PDA

View Full Version : How do you usually feel after an intense weight lifting workout?

rocketsites
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM
36 yrs old here wondering how other over 35ers are feeling after an intense lifting routine. Do you have that "refreshed" feeling, or do you walk back to your locker and think to yourself "holy s** I just kicked my own ass". Speaking personally, after 60 to 75 minutes of a full body lifting routine, I feel like someone just gave me a serious ass whooping. Contemplating switching from full body 3 days per week @ 60-75 min workouts to alternating body parts 5 days per week @ 45-60 min workouts so as not to feel AS exhausted each time.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
If you ain't tired you ain't done...

tornmuscle123
06-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I am destroyed.

paolo59
06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Like a wrung out dish rag! I've grown to like that feeling. Sometimes it's almost exhilarating.

BRANDERSS
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Hungry, then after I eat just about dead.

PersonaNonGrata
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
A mixture of exhaustion and euphoria :-)

Whiskeyjack
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I am destroyed.

Me too. And this after at most an hour of hard training starting at 0600 on workout days. After I shower and dress I sit on a locker room bench for a minute drinking water and feelibg like Mickey Rourke's character in The Wrestler.

But the OP's issue may also have to do with his routine, fitness levels, and diet.

Richie71
06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Great but beat. Similar to how I'd feel after a game of rugby league, but without the blood and bruises. Squats and Deads day a little tougher trying to get up the stairs out of the gym and walk home, but typically feel good after a workout. I break out of my (desk based) working day to train on weekday sessions, and I'm always better coming back into work for training.....although that all could just be the caffeine from the pre-workout drink ;)

michail71
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
After doing Wendler deadlift day with a Big But Boring finish I can't sit up straight in a chair.

Get-n-fit
06-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Had a killer back workout today, was dripping in sweat after 5 sets of DL's and still had the rest of my workout to get through. I only did 4 exercises today, usually do 5, however when I started the 4th I was so exhausted and ready to puke I figure it be better to stop after I finish that one. I did several extra sets on my other exercises so that makes up for the skipped one, but I was completely wiped out.

jeremy7777
06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Before the gym - Want to rip someones head off. I would do UFC for free.
After the gym - I just want to pet kittens and smile at people. I move slower then a sloth!

Capt_Lou
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I get the sensation of a cool breeze, blowing through my hair & across my looonngg white dress. Ooohhhh, ohhhhhh.

EjnarKolinkar
06-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Your supposed to be exerted and happy about your hard work, not energized. JMO.

Most people who are energized are just monkeying around on a Cybex circuit and doing some TV watching on a treadmill, and they say they are energized because they heard somebody say that on TV

x-trainer ben
06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Exhausted until i walk for 15 min on the treadmill to get heart rate back down to a normal level. Lately i have been trying Lee Haney's theory of stimulate, not annihilate and it helps.

JRT6
06-18-2013, 12:49 PM
I feel the same when I end the workout as when I started.

Caesura75
06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
I sometimes feel worse upon waking up the following morning. I'm usually ok once I get out of bed and moving again though.

Also, I usually train around 9am - 10am, and each workout day I go through a real tired spell at around 4pm and could quite easily take a nap (I don't, though). Never get it on rest days though.

Covenantcoins
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Gravity seems to be turned up after my workouts. Even my protein drink feels heavy. I have a long commute after workouts in the morning, so thankfully I get to sit and relax, or I think I'd fall over some days.

And then some days, I think, DAAAAANG, I look GOOOOOOD!

And then I put my glasses on and.....it's just DANG!

TJC85
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM

That's a good way to describe it for me as well. Whatever muscles I trained that day usually feel like jelly, but the endorphins, etc. give me a feeling of great contentment.

hardNheavy2011
06-18-2013, 01:28 PM
After the workout I usually feel great!! The next day, not so much. lol

djflex
06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Kinda crappy, but much better after a shake or some food. After that digests i feel great usually...

Brackneyc
06-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I train at 0330. I then go to work for 10 + hours. I do not crawl into the shower, or cry after my workout. I must be doing it wrong.

