PDA

View Full Version : Should i just give up squats? any sports medicine experts here? Knee clicking problem

druken bastard
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM

I've been to countless physios with not much success. Here is my issue. Everytime i squat down (been using rippetoes squat method as referance low bar), if i go a centimeter below the point where my hip crease is below my knee, i get a clicking pop in this area (circled in red). What i have been told by physios

1) my regular one-i have a weak interior quad which i am told to strengthen with assisted leg extensions (place opposite leg under injured leg, raise it up and lower it slowly with my leg underneath. then do stationary bike, and partial or ball squats. no leg press or regular squats

2) static stretch it band

3)if it doesn't hurt dont worry about it.

Problem is none of these worked. Im getting really frustrated with this and i don't want to neglect my legs by not squatting. Yes it doesn't hurt now, but i dont want this to manifest into something else. I've been foam rolling, taking fish oils and vitamin d, laying off squatting with no success. It seems permanent. has anyone experienced this?

druken bastard
06-22-2013, 11:47 AM
attached pic

Richie71
06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I vote for option 3, and carry on if it doesn't hurt, but have no medical qualifications! :)

azstrengthcoach
06-22-2013, 06:26 PM

I've been to countless physios with not much success. Here is my issue. Everytime i squat down (been using rippetoes squat method as referance low bar), if i go a centimeter below the point where my hip crease is below my knee, i get a clicking pop in this area (circled in red). What i have been told by physios

1) my regular one-i have a weak interior quad which i am told to strengthen with assisted leg extensions (place opposite leg under injured leg, raise it up and lower it slowly with my leg underneath. then do stationary bike, and partial or ball squats. no leg press or regular squats

2) static stretch it band

3)if it doesn't hurt dont worry about it.

Problem is none of these worked. Im getting really frustrated with this and i don't want to neglect my legs by not squatting. Yes it doesn't hurt now, but i dont want this to manifest into something else. I've been foam rolling, taking fish oils and vitamin d, laying off squatting with no success. It seems permanent. has anyone experienced this?

If it doesn't hurt don't worry about it

-=FLEX=-
06-22-2013, 06:42 PM
My knees make noise when I squat. I drown it out with loud music and go about my workouts.

pvsampson
06-22-2013, 06:46 PM
My knees make noise when I squat. I drown it out with loud music and go about my workouts.

Not surprised if they scream at 125 decibels!!

jdtemple
06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
My knees make noise when I squat. I drown it out with loud music and go about my workouts.Same here. Lots of stretching and just ignoring the noise.

All I have to do to get some noise out if mine is walk up/down some stairs.

cthulhupun
06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Have you tried using neoprene knee bands like the Tommy Kono sleeves (I just bought these, and I can tell you that it appears they have fixed their production issues they had a few years ago)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400296251302?var=670032537818&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Or the old, blue Rehband sleeves
http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-KS

jediokie
06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
^^^This

fittofattofit
06-23-2013, 03:33 AM
In the area you point a popping sound is likely to be either
1. A bursa making a 'sucking' noise, or
2. The patella tracking unevenly

It's not within the knee joint so it's not something like a meniscus (cartilage) or loose body which is more of a concern

The most likely thing is 2. the patella tracking unevenly, and this is may be due to a weakness of the medial quads (I assume that's what the PT meant by 'interior')
My PT got me to do Bulgarian Split Squats with a lateral band so that I have to activate the medial quads to counteract the pull of the band --- this has helped me a lot. I was getting pain and clicking, but mores it was causing my knees to bow out when squatting down and making my drive up from the bottom of the hole weaker

Pd76FCbn2kE

Vemtaz
06-23-2013, 03:58 AM
I noticed the same problem the first time I ever did squats back when I was like 16. Mine makes a sound like a stick breaking in my right knee. It didn't hurt, but I didn't want to push it and need knee surgery or have knee pain down the road. I never asked a doctor about it, and so far so good. I've worked out legs with leg press and they are big and strong. Yes squats are better for growth, but leg press will get the job done too just slower. To me that was more important than doing squats and having knee pain or needing knee surgery down the road. I'm 37 now and so far no pain in that spot but still have the same stick breaking sound.

Jacobus10Broek
06-23-2013, 04:43 AM
Find the book "Muscle Medicine" by Stefano (DC), Kelly (MD) and Hooper. I'm recommending it to all my friends who are active.
Amazon has it:
amazon.com/Muscle-Medicine-Revolutionary-Maintaining-Strengthening/dp/1416562567

Co tenBroek