PDA

View Full Version : About T-bar rows and Lat Pulldowns. Please read. Thanks

Faiski
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Does doing T-bar rows and Lat Pulldowns help you increase chin ups. If currently i can only do 1 chins. If like i do t-bar rows, and lat pulldowns in the same workout for 3 days a week (By the way, doing full bodypart at 3 sets of 10, cause im too skinny, the strength coach told me to add mass before doing strength routine), for like 3 months. How much does my chins increase? And of course i'll be doing bicep curls. ;)

And another question. If i use rubber band on my knee, and do chin ups, does it help you increase ur chins. I really am obsessed with chins, My goal is to get 15 chins.
And btw i'm complete beginner, so i hope i really rapidly gain strength to do 15 chins.

Richie71
06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
All yesses. Except the idea about adding mass before strength, which seems an odd idea, at least to me.

Marius_Ursus
06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
OK, I read.

What did I win?

Just kidding.

I didn't really read it. (srs)

Partyrocking
06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
If you want to get better at doing chin-ups, do chin-ups. If you can only do 1, do multiple sets of 1 until you can do 2, and then keep building up.

Faiski
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
All yesses. Except the idea about adding mass before strength, which seems an odd idea, at least to me.

Well he said somehting like this, If someones skinny, and trying to do heavy, his only stretching his joints or somehting like that. He told me to stick 3 months with a routine of 3 sets of 10's of full body part that he has a routine for beginners, and he actually doesn't suggest me to do squats or deadlifts, i don't do deadlifts currently at all, and instead of squats his telling me to do leg press.

But i think his right tho, i'm really really skinny. I cant even bench with 2,5kg in the sides. So i think ill follow his routine for 3 months.

icedemon
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
As Partyrocking said, to increase chinups, do chinups. The bands idea sounds good. When coming down, go slow. I'm not sure either why your coach told you to add mass before strength? I guess at 6' 1" and only 140 lbs, he wants to get some weight on you.

Marius_Ursus
06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Well he said somehting like this, If someones skinny, and trying to do heavy, his only stretching his joints or somehting like that. He told me to stick 3 months with a routine of 3 sets of 10's of full body part that he has a routine for beginners, and he actually doesn't suggest me to do squats or deadlifts, i don't do deadlifts currently at all, and instead of squats his telling me to do leg press.

But i think his right tho, i'm really really skinny. I cant even bench with 2,5kg in the sides. So i think ill follow his routine for 3 months.

OK, you're a kid, and I used to know next to nothing, too, so I'm going to give you a serious answer here.

Get far away from the person giving you that "stretching your joints" information and read some serious basic strength training material like you'll find by Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe, and Dan John.

TouaregV8
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Well he said somehting like this, If someones skinny, and trying to do heavy, his only stretching his joints or somehting like that.

What?

As others have said, to increase your chins, do chins. These should be a staple in your back workout.

Any strength coach that advises a beginner against squat and deadlifts doesn't know what he's talking about. You should be focusing on compound movements to add size and strength. At your age nutrition is most important. You need to eat calorie dense foods, lots of them.

-=FLEX=-
06-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Does doing T-bar rows and Lat Pulldowns help you increase chin ups. If currently i can only do 1 chins. If like i do t-bar rows, and lat pulldowns in the same workout for 3 days a week (By the way, doing full bodypart at 3 sets of 10, cause im too skinny, the strength coach told me to add mass before doing strength routine), for like 3 months. How much does my chins increase? And of course i'll be doing bicep curls. ;)

And another question. If i use rubber band on my knee, and do chin ups, does it help you increase ur chins. I really am obsessed with chins, My goal is to get 15 chins.
And btw i'm complete beginner, so i hope i really rapidly gain strength to do 15 chins.

Why are you posting this here?

Teen forum --------------->

Exercise Forum ----------->

Faiski
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
OK, you're a kid, and I used to know next to nothing, too, so I'm going to give you a serious answer here.

Get far away from the person giving you that "stretching your joints" information and read some serious basic strength training material like you'll find by Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe, and Dan John.

His the owner of the gym, but i can tell him that i wanna do other routine. And he'll agree.
But is it wise to do squat and deadlifts as a total beginner, I have the mobility to do them, but the gym owner seems he knows lots of things.
And adding 2,5kg per session, in strength routines seems alot. If i cant even bench 25kg. [20kg = barbell] [5kg weight].
But it seems you have alot of posts and reps, so i'll trust you. But i really hope i won't injure myself :(. Im very weak

Faiski
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Teens doesn't help, The 35+, really helps have alot of knowledge.

