PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder popped out while doing T-bar rows

TouaregV8
06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I had the strangest thing happen to me last night. I was on my third set of T-bar rows with 4 plates on the bar, around my 7th or 8th rep as I lowered the bar toward the floor it felt like my right shoulder popped out of the joint and I felt a dull thud. My middle and rear delts immediately contracted very hard (felt like a cramp) and the shoulder quickly went back in place. I instantly stopped the exercise and went home after this happened. I started on 800mg of ibuprophen and ice as soon as I got home. My middle and rear delts are very sore today. Muscle function seems normal and there does not appear to be any tears or muscle deformities visible.

I've done this exercise thousands of times with even more weight and this has never happened before. Now I fear that since this has happened once that it will occur more frequently in the future. Looks like some rotator cuff stabilizer movements and light weights for awhile on back day.

mslman71
06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Any history of shoulder separation or labrum damage (wouldn't necessarily believe it was a dislocation anyway)?

I am assuming you make it a point to maintain tension through the movement. That is, you do not let the joint relax at the bottom prior to a heave.

Whiskeyjack
06-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Any history of shoulder separation or labrum damage (wouldn't necessarily believe it was a dislocation anyway)?

I am assuming you make it a point to maintain tension through the movement. That is, you do not let the joint relax at the bottom prior to a heave.

This. I too do T-bars with that weight and ONLY when I make some adjustment, relaxation, change of angle, full lock do I get some form of injury (though not the OPs).

drudixon
06-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Weird bud. You did the right thing. Hope it's nothing severe and you get right back at it.

TouaregV8
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM

No prior history of separation, but you bring up a very good point that gets me thinking...I do use an exaggerated range of motion on my rowing movements. At the bottom of the movement I allow my shoulders to round slightly while maintaining an arch in my lower back. Perhaps this was the problem?

The only other thing I can think of that may be related to this incident is after my thyroid surgery in December I had a noticeable weakness in my infraspinatus muscle on the same side. I mentioned this to my surgeon and he has no idea how this may have happened or how it could be related to my surgery, but I assured him that it happened. Over the last several months the weakness has slowly resolved itself, or so I thought...

Powerkicker
06-21-2013, 01:12 PM
I popped my hip out of joint in TaeKwonDo sparring. My master popped it back by grabbing my foot in his hands and stepping on my crotch and stomping down. It sounds crazy but the joint popped back in and I took it easy the rest of the night. Only ever happened once. Weird thing. Nothing weirder than letting another man stomp your testicles.

TouaregV8
06-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I popped my hip out of joint in TaeKwonDo sparring. My master popped it back by grabbing my foot in his hands and stepping on my crotch and stomping down. It sounds crazy but the joint popped back in and I took it easy the rest of the night. Only ever happened once. Weird thing. Nothing weirder than letting another man stomp your testicles.

Wow, damn! Glad to hear this never happened again after that.

scullin
06-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Had a shoulder pop out due to a fall one time. After it happened it would randomly pop out all the time when I was just standing around. I couldn't put hands over head (no OHP, chins, etc) without it hurting like hell and poping out also. But I had no problems doing pushups or benching etc.

What fixed it was physcial therapy for 6 months plus about 30 - 50 of these a day... Jbk4Tl4K8fM

Haven't had a problem with it in about 7 years now.

Get-n-fit
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
stepping on my crotch and stomping down

0_o

That would make any other pains disappear immediately right there!!

Halfway
06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
hopefully it's not serious. My chiro repositions my hip every few weeks, so joints can get out of alignment without necessarily dislocating

how is your form on rowing? Do you lift and lower with control and not let your shoulders round at the bottom of pulling movements?

Tbars tend to devolve into a horrible looking ego-stroke for most people, I'm always amazed that there aren't more damaged biceps, shoulders and lower backs from watching people do that lift.

GuyJin
06-21-2013, 05:45 PM
The only thing I'd add to the advices given is that you might think of dropping T-Bars entirely or at least until everything heals satisfactorily. I never liked T-Bars, mainly because of the strain it put on my lower back and also the fact that I never felt anything from them. I always got a better pump from doing one-arm rows or cable rows or even bent rows/machine rows. For me, T-Bars did nothing.

And yes, I second the "never relax in the bottom part of the row" suggestion. One split second is all it takes.

tornmuscle123
06-21-2013, 06:50 PM
i would think this occurred as others suggested in that you were tired and lost good form - do you have a chest supported row machine?

TouaregV8
06-21-2013, 08:33 PM
hopefully it's not serious. My chiro repositions my hip every few weeks, so joints can get out of alignment without necessarily dislocating
how is your form on rowing? Do you lift and lower with control and not let your shoulders round at the bottom of pulling movements?

Tbars tend to devolve into a horrible looking ego-stroke for most people, I'm always amazed that there aren't more damaged biceps, shoulders and lower backs from watching people do that lift.

I suspect it was caused by this:

I do use an exaggerated range of motion on my rowing movements. At the bottom of the movement I allow my shoulders to round slightly while maintaining an arch in my lower back. Perhaps this was the problem?

The only thing I'd add to the advices given is that you might think of dropping T-Bars entirely or at least until everything heals satisfactorily. I never liked T-Bars, mainly because of the strain it put on my lower back and also the fact that I never felt anything from them. I always got a better pump from doing one-arm rows or cable rows or even bent rows/machine rows. For me, T-Bars did nothing.

And yes, I second the "never relax in the bottom part of the row" suggestion. One split second is all it takes.

Will definitely be dropping the T-bar rows for awhile. Have been trying to focus on back thickness lately.

i would think this occurred as others suggested in that you were tired and lost good form - do you have a chest supported row machine?

Due to an old lower back injury, my form is never sacrificed. I always keep a nice arch in my back with head up the entire set.

Was using a machine similar to this:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/resources/products/muscle%20motion%20t%20bar%20row%202.jpg

Covenantcoins
06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
0_o

That would make any other pains disappear immediately right there!!

LOL! The contraction is what pulled the hip back into joint!!

JN69
06-23-2013, 12:05 AM
**** happens. ?

TouaregV8
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag86/Jeffh_tampa/051e5f85-c5cf-4904-9f5a-1d454b43de84_zps7a28b2ec.jpg

Get-n-fit
06-24-2013, 03:29 PM
^^^ ouch! There's some tearing in there.