PDA

View Full Version : The reasoning behind a sport having a SERIES

RonPaul2012
06-16-2013, 09:16 PM
someone pls sell me on this entire 'series' concept the NBA, Hockey, and baseball have etc.

Its all money, ratings, advertisements etc. That is how I see it. Damn a freaking FINAL lasts like a month wtf lol

NFL does it right with the Super Bowl
Soccer doesn't have this series concept either

its cuz it makes no sense and its stoopid lol

bertishere
06-16-2013, 09:21 PM
finals last just a little over 2 weeks if it goes to 7 games.

but yes, coms down to $$$$

RonPaul2012
06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
finals last just a little over 2 weeks if it goes to 7 games.

but yes, coms down to $$$$

first reply agrees

o lawd rep on rc

AmazinJason
06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
the nfl can't have a series cuz it would take too long.

one game doesn't determine much in basketball, hockey, and baseball, which is why they have series. ESPECIALLY in baseball. way too much variation in performance from game to game, even by the best players.

Spill512
06-16-2013, 09:23 PM
There's a higher chance of the best team winning in a longer series. Even the worst team has a chance to win 1 game.

Bulkytheboot
06-16-2013, 09:23 PM
its suppose to lower variance but in reality its for $

niknguyen
06-16-2013, 09:24 PM
There's a higher chance of the best team winning in a longer series. Even the worst team has a chance to win 1 game.

This. And if you noticed, nba,mlb,nhl all play multiple games a week. Imagine a series in the nfl.

1month minimum for a best of 7

Negatron617
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
yea its money

rather watch my team go for 4 wins than suffer 1 questionable loss and be done

BullStampede
06-16-2013, 09:26 PM
with one game, anything can happen unfortunately. A team can get hot and win it all, even though they arent the best team in the league. The 9-7 Giants come to mind. They werent a bad team by any means, but the best team in football? Please.

FGCHENG
06-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Besides money, it could also be how intense and physical the sport is. There's a reason why there are only 16 NFL regular season games compared to 82 NBA regular season games, and 100+ MLB games a year.

A series is also a better representation of who the better team is than a win or go home game.

isp
06-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Any team can win one game with some luck.

A 7 game series should award the better team with the trophy more often than not.

RonPaul2012
its suppose to lower variance but in reality its for $

yep follow that green

lol @ppl crying about their team losing in 1 game...if your team loses THEY LOSE. Don't matter how it happened, its a game lol.

Spill512
NBA is a star driven league. Having a 1 game series means a new team would win like every year. It would ruin the NBA marketing scheme.

RonPaul2012
06-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Besides money, it could also be how intense and physical the sport is. There's a reason why there are only 16 NFL regular season games compared to 82 NBA regular season games, and 100+ MLB games a year.

A series is also a better representation of who the better team is than a win or go home game.

more like a better representation of how hard a team of player tries more in one game than another lol.

Phaze2
06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Money > quality

a shame and goodell wants more nfl games to turn into the piece of sht NBA

RonPaul2012
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Money > quality

a shame and goodell wants more nfl games to turn into the piece of sht NBA

yea I still don't understand how they can have so many games in a NBA season

Future24
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Soccer's concept determines the BEST team that season. A playoff system like MLB and NHL its usually whoever gets hot at that time. NBA is pretty easy to measure who is the best because there are 4 good teams.

CCAurora
06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Football is far more grueling physically. A series is a more proportionate reflection of the season for the NBA and NHL.

Shortstop36
06-16-2013, 09:38 PM
My high school baseball team was 15-1 during the season, and our one loss was in extra innings by one run. We lost during the quarterfinals of the state playoffs....... The pitcher pitched the best he'll ever pitch, we would have beat them 9 times out of 10.

A series assures that the best team at that point won, because any team could get lucky in a one game playoff

Amaso
06-16-2013, 09:38 PM
brb your star player gets 2 fouls early in the 1st, both of which are bad calls and you lose the game

RonPaul2012
06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
I think this thread reassures the OP lol

basically:

series are for poosys

amiright?

?

ajn
06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
yep follow that green

lol @ppl crying about their team losing in 1 game...if your team loses THEY LOSE. Don't matter how it happened, its a game lol.
that's not what the NBA, MLB, and NHL are about though.

the NFL and March Madness, are focused on the tournament aspect of sports. the "anyone can win on any given night" is the draw.

the NBA, MLB, and NHL are focused on crowning the best team in the league, that's what draws people, the fact that the team that wins the championship actually fought for it and proved themselves over a series. that's what made great teams like the Celtics, Yankees, Lakers, 90s Bulls etc great. they were proving time and time again that they were the best teams.

Upshall18
06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
This. And if you noticed, nba,mlb,nhl all play multiple games a week. Imagine a series in the nfl.

