PDA

View Full Version : Discretion the better part of valour?

Richie71
06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
I woke up with a sore lower back today. No idea why. Yesterday shouldn't have stressed it. Yesterday's training was upper back: pulldowns mainly, with some T-Bar rows. Neither put strain on the lower back. I did finish with some ab work, crunches+planks, but nothing especially strenuous. Perhaps I just slept in an odd position. I've had intermittent lower back problems in past years, but nothing for a good few months now, certainly not all this year.

Today's session was squats and deadlifts. I popped a few ibuprofen, warmed up easy and slow. With the belt on, walking up to the bar and squatting and racking was ok. Trying to move any movement other than that was awful! I persisted through the squats, did one light set of deads though and decided that was it. Went and spent ten mins stretching out my quads, hamstrings and glutes, and then had a painful 600 yard walk home.
Should be shoulders tomorrow, but overhead presses aren't going to work if my back is like this :(

ironwill2008
06-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Discretion the better part of valour?

Yes.

Especially where lower back is concerned, generally regarded as the slowest-recovering of all body parts.

Marius_Ursus
06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
To add to Will's response, practically anything can impact the lower back from worn soles to any exercise.

tornmuscle123
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
just sleeping wrong can do it