KennyWheels
06-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Teens doesn't help, The 35+, really helps have alot of knowledge.

i can see your logic, but in this case, not true

there are some very advanced lifters there for the age group who for sure can help you and know what they are doing

Whiskeyjack
06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
I think you need to do chins. Sets of 1 rep if need be, accentuating as slow a lowering (negatives) as possible. Then you'll get 2, repeat. If you beaver away at it, you will get it. Also 1-2 sets of the other back exercises, 8 reps each, will help.

lolakitten
06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
First of all. Do pullups.
Second. Do pullups to get better at pullups.
The other stuff - afterwards.

icedemon
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure what to make of your coach. You need to do compound exercises to gain mass and strength. Compound exercises like the bench press, deadlifts, squats, etc should be the foundation of most if not all of your routines. Especially if your very weak and are a beginner. Just don't use more weight then you can handle with proper form.

Also, you don't have to add on 2.5 kg every session. Just workup to a certain amount of reps, once you reach those reps, add on 1 kg or 2.5 kg. You'll find yourself gaining strength fast and more then likely adding 2.5 kg per week as a beginner.

cgc
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Maybe one of the other mods will move this....but I'm not....I didn't see an issue with him trying to find more advanced/mature lifters for advice. Like someone else said, I think he sold the teen section a little short and may have missed the Exercise forum (for whatever reason).
But if he was trolling or being a PITA I'd close it or move it. Eh, I've seen others post in here who are not over 35 with no issues and he's asking a question relevant to new lifters over 35 as well.

Don't see an overall issue, really.

-=FLEX=-
06-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Maybe one of the other mods will move this....but I'm not....I didn't see an issue with him trying to find more advanced/mature lifters for advice. Like someone else said, I think he sold the teen section a little short and may have missed the Exercise forum (for whatever reason).
But if he was trolling or being a PITA I'd close it or move it. Eh, I've seen others post in here who are not over 35 with no issues and he's asking a question relevant to new lifters over 35 as well.

Don't see an overall issue, really.

Well isn't that what the Exercise forum is for?

Just noticed lately a helluva lot of tweens posting in here and I don't want to see this section go the way of the fem misc.

Corbi
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Does doing T-bar rows and Lat Pulldowns help you increase chin ups.

My own personal opinion with no science backing it up other than what I experienced is those 2 lifts won't do a damn thing for your chin ups. Once I started doing more compound lifts and getting stronger overall and then chipping away at chins in between sets is when I actually started to be able to knock them out. Still not a champion of them but have no issues with doing sets of 10.

cgc
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Well isn't that what the Exercise forum is for?

Just noticed lately a helluva lot of tweens posting in here and I don't want to see this section go the way of the fem misc.

I agree, that's what the exercise section is for...but I've seen similar threads made by 35+ and they're not be an issue.

If the tweens become a problem I have a feeling there are enough people here to report the issues.

Also....you're not a female, how do you know of issues over in the female misc? ;)

-=FLEX=-
06-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Also....you're not a female, how do you know of issues over in the female misc? ;)

My significant other is a member of the forums. She's made comments to me.

poundXpound
06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
OP, like others have said, to get better at chins, do chins (with assist, if possible). I started last year with an assist machine set at 118 lb of assist. My last workout I was down to 18.5 lb assist. Soon, I'll be at bodyweight reps and then the goal will be to do them weighted. Like anything else it takes consistency and committment.

doughnutgut
06-14-2013, 04:44 PM
My first small goal was to achieve 1 wide grip pull up as well as other small things. I at first was unable to hang on the bar for too long.

I grabbed a bench and got into the top chin position and slowly lowered myself down for roughly 5 reps each time i went training.

After around 4 weeks i was able to do a chin up (be it a bit front leg raised) but i achieved my goal.

negatives are a great way of strengthening imho. I am now wide gripping and chuffed to bits with progress.

Keep on practising... Good luck wee lad.

Just hope as i bulk i am still able to do them.

socket
06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
chin ups and pull ups assisted will do the trick. Also do these:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/underhand-cable-pulldowns