PDA

View Full Version : LBM - is it accurate? I don't think so...

TokyoPano
06-21-2013, 05:43 PM
I only read about LBM a few months back from this site. If my understanding is correct it is cool - it can tell you how much muscle your adding?

In April I was 153 lbs @ 13% body fat = 133 LBM

So I'm trying to bulk, using the LBM calculator here I can tell if I'm putting on muscle in addition to fat - that's the theory right?

As of today I'm 165 lbs @ 14.2% body fat = 141.6 LBM

Sounds good, just one problem - there is no way I have put on 8 lbs of muscle. I can see some gains sure, but not 8 lbs worth. So what gives, what am I missing here?

SkydogGinsberg
06-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Your two bodyfat measurements aren't accurate (and from the 14.2, I presume you're using a bio-impedance device, notoriously suspect). With a gain rate of 6lbs/mo., you're adding more fat than necessary. In that sense, you're correct that you're not seeing 8lbs of muscle growth. From your pics in bodyspace, I'd guess 18%, maybe 20%.

A guide like this will be a little more helpful:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_5h8f3-ms4M/UV7qHAUteRI/AAAAAAAAB_c/o7wGMksYAOg/s1600/percentual+gordura.jpg

TokyoPano
06-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the photo guide, certainly useful. My gain rate average for the last 4 months has been 3lb per month (153 -> 165). So the question still remains, if the scale goes up and it is not muscle being added why does the LBM number go up. It should be going down probably...

davidolson22
06-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the photo guide, certainly useful. My gain rate average for the last 4 months has been 3lb per month (153 -> 165). So the question still remains, if the scale goes up and it is not muscle being added why does the LBM number go up. It should be going down probably...

Read some of the logs of the guys who start huge and cut until they are normal sized. They always start with a huge LBM because not all of that number is muscle. It's lots of things that make up LBM. So when you gain or lose weight you expect LBM to go up even if you aren't gaining muscle.

But yo uare 6'0", 165 pounds. Your body is probably going to put on muscle at a reasonably fast rate in the beginning.

TokyoPano
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Darn, guess I understanding was LBM is not complete. So when I see posters on this board say I added 10lb of muscle last year (or whatever number) how do they actually know that?

davidolson22
06-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Darn, guess I understanding was LBM is not complete. So when I see posters on this board say I added 10lb of muscle last year (or whatever number) how do they actually know that?

It's all a big guess. Even with a DEXA scan, you don't know what portion of the LBM gain is muscle, afaik.

michail71
06-21-2013, 10:02 PM
It always seems to come down to the mirror test and tape measurements. Anything else will drive you mad.