PDA

View Full Version : 20 Day Holiday Challened Rip Up!

jamesu08
06-16-2013, 11:49 PM
So guys I have set myself a challenge, I go on holiday in 20 days from today so I have set myself the challenge to see how much of a change I can make in my appearance (body fat).

These next 20 days will be very intense will post pictures on day 1 (today), day 10 and day 20 (the last day) from the same location and angel. I will be posting my exact diet, supplements and my training. I will be hitting cardio nearly every day and sometimes twice a day including LIIS and HIIT. I am not going to ignore weight training as that's what I enjoy most but my weight training won't be as long but will still be very intense. The reason why I am going to include cardio on some days twice is because I'm keeping the carbs moderate for the first few days so I want to take advantage of the energy. I will be calling my diet and training plan "phases", not sure how many there will be but will all depend on how I look in the mirror. Anyway down to business....

My stats:
Weight: 180.5lbs
Height: 182cm
Occupation: Work in a Post Office 8:30 am to 5:30pm. In the process of doing a home PT course.
Body Fat* (approx): 10%
(I won't be getting my body fat tested. I will be going by mirror image).

Training Split (Phase 1)

Monday: Chest/ Triceps/ Abs & 30 min LIIS cardio (AM) 20 min HIIT, 30 sec on, 60 sec off (PM)

Tuesday: Legs (including calves) (AM) 30min LIIS Cardio (PM)

Wednesday: Shoulders, Abs & 30min LIIS Cardio (AM), 20 min HIIT, 30 sec on, 60 sec off (PM)

Thursday: back, bicep & 30min LIIS Cardio (AM) Rest (PM)

Friday: Ab Circuit & 30min LIIS Cardio (AM) 20 min HIIT, 30 sec on, 60 sec off (PM)

Saturday: Calves & Full Body Circuit (AM) Rest (PM)

Sunday: 45min LIIS Cardio or Fully body circuit or Rest (depending on how I'm feeling) (AM) Rest (PM)

I wont be posting my workouts until I have 'actually' done them, reason being its only 20 days and I want to run this blog every day, secondly a lot can change each day and I want to note exactly everything down. I also will only be posting exercises, sets and reps, reason being as this is a body conditioning blog not a strength blog

Thanks guys for reading, hopefully you can rep and subscribe and I will try and show what is possible within 20 days :)

jamesu08
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Guys I will post my diet/ supplements and timings tonight and my first picture after my HIIT workout. I do not have time this morning as I start work at 8:30 am. I also weight train starting at 5:30 am because the gym is empty, I miss the busy work hour after work and I don't have to stress about missing a workout or training another body part if the gym is full. And yes my AM weights and cardio are all completed in a fasted state.

Day 1

Alarm went off at 5:00 am, got up, strong black coffee with some stevia, got to the gym just before 5:30 am.

Chest:

Incline Dumbbell Press 4 x 8
Decline Barbell Press 4 x 10
Cable Cross Overs 3 x 12
Flat Dumbbell Fly's 3 x 10
**superset with**
Flat Dumbbell Press (same weight) 3 x 20

Triceps:

Rope Pull Downs 3 x 15
Standing French Press 3 x 10
Reverse Straight Bar Pull Down 3 x 10 (all sets with 1 drop set, approx 10 reps)

Abs (all exercises performed after eachother):
Reverse Crunch x 30
Half Crunch x 30
Rope Cable Crunch x 40
Rest 45 seconds, Repeat Twice.

30 min LIIS Cardio:
Incline Treadmill at 15% Incline, speed of 5.0km. (Approx 350kcals burnt)

Total Workout Time: Just over 90mins.
I like to use the progressive overload training principle (adding weight every set, even if its 1.25kg each side). My rep ranges are between 12 - 8.

Had my post-workout shake straight after cardio and my second post-workout meal/ breakfast just after 7:30 am. Like I said guys I will post my diet later which will include everything (brands of supplements, amounts, timings, macro split, daily calories etc...).

ritchiedrama
06-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Good luck.

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Good luck.

Thank you!

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Half way through day 1, had 3 of my meals so far. Took a picture but can't upload it on my phone.

Been a very busy day at work so far so I'm sure HIIT this evening and work is going to leave me very hungry! But it's mind over matter, I only have 20 days. (Btw I'm not tarting myself. I'm starting on approx 2300kcals. 13 x BW)

Will take some pictures of my meal prep tonight along with my diet plan :)

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 11:18 AM
So guys days 1 nearly over, eating my second to last meal as we speak.

Finished work and got home just after 5:30 pm, had a strong black coffee with some stevia just after 6 and started my HIIT workout at 6:30 pm :). Was going to do my usual static bike 30 seconds sprint, 60 seconds rest/ slow pedal for 20 minutes but I fancied changing it up. Not sure if this is beneficial but I enjoyed it and it actually went quiet quick!

