PDA

View Full Version : Legs Just Stopped Working!

stealth4479
06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Got a little freaked out last night. Did a heavy leg workout yesterday and by that evening I could barely walk. Not like a DOMS sore the muscles literally would not fire and I would take a couple of steps and legs would just give out and I'd hit the floor like a sack of potatoes! would sit on the edge of the couch and try to extend legs up and the left side wouldn't come up at all. What the hell is this??

stealth4479
06-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Got a little freaked out last night. Did a heavy leg workout yesterday and by that evening I could barely walk. Not like a DOMS sore the muscles literally would not fire and I would take a couple of steps and legs would just give out and I'd hit the floor like a sack of potatoes! would sit on the edge of the couch and try to extend legs up and the left side wouldn't come up at all. What the hell is this??

Oh and went to bed and by about 2am the muscles were finally firing.

stealth4479
06-15-2013, 11:59 AM
No ideas what the heck happened?

paolo59
06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Brother, I don't have a clue. But it does sound disconcerting. How are the legs today?

stealth4479
06-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Brother, I don't have a clue. But it does sound disconcerting. How are the legs today?

They are just the normal sore that you would expect after workout. Got some bruising from my legs going out and me dropping like a hammer and I rolled my ankle when legs went out once. Thought I broke the damn thing. Have never seen or heard of anything like this. It was like the ability to contract your muscles was gone no matter how hard you tried! The VMO was the main muscle that was offline! Wife was freaking out.

mmderry
06-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Low potassium levels can cause that problem. But, unless you ate a banana or something, how would they have corrected? :)

ArchAngel'73
06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
LOL
That's why I call them "lugs" after training them.
Relax, I get this too, it's nothing bad, they're just exhausted.

Developed my own new walking technique to for these moments;

Lead your walking with your hip...throwing your leg in front of you...as it extends and your foot hits the ground focus on the knee joint holding it together...the stepping motion is accomplished by focussing on your ankle joint
Repeat
At this point your joints will be the most stable, the muscles jelly, so I focus on "lugging" my legs around by using those joints and not the muscles.

paolo59
06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
They are just the normal sore that you would expect after workout. Got some bruising from my legs going out and me dropping like a hammer and I rolled my ankle when legs went out once. Thought I broke the damn thing. Have never seen or heard of anything like this. It was like the ability to contract your muscles was gone no matter how hard you tried! The VMO was the main muscle that was offline! Wife was freaking out.

I've never had quite what you described. But I have, after a hard leg workout, walked down a step, and as my knee bent, I just fell down. LOL Legs just went. You sort of look around the parking lot to see if anyone was watching. Looked like a drunk stumbling around! :)

derekwalter
06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
That's crazy! Sure you didn't have a minor stroke or TIA?

Doctors checkup might be a good call.

johntubman1
11-21-2014, 02:40 AM

I had this happen to me tonight. I finished a very moderate leg workout after not training for about a year. I fell at home but I was getting up out of a chair and didn't think anything of it.
I work 3rd shift and fell in the parking lot. I was UNABLE to get up!! I had to be helped up. I fell 3 more times and had to leave work. I've done some moderately heavy widowmakers before and I've NEVER had this happen!!! For me, it was a portion of the quad muscle. I too, could not extend my leg out and lock my knee while sitting in a chair. It simply wouldn't move past a certain point.
I don't have any real pain or soreness yet. I'll gladly take those tomorrow and not have to worry about falling down and looking like an idiot!!!

Brackneyc
11-21-2014, 02:45 AM
I clearly need to train harder. I am able to walk after every workout. Sure I get some doms, but my legs fire pretty much normal after a good leg day.

Smelly bull
11-21-2014, 05:40 AM
I clearly need to train harder. I am able to walk after every workout. Sure I get some doms, but my legs fire pretty much normal after a good leg day.

If you decide to do this, get yourself a "Clapper" so you can cal for help when have fallen down!

grubman
11-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Did a heavy leg workout yesterday

It's funny this thread came up today, because I also did a heavy (weight) leg workout yesterday.

I upped my leg press by 20 lbs (instead of the normal 10lb. progression) and really pushed them out. I was extra motivated for some reason and managed to get out 1 or 2 solid reps extra on each set than I "normally" would. My body was saying, "OK, that's the last rep", but my mind was saying, one more, one more...and the body was doing what the mind was telling it. I left the gym saying, "Wow...I really have a lot more in me than I thought when it comes to leg training, I should do this every workout!"

...then the pain came (in the quads). Like you said, it was a different kind of pain. Not really "bad" like a pulled muscle or tear, but a sort of extremely fatigued type pain. I walk for a living, so I didn't have the luxury of taking it easy the rest of the day, which is probably good because if I sat down they would have probably tightened up and hurt much more than they do today...but each step was like lifting a sack of bricks tied to my leg.

Part of me is thinking, if I can work out legs this hard I should do it every workout...and part of me is saying, man, you overdid it in a BAD way! Stimulate the muscle don't annihilate it!

And it wasn't fatigue from volume, it was from tapping into an "abnormal level" of intensity. My entire workout was 14 sets: Leg Press 5 x 8, Leg Curls 5 x 8, Donkey Calf Raises 4 x 12

So, IMHO, I would guess you are experiencing the same thing as me...you simply overdid it (which probably isn't a bad thing on occasion). What was your workout?

ironwill2008
11-21-2014, 06:56 AM
I had this happen to me tonight. I finished a very moderate leg workout after not training for about a year. I fell at home but I was getting up out of a chair and didn't think anything of it.
I work 3rd shift and fell in the parking lot. I was UNABLE to get up!! I had to be helped up. I fell 3 more times and had to leave work. I've done some moderately heavy widowmakers before and I've NEVER had this happen!!! For me, it was a portion of the quad muscle. I too, could not extend my leg out and lock my knee while sitting in a chair. It simply wouldn't move past a certain point.
I don't have any real pain or soreness yet. I'll gladly take those tomorrow and not have to worry about falling down and looking like an idiot!!!

This is not at all normal. I'm not a doc, so I won't assume to diagnose you, but you need to see your doctor, and then possibly get a referral to a Neurologist.

bodyhard
11-21-2014, 07:20 AM
No matter how hard you train, how much muscle soreness you get the following day or the two day lag which is when DOMS hit the worst, no way in hell should you ever NOT feel your legs, or not have the ability to walk to the point of falling down.

If this truly happened to you, you have some kind of condition and you should see a doctor.

Overload
11-21-2014, 07:24 AM
I agree with BH, you should never not be able to stand and I've had some serious leg DOMS where walking down stairs took a lot of effort. You could have some compressed nerves or something and if you continue there's the possibility of further damage. Getting it checked out is something to consider for at least peace of mind.

johntubman1
11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
I agree with BH, you should never not be able to stand and I've had some serious leg DOMS where walking down stairs took a lot of effort. You could have some compressed nerves or something and if you continue there's the possibility of further damage. Getting it checked out is something to consider for at least peace of mind.

I'm "fine" today. SORE, but fine. The best thing I can equate it to is having a KILLER upperbody workout and barely being able to put on deodorant or wash your hair or dry your hair with a towel. That's just moving your arms. My quads are carrying my 275 pound ass. I've never had it happen in my legs, but they were just beyond exhausted.
I can get around fine today, just sore.