UCSMiami
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
A mixture of exhaustion and euphoria :-)\

This. I feel as if I were the last man standing in some gladitorial contest. I could kill but am tired.

jmartinez301
06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I am destroyed after mine. Depending on how hard I train (strength or reps) I get completely exhausted and i'm worthless for a while. There is no way I could train like I do in the am, then go to work all day.

ArchAngel'73
06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I find training as refreshing as changing my tampon.

FitnessFan76
06-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Done in! I normally walk very fast, but after a session a snail would have a chance against me. ;)

Yep; that sums it up.

Brackneyc
06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I am destroyed after mine. Depending on how hard I train (strength or reps) I get completely exhausted and i'm worthless for a while. There is no way I could train like I do in the am, then go to work all day.

Like I said, I am doing it wrong.

You guys are in total beast mode.

Of course, I could never work like I do, and train as hard as I do.

pharmamarketer
06-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Fired up. I sweat a lot. The next day tends to be a bit different feeling

doughnutgut
06-18-2013, 03:56 PM
I usually have a sense of enormous well-being.

Then i look at the stairs i so easily climbed to get into the gym in the first place..... And walk down them sideways.

Nah... Usually i grab a banana and my body has a shake like It'ssitting on top of a washer at full spin... I look at my amazing vascularity and feel like my arms are like trunks....

Then the rush dies off and i walk home in the incy wincy body i wished i never had.

AriesWarGod
06-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I feel like I just taught all that evil gym equiptment a good hard lesson it won't soon forget!
And SPENT!...And HUNGRY! And all happy inside too, because you just KNOW them muscles have no choice except to grow.

& Mouth waters all the way home too!,...thinking about the delicious plate of chicken or steak that I've now earned & I'm gonna treat myself to.

somedude999
06-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Heavy week leaves me feeling beat up and drained. I usually eat and take a nap afterwards.

The three weeks between heavy weeks don't generally phase me two much.

84warlok
06-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Intense interval cardio days with lifting leave me bordering on sick to my stomach at the end of my workout. This feeling usually goes away as I stretch, afterward. On standard cardio days with heavy lifting, I feel a massive pump but also have the shakes, as well.

pvsampson
06-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I find training as refreshing as changing my tampon.

Heavy or light day?

lolakitten
06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Destroyed is a good word!

Usually a combination of accomplishment, exhaustion, numbness & little brain dead. (I swear my muscles steal glycogen or whatnot from my brain).

An hour or so later I'm SO SLEEPY!

Geoff Richards
06-18-2013, 06:46 PM
i get the sensation of a cool breeze, blowing through my hair & across my looonngg white dress. Ooohhhh, ohhhhhh.

lmao

TouaregV8
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Exhausted and sometimes nauseated, especially after my heavy leg day on Sundays. I have never left the gym feeling like I could have worked harder or done more. I leave it on the table each and every training session and I walk out of the gym soaking wet. I always bring an extra shirt with me so I can change after my training. If you are going to put in the time, why not do it right and push yourself?

Had a killer back workout today, was dripping in sweat after 5 sets of DL's and still had the rest of my workout to get through.

Have you ever looked around your gym and noticed how many people don't even break a sweat during their workout. These are usually the same people whose appearance never changes month after month. Coincidence?

Marius_Ursus
06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Back in the days when I lifting just for the sake of wiping myself out, I felt wiped out. Now after an intense lifting session, I generally feel good, alert, and stronger than when I started.

Danimal
06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Shaky, jelly legs, sometimes nauseous after squat or deadlift day. Bench day, usually not so bad, just my arms feel heavy.

RT1957
06-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Had a great leg workout this morning....I feel great after a hard workout. Oh I had a hard time walking after and during the workout I was seriously hurting...but I always feel good after a hard workout. Makes me feel as though I accomplished something

Brackneyc
06-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I did legs today. I only got 6 reps of 300, but oh well. After that, I went on and am having a great day.

Marius_Ursus
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I did legs today. I only got 6 reps of 300, but oh well. After that, I went on and am having a great day.

Better luck f8cking yourself up next time, dude.