1month minimum for a best of 7

hnnnng almost 2 months if a series goes to game 7. Seasons would last 2 years....first year for regular season and the second year for the playoffs. Goodell get on it!

Nara62629
06-16-2013, 10:19 PM
the nfl can't have a series cuz it would take too long.

one game doesn't determine much in basketball, hockey, and baseball, which is why they have series. ESPECIALLY in baseball. way too much variation in performance from game to game, even by the best players.
also, cuz the players would probably die.

CanardLaque
06-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Series are for money obviously..however I think they should shortened them..

either a 3 game series or 5.

cor030
06-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Don't really follow hockey enough to comment on that.

The entire baseball regular season is based on series'. That's why the postseason is based on series(and also why a one game play in is absurd). Given pitching rotations it also makes sense to have the postseason series based.

NBA postseason is way too drawn out though and IMO they could get by with 5 game series'.

NFL is just too physical of a sport to add games though.

Negatron617
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
more like a better representation of how hard a team of player tries more in one game than another lol.

right.

like luck and refereeing doesnt play a huge part.

youre coming off as real dense right now.

do your thing.

skarms
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
It's obviously for money but it works for NBA/NHL/MLB because there's some variance involved.

Machuka
06-16-2013, 10:51 PM
the NBA should follow the MLB and have 5 game series at the beginning of playoffs. NBA playoffs have been taking TV time for like 3 months it feels like

also, soccer does have legs a 'series' of 2 games determined by the amount of goals scored with extra consideration to goals scored as the away team.

CaptainGorgeous
06-16-2013, 10:54 PM
True, but I think the higher possibility of upsets makes it more fun to watch. Generally, I enjoy watching NBA games more than college games, but March Madness is way more exciting than NBA playoffs.

EastCoastNiner
06-16-2013, 11:02 PM
It's not just about money if you're talking about the playoffs.

In the NHL, NBA, and MLB, you're playing at LEAST 82 regular reason games (assuming it's a full season), so being eliminated from playoff contention for having one poor game after playing many games during the season is flat out dumb.

I'd rather not have these great sports go full ****ing retard like soccer and crown a champion based on a regular season record.

No thanks, Jeff.

EvilChicken
06-16-2013, 11:03 PM
I think at least only the conference finals and the finals should last 7 games. The first round and conference semi finals should be best out of 5 imo. But yeah it comes down to money.

ajn
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
the early rounds of the NBA playoffs used to be 5 games. but then..

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/09/22/0921-david-stern-ex-getty.jpg

longfellowdeeds
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
nfl cant have a series because its too much for the body to handle. bball and hockey are a bit different when it comes to contact

IMO NBA should be like 40-50 games. Playoffs @ 5 game series or 7 I guess.

tottsBALEout
06-17-2013, 01:35 AM
It's not just about money if you're talking about the playoffs.

In the NHL, NBA, and MLB, you're playing at LEAST 82 regular reason games (assuming it's a full season), so being eliminated from playoff contention for having one poor game after playing many games during the season is flat out dumb.

I'd rather not have these great sports go full ****ing retard like soccer and crown a champion based on a regular season record.

No thanks, Jeff.

Soccer's way is not full retard at all. In fact it is a much clearer way of determining the best team. Stupid playing a long ass season to knock off a few teams and then basically start another. Try being objective.

Machuka
06-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Soccer's way is not full retard at all. In fact it is a much clearer way of determining the best team. Stupid playing a long ass season to knock off a few teams and then basically start another. Try being objective.

not to mention all teams, at least in European leagues, play in a season and a tournament/cup (which is like playoffs)

so you can win for having the best record and then you can win for winning the cup

a lot of times the same team doesn't win both, so it covers both problems

Aussiebrah66
06-17-2013, 06:36 AM
lol'd thinking of an NFL best of 7 series brb game 6 using 4th string qb hahahaha

SpartacusNYC
06-17-2013, 06:55 AM
So I guess you think baseball and basketball were playing series long before TV was a factor for "TV money"?

CCAurora
06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
So I guess you think baseball and basketball were playing series long before TV was a factor for "TV money"?

The Illuminati runs sports, brah. This is much more important than the government turning on us - hypothetical corruption in television.

Like people said, sports with more regular season games need more playoff games to accurately reflect who the better team is in the context of those sports.

BenadrylBandit
06-17-2013, 11:06 AM
brb having a 162/82 game season come down to one game to determine who the best is.

No thanks Jeff. There's enough excuses as is.

RonPaul2012
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
the early rounds of the NBA playoffs used to be 5 games. but then..

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/09/22/0921-david-stern-ex-getty.jpg

oh didn't even know they use to be 5 games...

bigfootsilva
06-17-2013, 11:18 AM
even if it is because of money why are people talking like this is a bad thing? everybody wins including us the fans