to trade into the mid 1st round to grab him. He's oozing with potential and has everything a PG could possibly need to be good in the league. He reminds me of a cross between Rajon Rondo and Jose Calderon (obviously not as good as either yet, but he can very well get there). He's athletic as hell, lightning quick, and has the potential to be one of those pesky defenders that you just hate playing against because of the ridiculous ball pressure he puts on you. The Rondo part I see in him is the defense and passing ability on the break. The Jose Calderon part comes in on his shooting ability from 3 and the way he runs a pick and roll is picture perfect. Really advanced for a guy with his experience. He reads the defense so well and is so patient that you can almost always count on the roll man getting a perfect pass, whether it's a lob, bounce pass, etc...he's also really good with cross court passes to find open shooters.

The major cons with him is his confidence in his shot. On set shots where he's given the ball, he's money, but when he's trying to create one on one, if he doesn't get by the defender he can't create a jumper for himself, and he's not confident at all in taking shots the defense gives him when they go under a screen, even if he's wide open. Another big one is his size. He's only 6'1 and skinny as hell, so he'll get bullied by the bigger stronger PGs that seem to be coming into the league more often. Also because of his size he's not a good finisher at the rim.

He's a great prospect with a lot of potential though and a lot of his issues are mental and confidence related which can be overcome with good coaching and teammates. I'm obviously really high on the kid and think you guys got a great prospect.

Mid
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
NYK - Hardaway jr....

We needed a center to help Chandler out (Whithey). He's going to get destroyed with all of these 7 footers getting picked.

ballzofpeaze
06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Hawks-

I like what they got. Bebe will be a solid center in a few years (hopefully), and Muscala was an absolute steal as a 2nd rounder. I don't know much about the german PG they drafted, but hopefully he can replace Teague.

Right now the players on the roster include
C-Lucas Nogueira
C/PF-Al Horford
C/PF-Mike Muscala
SG-Jared Cunningham
G-Lou Williams
PG-Dennis Schroeder
PG-John Jenkins

I think Horford and Williams are the only starters right now.. Everything else is completely up in the air. As much as I'd like to have CP3 and Dwight come to ATL, I think Al Jefferson and Andre Iguodola would be solid pickups.

Schroeder, if given the reigns to the team will be ROTY.

Saxbro
06-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Wizards fan:

Happy with our picks. Always skeptical though given our history recently...Wall, Vesely, Beal, Porter (up, down, up...???)

Mid
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Who's going to sign the free agents? I really hope NYK doesn't lose copeland or shumpert....would be a huge loss