10 Press ups
20 Sit ups
20 BW Squats
10 E/S BW Lunges
80 Jumping Jacks
60 Second Wall Sit

Rest 60 seconds, repeat 3 times.

Took me approx. 18 minutes, was really good and hard. May include this more often!

Will be showing my meal prep later this evening so when I do that I will show my 'Phase 1' diet :).

Here are my pictures for Day 1:

I CANNOT POST PICTURES/LINKS UNTIL I HAVE DONE 50 POSTS, BARE WITH ME GUYS, WILL KEEP POSTING SO I CAN DO THEM TONIGHT, I HAVE TAKEN SOME

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Meal Prep time.... The joys, will post everything after I have done it :)

Nearly up to 50 posts also so I can post usefull links and pictures, :D!!

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
I have done my meal prep for tomorrow guys, normally I would do EVERYTHING apart from my last meal. (breakfast I would weigh out, not cook). But as I have tomorrow off I have made meals, 2,3,4, part of 5 and my post-workout shake.

With my job Meals, 2 and 4 I have to make smoothies because I am not allowed to eat whole foods, so a smoothy is quick and easy to make (what we do to look good). The macros for meal 2, 3 and 4 are exactly the same and as meal 2 and 4 are exactly the same foods I make both together and divide by 2.

My smoothy consists off 45g Whey Protein (chocolate), 40g Oats (Scotts Porridge Oats), 10g Almonds. I chuck all the ingredients into a blender add some stevia, cinnamon and water (I donít like it to thick, remember I double the ingredients) blend for around 5 minutes then put into 2 shakers, normally around 450-500ml in each. Pictures are shown below.

URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/SmoothyMixing.jpg.html]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/SmoothyMixing.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/MixedSmoothy.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/MixedSmoothy.jpg.html)

As I have tomorrow off I am making meal 3 and 4 the same (they are the same macros), because I can eat when I want and I prefer eating whole foods. Me being an idiot I forgot to take the chicken out the freezer this morning so meal 4 has 1 can of tuna (limit tuna cans to 2-3 a week) and 25g of whey to make up the protein. I eat all my veg raw or slightly cooked reason being I prefer it! I cook my yam potatoes in the microwave for around 4-5minutes. Chicken I weigh out raw and butterfly, cook in a frying pan with 2 squeezes of 1kcal spray, I add Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper and Thyme. Trust me you need no sauces in this meal as the chicken tastes amazing. I slowly cook the chicken on medium heat for around 12 minutes, (6 each side). After cooked I dab it with some kitchen towel just to take the excess fat off I donít need. I very rarely add sauces but I have put down the 3 I normally use if I do.

A quick over view of all my meals cooling ready to go in the freezer. For these next few weeks everything is weighed within 5g of the portion sizes I am using with my meal plan. I am taking no stone un turned approach for these 20 days!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/chcikencooked.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/chcikencooked.jpg.html)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/overallprep.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/overallprep.jpg.html)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/sauces.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/sauces.jpg.html)

My Supplement Stack

Maxiraw WPI Inensity Whey Protein (chocolate flavour)
My Protein Dextrose
My Protein Creatine
My Protein L Glutamine
Vitamin D3 2500 iu
Vitamin C 1000mg Tabs
Milk Thistle
Fish Oil 1000mg Capsules
Optimum Nutirition 1000mg BCAA Capsules.

My Diet I have made very precise, splitting proteins even through the day and have 30% of my carbs breakfast and post workout (60%). Here is an over few of my phase 1 diet, moderate carbs, 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% fats. Hitting 13 kcals to bw. (13 x 180 = 2340).

Here are my latest pictures day 1, will take all from same angel
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/87.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/87.jpg.html)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/photo.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/photo.jpg.html)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd361/James_Urquhart/5.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/James_Urquhart/media/5.jpg.html)

jamesu08
06-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Here is my meal plan guys,

Running 13kcal per lb of body weight. 13 x 180 = 2340. 50 P/ 30 C/ 20 F Split.

As you can see I have made it very accurate, clever little program I made on excel, works all the calories out for me as I programmed all foods into the value of per 100gs so it works all the macros out for me with the percentages I put in, tells me how much protein per lb of body weight, same for carbs and fats.

Check it out, feel free to fire any questions at me. I've just had my protein pancakes and its time to hit the pillow and hit legs tomorrow :D.

jamesu08
06-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Leg Day

My leg workout was pretty intense this morning, I still like to go heavy even though I'm trying to cut up. I use the progressive overload training principle (adding weight every set even if its 1kg, will give an example below). So here's my workout...