JRT6
06-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I guess I do have a sense of satisfaction after a squat and DL day. I don't like it when it's over because I crush some serious morning anxiety with it. Trying to walk around stiff as a board the rest of the day is a pain in the ass.

scullin
06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Hungry, then after I eat just about dead.This^

LEFKAS
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Push myself so hard I usually puke right after my workouts. Full body routine as well. Can't eat too close to workout or it's even worse.

JRT6
06-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Push myself so hard I usually puke right after my workouts. Full body routine as well. Can't eat too close to workout or it's even worse.

If you puke every workout that's ****ed up, period.

Brackneyc
06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
If you puke every workout that's ****ed up, period.

Nah man, that's baaaad aas.

Brackneyc
06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Better luck f8cking yourself up next time, dude.

I know right, I can still walk and talk. Epic workout fail.

Bo_Flecks
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Hungry...

...and if I don't eat within an hour of finishing my workout, I can become a real asshat.

Corbi
06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Hungry...

...and if I don't eat within an hour of finishing my workout, I can become a real asshat.

What do you mean "become"?:D

Bertydale
06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
If I did it right, Im stoked. After an awesome workout Im exhausted but so excited and pumped I gave it my all and slowly but surly starting to see results!!

beanpole33
06-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Totally destroyed. Unable to walk almost. After a 5x5 routine with squats, bench and straight legged Deadlift I feel good but need to sit down for the evening!
Walking home from the gym is a challenge
My legs don't work very well.
The deadlifts finishing me off at the end.

jmelanson
06-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Usually nauseous and feel like throwing up.

FitnessFan76
06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Totally destroyed. Unable to walk almost. After a 5x5 routine with squats, bench and straight legged Deadlift I feel good but need to sit down for the evening!
Walking home from the gym is a challenge
My legs don't work very well.
The deadlifts finishing me off at the end.

Ah yes, the long walk home from the gym - feels like miles after a session!

noobydooby
06-20-2013, 04:16 AM
im a masochist.. i enjoy the pain. but DOMS aren't as bad, if any at all now, as they were before.

Botika
06-20-2013, 04:19 AM
I'm usually exhausted at the end of my workout, and hungry. Once I have a big meal I get my energy back. I'm pretty tired by the end of the day though. :)

Smelly bull
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
After a heavy workout I am maybe a little uncomfortable and tired, but I haven't in years felt like I couldn't function.

I think is more because of my program,, which is based on a set number of exercises and a set progression. Once I hit those numbers, I am done. I guess I am one that leaves some in the tank, but with steady progressions over a period of time, well, it works for me.

84warlok
06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Today was shoulder day and I must have cheated some form a little bit. Neck is stiff and I have a wicked headache.

LEFKAS
06-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Nah man, that's baaaad aas.

Exactly!

Singe03
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Mentally I'm pretty good, usually very relaxed and pretty happy with life.

Physically, on some days I could just use a little makeup and be an extra on The Walking Dead without having to act. I workout in the morning before work, so the 6 blocks from my parking place to my office feels kind of similar to topping out Mount Elbert on days I squat, otherwise usually just kind of depleted until I get a shake and a small snack in me. Stairs at the office are not happening, in either direction.

Not many issues with DOMs so long as I stick to my program which has me squatting twice a week, adding a third seems to compromise the workouts and if I cut to one day I'm usually sore as hell for 2-3 days and really unhappy with that walk to the office.

Ralikar
06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
This is one of the posts that will cause problems for new people. OP, you understand you're doing a FB 3x/week. If you're doing an "intense" 65-75 min plan it's probably a jumblef$$$ you threw together. Go look at Starting Strength or old school Arnold/Reg... It's not a jumblef$$$ of too much volume and too much intensity. A seasoned lifter/vets here on the posts know their routines and know what they are doing and can guage their plan/recovery. My sig at the bottom will help... New people need to understand recovery/CNS fatigue/fatigue in designing your own plan. If you're doing a FB 3x/week you're in beginner range... I do a FB, heavy compound 3x5 and I have no clue what could take you 75 min to do... You're probably destroying your CNS/recovery with some M/W/F plan with piles of volume/intensity/exercises -- that's why you're having problems.