PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Calorie Deficit

sourmash1973
06-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Is it ever wise to do a large deficit like this? I'm almost 40 (in July) and it seems my metabolism has slowed to a point to where I'm only losing about 1/2 Lb a week (after the initial water weight drop) and I'm being very strict in that I never go over my calories for the day. Right now I'm eating 20% less than my TDEE. I'm happy with any fat loss but would like to speed it up a little. Below are my stats and my routine.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 219.6 (this morning)
Waist: 36 pants (need to get a new tape)
BF% (estimate): 23%

Current Calories: 2300 a day
40% Carbs
30% Fat
30% Protein (1g per Lb of LBM)

Monday: Weights
Tuesday: HIIT
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: HIIT
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Weights
Sunday: Distance Run

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

ironwill2008
06-14-2013, 05:36 AM
For someone your size, a weight loss of up to 2 pounds per week would probably be okay, as long as you're training hard and heavy to help maintain muscle mass.

Adjust your calories/macros to see that rate of loss, however much of a deficit that might be.

drudixon
06-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Like bill said you'll have to tinker with it. I personally don't use tdee. That number changes daily. I use rmr then go from there.

PersonaNonGrata
06-14-2013, 05:46 AM
If it were me i would drop the HIIT and do two more weights sessions, but if you are sticking to your weekly routine i would add in some calorie cycling, thus

Monday: Weights - TDEE/maintenance cals
Tuesday: HIIT - 10% under TDEE
Wednesday: Rest - 20-30% under TDEE
Thursday: HIIT - 10% under TDEE
Friday: Rest - 20-30% under TDEE
Saturday: Weights - TDEE/maintenance cals
Sunday: Distance Run - - 20-30% under TDEE

Ralikar
06-14-2013, 12:44 PM
You can run at that but you need to hit your muscles. There's no need to calorie cycle if you're doing different daily activities -- you are cycling with activity.

1) HIIT does not burn all that many calories but it does impact recovery. You're wasting an entire day ruining recovery and not burning all that. You may be doing tons of cardio plus a HIIT session but if you're not you need to forum search HIIT. It's not some great fat burning thing that people think -- real cardio burns far more calories. HIIT is a tool.
2) Check my sig for real routines. You have 5 days between one session and 1 "rest" day with a long run between the next.
3) You have probably overestimated your activity. If your HITT is 15-20 min then you have 4 days of doing about nothing. If your TDEE is based on sedentary then you are probably gtg, if it's "moderate" it may not be correct -- depending on job/life.

A fat burning routine may be something like:
M: Starting Strength
Tues: Cardio moderate or low intensity (long)
W SS
TH cardio mod or low
F SS
Sa rest or low intensity cardio; some activities; being more active
Su rest

Something like that. At -1000 you would like to smooth out the activities a bit so it's -1000 max +/-... You don't want to do one giant run so you're at -1800 that day when you could do smaller runs. Forum people claim it all works out at the end of the week... It doesn't -- your body will cut some muscle if you push it too much one day with a giant deficit.

Brackneyc
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
I ran about a 1000 cal deficit, all the way to almost 100lbs of weight loss. While I looked and felt better, I was nothing more than a smaller version of my much heavier self. With training, I am about 20lbs heavier, but waaay happier with how I look. After 25+ years of being obese, I just said fck it, and crashed my way back to earth. I do not recommend this, but for some guys (like me for example), it is the most expedient way to the type of radical changes necessary to make my life better. I was able to drop all diabetes and HBP meds along the way. For me, it worked out ok.

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Like bill said you'll have to tinker with it. I personally don't use tdee. That number changes daily. I use rmr then go from there.

My RMR is 2058. If I were to take 500 calories from that, I would only be eating 1558 calories a day. Even if I did the 20% figure, I would only be eating 1646 calories a day. That can't be right, can it?

Brackneyc
06-18-2013, 04:34 AM
My RMR is 2058.

Based on what?

Track your food for 10 days, adjust up or down to meet goals.

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 04:41 AM
You can run at that but you need to hit your muscles. There's no need to calorie cycle if you're doing different daily activities -- you are cycling with activity.

1) HIIT does not burn all that many calories but it does impact recovery. You're wasting an entire day ruining recovery and not burning all that. You may be doing tons of cardio plus a HIIT session but if you're not you need to forum search HIIT. It's not some great fat burning thing that people think -- real cardio burns far more calories. HIIT is a tool.
2) Check my sig for real routines. You have 5 days between one session and 1 "rest" day with a long run between the next.
3) You have probably overestimated your activity. If your HITT is 15-20 min then you have 4 days of doing about nothing. If your TDEE is based on sedentary then you are probably gtg, if it's "moderate" it may not be correct -- depending on job/life.

A fat burning routine may be something like:
M: Starting Strength
Tues: Cardio moderate or low intensity (long)
W SS
TH cardio mod or low
F SS
Sa rest or low intensity cardio; some activities; being more active
Su rest

Something like that. At -1000 you would like to smooth out the activities a bit so it's -1000 max +/-... You don't want to do one giant run so you're at -1800 that day when you could do smaller runs. Forum people claim it all works out at the end of the week... It doesn't -- your body will cut some muscle if you push it too much one day with a giant deficit.