Barbell Squats 8-10 reps x 5

Leg Press 10-20 reps x 5 (progressive Overload example)
-Set 1 40kg x 20
-Set 2 80kg x 20
-Set 3 120kg x 15
-Set 4 160kg x 12
-Set 5 170kg x 10
note: weights do not include foot pedal, just plates

Giant set (all 12 reps)

Leg extensions
Lying hamstring curl
Walking Lunges

3 sets

Calves
Standing smith machine 18-20 x 3
Standing smith machine 8-10 x 3

note: all sets had 45-60 seconds rest inbetween
Also it wasn't a massively overlong workout but the intensity was extremely high!!

Also my plan was to do 30 minute LIIS cardio tonight but as I checked my phone after the gym I got asked if I could help with a house removal, around 2-3 hours. This will include carrying items up and down steps and into a van, so I will not be preforming cardio tonight.

God help me after leg day :( :( haha

jamesu08
06-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Today was a perfect example of why meal prep was so important. I made all my meals last night even though knowing I didn't have any plans. This morning at 10 I got asked to work and was at work at 11. With my meals all prepped I just chucked them in a cool bag with an ice pack and off I went.

No cardio for me tonight, stairs, leg day and carrying heavy objects and matched that!!

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Just completed my shoulder, abs and cardio workout this morning guys. Cardio was tough... Leg day DOMs are the worst!

Shoulder Workout

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 5 x 10
Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyies 4 x 12
Front Delt Plate Raise 4 x 12
all above 60 seconds rest between sets
Upright Rows
- 1 x 10 wide grip
- 1 x 10 normal grip
- 1 x 10 narrow grip
- 3 drop sets x 12 (1 narrow, 1 normal, 1 wide)
rest 45 seconds between sets

Abs

Reverse crunch x 30
Half sit up x 30
Weighted rope crunch x 40

Repeat twice, 1 minute rest between sets.

Cardio

Incline treadmill at 15% incline, speed 5.0km for 30 minutes.

Time to start work now, 3rd day of the diet so far, everything going well. May include a refeed day this Sunday with a healthy cheat so I'm still hitting my macros. Also next week I am going to include a couple low carb days. But if I'm happy with how I'm looking I won't.

Wankelpt
06-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Really good log.

Keep up the good work.

You will make it :)

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Really good log.

Keep up the good work.

You will make it :)

Thanks mate!

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
I've scheduled a healthy (ish) cheat on my high carb day on Sunday. I will be going to nandos and having either

1/4 chicken
289kcal
47g Protein
10g Fat
2g Carb

or

1/2 chicken
544kcal
73g Protein
23g Fat
3g Carb

Still haven't decided what I'm going to have yet... Normally if I was on a cutting diet normally I would go for the 1/2 but I only have 20 days haha. Also this is my high carb day, I am planning to go away in the day so if I was only to have my breakfast, and this for lunch my 3 last meals would have to be reasonally big and carby :D. Will probably be aiming for 250g-300g but like I said this hasn't been decided yet!

Planned cheat meal and using IIFYM to fit my cheat meal in.

Personally when I'm cutting down I like to try myself to get nurtious foods in instead of something fitting the macros, but thats just me :).

Will post my refeed/cheat day on sunday!

PrinceJontino
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
how many lbs are you trying to lose?

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 09:27 AM
how many lbs are you trying to lose?

To be honest. I haven't set myself a target like that! I know in 20 day you can't do loads but I won't be carb loading or dropping water because when I go on holiday it's going to have a bit of a rebound.

I also don't want to drop to much to quickly, I don't want to chuck the hard work which has been put into the gym. If I was competing I would set myself a more accurate weight/bf target but I will be going my mirror shot.

Just trying to prove what you can do in 20 days and me making this forum will help keep me motivated :)

PrinceJontino
06-19-2013, 10:04 AM
i see, well post up the end weight loss at the end brah!

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
i see, well post up the end weight loss at the end brah!

Will do mate. :)

chocolatemixer
06-19-2013, 03:04 PM
subbed. Want to see how you get on. Uk brah checking in.

Good luck man.

davidolson22
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Good luck. I figure you might be able to lose 3-6 pounds of fat, (6 if you go nuts.)

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
subbed. Want to see how you get on. Uk brah checking in.

Good luck man.

Thanks buddy. Everything will be posted!

Good luck. I figure you might be able to lose 3-6 pounds of fat, (6 if you go nuts.)

Yeah, I'm putting the effort in, but if after week 1 I have lost to much weight I will take the cardio down a notch. I don't want to lose any muscle and would rather hold a bit more fat than lose 2lb of muscle.

Will have a weigh in Monday morning but that will be after my higher carb day (only 250-300) so actually ill do it Sunday and Monday morning :)

jamesu08
06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
So today was my back, bicep and cardio workout!

The alarm went off at 5:00 am and I will admit it was a struggle to get out but I set a motivational wallpaper on my phone and that soon sorted it out!

