PDA

View Full Version : From NFL Combined Record to AFL Free Agent

Dihydrotestoste
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Do you think that if someone could set an NFL combine record record for the 225 max rep BP, he could get an agent and try out with an AFL team?

Brbsquattin
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Combined record

Also I hope you're just trolling and really not that stupid, but how is benching alone going to determine someone's football talent? I can bench 225 more than a lot of players do at the combine does that mean I should be a football player?

Jaccogo
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Do you think that if someone could set an NFL combined record for the 225 max rep BP, he could get an agent and try out with an AFL team?
what is impressive about high 225 max rep BP records in the NFL combine is that that person is also a talented athlete. To be talented in football and have great strength is what will get you a try out. If all of america could bench for the combine, the record wouldn't be close to what you could break.

BenadrylBandit
06-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Scott Mendelson could probably put up 225 well over 100x and he wouldn't stand a chance in any sort of football.

Dihydrotestoste
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Scott Mendelson could probably put up 225 well over 100x and he wouldn't stand a chance in any sort of football.

That is true, but he is probably not very fast. I mean for someone who is a RB, CB, or FS. Small but strong.

Calhexas
06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
what is impressive about high 225 max rep BP records in the NFL combine is that that person is also a talented athlete. To be talented in football and have great strength is what will get you a try out. If all of america could bench for the combine, the record wouldn't be close to what you could break.

The problem is people who assume repping out 225 a bunch of times = strength

Most useless test in the entire combine. So many adjustments they could do to make it a much more valid test of both power AND endurance.

Brbsquattin
06-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Most useless test in the entire combine. So many adjustments they could do to make it a much more valid test of both power AND endurance.

Agreed. Should be a 1RM, or even a squat + bench 1RM.

Dihydrotestoste
06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Combined record

Also I hope you're just trolling and really not that stupid, but how is benching alone going to determine someone's football talent? I can bench 225 more than a lot of players do at the combine does that mean I should be a football player?

If you are on a lot of datder celltech I would not be surprised. Datder celltech mostly helps with BP. I am taking about someone who is natural and has a much better squat and deadlift than BP.

Brbsquattin
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
If you are on a lot of datder celltech I would not be surprised. Datder celltech mostly helps with BP. I am taking about someone who is natural and has a much better squat and deadlift than BP.

Negged for stupidity.

HumptyBrah
06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
lol @ bench. Bench press max is like horsepower - doesn't mean shiit but it's the number everyone focuses on.

LiftLaughLust
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Clive could curl 225 well over 100x and he'd be a football god

Calhexas
06-14-2013, 01:33 PM

No should be reps at a moderate weight with a tendo unit attached so we can see max power output and how long that output can be sustained.

Problem solved.

No need for squat. Vert and Broad Jump already measure lower body power just fine.

Brbsquattin
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
No should be reps at a moderate weight with a tendo unit attached so we can see max power output and how long that output can be sustained.

Problem solved.

No need for squat. Vert and Broad Jump already measure lower body power just fine.

Then should they use different weight for different positions? Because while 225 is light for linemen and linebackers it can be moderate to heavy for wideouts, corners, running backs, etc

Calhexas
06-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Then should they use different weight for different positions? Because while 225 is light for linemen and linebackers it can be moderate to heavy for wideouts, corners, running backs, etc

They can have their pick of 185, 225, or 275.

tcrack1
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Interesting idea here, dont see it happening

Calhexas
06-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Interesting idea here, dont see it happening

It will never happen because traditional wisdom will win out. That and coaches/scouts are looking more and more at the field drills

FlabbyAndSick
06-14-2013, 04:00 PM
From an NFL herp derp to an AFL derp herp

roodyghey
06-14-2013, 05:22 PM

lol squat is more useless than bench in determining power in football. retard sheep miscer "herp derp squat deadlift do u even legs herp derp"

Dihydrotestoste
06-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you to disappoint me. I'll just go back to weighted chinning. I'm much better at it, and I never really liked BP anyway.

Brbsquattin
06-14-2013, 07:47 PM
lol squat is more useless than bench in determining power in football. retard sheep miscer "herp derp squat deadlift do u even legs herp derp"

Lmao. Not sure if troll or just retard.
Leg strength/power has nothing to do with football. Squats aren't one of the main focuses of every football strength program. Ok.

Dihydrotestoste
06-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Lmao. Not sure if troll or just retard.
Leg strength/power has nothing to do with football. Squats aren't one of the main focuses of every football strength program. Ok.

Thanks you. Now I see clearly that Don Nottingham and Earl Campbell's big thighs had nothing to do with their athletic abilities. I though there for a while that Earl Campbell's Cutler/Coleman size thighs would have contributed something. I guess not.

Jaccogo
06-14-2013, 09:07 PM

holy **** no one is judging their strenght off of reps of 225

it simply gives the evaluator an IDEA of the athlete's strength and dedication to the weight room. Squat is possible but thats harder to regulate and bench works the same. No one is saying the guy who did 35 reps is considerably stronger than the guy who did 30. PEople ARE saying though that the guy who did 20 is weaker than 35 and that is fine.