I would love to be doing Starting Strength again (done it many times) but right now we are in the process of selling our house and all my weight equipment is stored. All I have are some hex dumbbells that I'm doing a full body routine with, along with some body weight exercises, to maintain the muscle I have. I don't even have my bench. So, for right now, I'm only doing the two full bodies a week to maintain. I have changed my schedule a bit. How does it look now?

Monday: 30 min medium cardio (5 mph jog)
Tuesday: weights
Wednesday: 30 min medium cardio (5 mph jog)
Thursday: weights
Friday: rest
Saturday: rest
Sunday: distance run (I do these because I like to run and I'm training to do a 5k next year. I usually do this @ between 5 & 6 mph)

somedude999
06-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Why not add HIIT or light/medium cardio sessions after your lifting sessions? It'll give you 5 sessions a week instead of 3. You don't need to kill yourself each one. Riding a bike is pretty easy on the body.

Personally, I get better results from HIIT than I do from long/slow cardio, but I think different individuals respond differently to cardio and you need to learn what works for you. I get my best results from mixing them.

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Why not add HIIT or light/medium cardio sessions after your lifting sessions? It'll give you 5 sessions a week instead of 3. You don't need to kill yourself each one. Riding a bike is pretty easy on the body.

Personally, I get better results from HIIT than I do from long/slow cardio, but I think different individuals respond differently to cardio and you need to learn what works for you. I get my best results from mixing them.

Thanks for your reply. I tried HIIT for a couple weeks and got minimal results. So I'm gonna try this for a couple weeks. I probably will add in a 15-20 minute walk after weight sessions though.

ultim8-one
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I am simply amazed at how many times this kind of question comes up. And I'm even more amazed at some of the responses these type of questions receive.

Look weight loss is really no big secret or mystery. Do something for yourself that will make a difference in your life for years to come. Hire a real nutritionist. Someone that actually knows what they're talking about. Someone that has had all kinds of clients with all kinds of different needs and goals. I hired one last year and I dropped considerable bodyfat with little cardio. I do lift heavy 4 - 5 times a week but my cardio consisted of 20 - 30 minutes (of a slow walk on the treadmill) POST workout. Healthy bodies are built first in the kitchen. I have posted on this site before who I hired so a simple search will get you her name. But there are many different professionals that can help you .... and it's really not very expensive. Quit trying fads and big drops in calories .. cardio tricks (which do not work) and do what you really need to do to get where you want to get.

Also .. a few lbs a month are actually not too bad .. as long as you're losing inches ....

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I am simply amazed at how many times this kind of question comes up. And I'm even more amazed at some of the responses these type of questions receive.

Look weight loss is really no big secret or mystery. Do something for yourself that will make a difference in your life for years to come. Hire a real nutritionist. Someone that actually knows what they're talking about. Someone that has had all kinds of clients with all kinds of different needs and goals. I hired one last year and I dropped considerable bodyfat with little cardio. I do lift heavy 4 - 5 times a week but my cardio consisted of 20 - 30 minutes (of a slow walk on the treadmill) POST workout. Healthy bodies are built first in the kitchen. I have posted on this site before who I hired so a simple search will get you her name. But there are many different professionals that can help you .... and it's really not very expensive. Quit trying fads and big drops in calories .. cardio tricks (which do not work) and do what you really need to do to get where you want to get.

Also .. a few lbs a month are actually not too bad .. as long as you're losing inches ....

I appreciate your response but I do not have the funds for a personal nutritionist. I don't care how cheap it might be.

Singe03
06-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I appreciate your response but I do not have the funds for a personal nutritionist. I don't care how cheap it might be.

I pretty much agree with ultim8-one, I dropped 40lbs just weight training with a short walking session to warm up and diet, I don't do a lot of cardio unless I'm trying to build my wind up for some reason like I am now.

There isn't much a professional nutritionist can tell you that you can't read for yourself over on the nutrition forums so your not losing out if you cannot afford one. There are some folks like Alan Aragon with tons of freely given advice that I'd trust more than any professional I could possibly afford anyway.

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I pretty much agree with ultim8-one, I dropped 40lbs just weight training with a short walking session to warm up and diet, I don't do a lot of cardio unless I'm trying to build my wind up for some reason like I am now.

There isn't much a professional nutritionist can tell you that you can't read for yourself over on the nutrition forums so your not losing out if you cannot afford one. There are some folks like Alan Aragon with tons of freely given advice that I'd trust more than any professional I could possibly afford anyway.

I just love to run. I feel awesome after a good run.

Geoff Richards
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
nothing helpful to add here.........BLS avi is cool :D

sourmash1973
06-18-2013, 02:11 PM
nothing helpful to add here.........BLS avi is cool :D

LOL...Thanks! I get that a lot.

Powerkicker
06-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I have dropped over 40# at a rate of one pound a week. I eat 1900 calories a day and cheat on saturday up to maybe 3500 calories. I lift weights 4 days a week for 45 minutes. I do no cardio. It is working for me.