Today's workout was a little rushed, just over 90 mins but I still got what I wanted to do in. It was quiet a high volume workout today compaired to loads of exercises.

I used the same training principle adding weight every set for back but biceps I kept the same weight and made sure I really squeezed at the top and had my elbows tucked in.

note: rest time between sets 60 seconds

Back

Lat pull downs 5 x 8-10
Deadlifts 5 x 8-10
Single arm machine row 3 x 10-12
**superset with**
Straight arm pull downs 3 x 10-12

Biceps

Straight barbell curls 5 x 10
Dumbbell hammer curls 5 x 10

Cardio

Incline treadmill at 15% incline, speed 5.0km for 30 minutes.

(currently half way through haha)

Reason why I'm a big fan of the incline treadmill is for many reasons which I will state below...

- You keep a consistent speed a lot easier than you would on the bike.
- With the speed staying consistent I can go on my iPhone, check emails, update this blog. Makes time go a lot faster and I don't have to fear about slowing down like I would on the bike.
- I personally enjoy performing incline treadmill.
- I feel I get a good calves workout when doing it.

Anyway that's my first post today guys, will have my post-workout shake in around 10 minutes, get home, shower and get ready for work, eat then I'm out the door with my cool bag!

jamesu08
06-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Guys decided I'm going to change my workout split next week! I want to work each body single as much as I can so I will train chest/ biceps & back / triceps :).

Also I noticed I put my weight wrong at the start as its no 180lbs, I was 83.5kg (morning weight) which is 183.7lbs! I do apologise! It must of been a mathematical error as I swear I x it by 2.2 haha!

jamesu08
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi guys,

Tomorrow is suppose to be abs (30-40 minutes) and LISS cardio for 30 minutes but I was inspired by one of Luke Hasletts tweets. (He's currently in contest prep and doing NO CARDIO).

Luke gave a weight suggesting about getting heart rate up with weights so tomorrow I will be doing my usual abs routine followed by

10 x 10 (GVT) squats performed at 2 1 1 1 tempo with 30 second rest intervals. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I love squats so I'm during to try this. Plus working legs are great fat burners!

Alarm set for 5am... Good night guys!

jamesu08
06-20-2013, 11:37 PM
So guys did an ab circuit this morning which took around 40-45 minutes and then instead of cardio I tried GVT (German volume training) squats with 30 seconds rest... WOW!! It certainly got my heart rate up!

Abs

Hanging knee raises 10 x 5
Incline weighted crunch 10 x 5
Oblique cable twists 12 x 5 ES
Side bends 12 x 5 ES (this set was performed with no rest, just left side, right side until I hit x 5 ES)
Weighted rope crunch (heavy) 8-10 x 5
note: all above max 30 seconds rest between sets
Plank 1 minute x 5 (20 seconds rest between sets)

GVT Squats

Squats 10 x 10 (30 seconds rest between sets)

I really enjoyed the GVT and was a lot quicker than doing LISS cardio. I think I will include this in my workout split from now on swapping with GVT Deadlifts as well but yes I will still include some LISS cardio.

Meals were all prepped last night and have all been packed ready for work. I now have 30 minutes to chill before work which is quiet nice! Will be working out a new split for next week tonight and also I may adjust my meals a little but I shall see! Carb day this Sunday guys :D haha.

jamesu08
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
The GVT finisher has certainly made me feel very lethargic today but was good!

Because I can't train Sunday I am hitting 2 sessions tomorrow, weight body work in the morning and biceps and triceps in the evening!

celtic723
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Any chance you can post more meal pictures?

If not it's cool just interested to see them is all. Keep it up!

jamesu08
06-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Any chance you can post more meal pictures?

If not it's cool just interested to see them is all. Keep it up!

I have followed the same diet all week and I will have the same meals tomorrow. I will be having a high carb day and a healthy (ish) cheat using IIFYM principle to fit it in. The cheat will be Nandos butterfly 1/2 chicken :) so I will post them all Sunday evening!

jamesu08
06-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Woke up this morning and my legs were to saw to do any body workout (not a bad pain) but would of just ruined me so I haven't done the all over body workout.

This is my routine for later this afternoon so will only be 1 workout today instead of two.

Biceps, Triceps, Calves and Traps

Biceps

Straight barbell curls 4 x 6-10
Hammer curls 4 x 6-10

Triceps

Rope pull downs 4 x 6-10
Overhead dumbbell extension 4 x 8-12

Calves

Standing smith machine 3 x 15-20
Standing smith machine 3 x 6-10

Traps

Machine shrugs 4 x 6-10
Dumbbell shrugs 4 x 12-15

note: rest periods are all 60 seconds

That's my workout today guys, carb day tomorrow :D!