PDA

View Full Version : How long before one goes catabolic when fasting?

beastmode47
06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
How long does it take before one goes catabolic, under fasted conditions? I have some doubts with leangains' theories that fasting for 16 hours will not cause catabolism. Some science or anecdotal studies would be appreciated.

BlueRev
06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
All depends on you.
Whenever you are digesting food you wont be catabolic.
Obviously the average male compared to a bodybuilder have different rates.
Id say 16-30 hours you will be safe.
Im sure rhadam or someone will post some study.

DASBUNKER
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
16 or more hrs fast + prolonged intense activity = no bueno in my book.

16hrs in passive state shouldn't be a big issue under normal circumstances.

beastmode47
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
16 or more hrs fast + prolonged intense activity = no bueno in my book.

16hrs in passive state shouldn't be a big issue under normal circumstances.

Which is why I have some doubts on leangains' theories. I lift daily (seven days per week) and three times a week, I do fartlek/interval sprints immediately after lifting. I'm also on ketosis diet. 50 g carbs a day max + high intensity training + 2000 Cals a day = you're right, NO BUENO. I would like to add that although I do not have a surplus with Calories, I do have a surplus on protein (I consume close to 200g a day).

BlueRev
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Which is why I have some doubts on leangains' theories. I lift daily (seven days per week) and three times a week, I do fartlek/interval sprints immediately after lifting. I'm also on ketosis diet. 50 g carbs a day max + high intensity training + 2000 Cals a day = you're right, NO BUENO. I would like to add that although I do not have a surplus with Calories, I do have a surplus on protein (I consume close to 200g a day).
Yes but to that argument, Some people do the same thing and do IF
Which is proven to work.

kissdadookie
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Yes but to that argument, Some people do the same thing and do IF
Which is proven to work.

IF it's a feeding schedule. I look at it more as a strategy to help prevent overeating TBH. I don't really believe in the increase in fat burning.

beastmode47
06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking of quitting this IF diet and just down some protein spread out, three times a day. I feel like I'm stuck at my current physique and that IF is what's preventing me from further progress.

In before get on that caloric surplus. That will not be an option. Forever cutting.

melaneybh
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm thinking of quitting this IF diet and just down some protein spread out, three times a day. I feel like I'm stuck at my current physique and that IF is what's preventing me from further progress.

In before get on that caloric surplus. That will not be an option. Forever cutting.

If you feel stuck then definitely switch it up. No reason not to IMO. If switching it up doesn't work for you, you can always go back to IF.

Personally I don't bother with IF.

Swollberg
06-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Even if you do go catabolic, is it truly going to be that detrimental. Layne Norton has videos on this, if I recall correctly, and Alan Aragon has discussed this as well. You're worrying about nothing basically.

As long as you're in a caloric surplus/deficit you will either gain/lose weight. Timing of meals is completely irrelevant to body composition.

JacqueAttack
06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with following "bro-science" if that's what you prefer to do. I'm fairly sure Layne has an article on how spaced out protein intake may elevate muscle protein synthesis to give the other side some perspective.

Energy balance is the big picture and nutrient timing/frequency falls much lower on the scale of importance, however that doesn't mean it holds no place in sports nutrition.

beastmode47
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with following "bro-science" if that's what you prefer to do. I'm fairly sure Layne has an article on how spaced out protein intake may elevate muscle protein synthesis to give the other side some perspective.
Energy balance is the big picture and nutrient timing/frequency falls much lower on the scale of importance, however that doesn't mean it holds no place in sports nutrition.

Yes, I remember the bolded. Layne says 4-6 hours apart. No need for the bro-science of protein consumption every 2 hours due to refractory mumbo jumbo.

tmd17
06-20-2013, 02:20 PM

What are your goals and current daily macros?