PDA

View Full Version : Knee straps for squats or just natty?

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 06:43 AM
I just want to throw this out due to squatting today (No biggie) my knee made a sound like when you make your knuckles pop.
(i was personally never able to do it as a kid)

I stopped my set and went and done a few sets of biceps...

Walked down the hill from parking up afterwards and my knee seems to be at present better than it has ever been before. e,g usually have slight aching in both knees when walking down my steep hill at home.

Now i am a measly 154 pounds and i was only squatting 183 pounds (no vids on technique sorry) It was on the push back up that it happened and maybe i need to seriously check my form.

I hope tomorrow when i wake i don't end up with a fluid filled balloon and it was just nothing.

As a youngster, around 13/14 i went into a hard tackle during football and ever since i have always had a dull ache now and again.

I will stop jabbering on now and cut to the chase.

Should i wear knee straps on such a low weight or should i just suck it up and crack on? I am all for giving it my all but i for one am sure as hell not wanting an injury.............

Cheers all.

ironwill2008
06-13-2013, 06:49 AM
I just want to throw this out due to squatting today (No biggie) my knee made a sound like when you make your knuckles pop.
(i was personally never able to do it as a kid)

I stopped my set and went and done a few sets of biceps...

Walked down the hill from parking up afterwards and my knee seems to be at present better than it has ever been before. e,g usually have slight aching in both knees when walking down my steep hill at home.

Now i am a measly 154 pounds and i was only squatting 183 pounds (no vids on technique sorry) It was on the push back up that it happened and maybe i need to seriously check my form.

I hope tomorrow when i wake i don't end up with a fluid filled balloon and it was just nothing.

As a youngster, around 13/14 i went into a hard tackle during football and ever since i have always had a dull ache now and again.

I will stop jabbering on now and cut to the chase.

Should i wear knee straps on such a low weight or should i just suck it up and crack on? I am all for giving it my all but i for one am sure as hell not wanting an injury.............

Cheers all.

A couple of things;

Knee 'noise' is most often normal. Generally, if there's no pain, there's no problem. But I'm not a doc, and if you have concerns, you should talk to one.

Knee wraps aren't to be used for everyday leg training. They take away some of the stress that your knees have to endure in order to get stronger. Their primary benefit is when doing very heavy max lifts, where the added joint and attachment support will actually be a benefit and not a detriment.

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Knee wraps aren't to be used for everyday leg training. They take away some of the stress that your knees have to endure in order to get stronger. Their primary benefit is when doing very heavy max lifts, where the added joint and attachment support will actually be a benefit and not a detriment.

Well i will knock wraps on the head and if (fingers crossed) my knee is all gravy tomorrow not worry about it and crack on..

Cheers ironwill.. I swear your lappy or mobile beeps as soon as a new thread starts cos your like sheet of a brick when it comes to a first reply.

;-)

Marius_Ursus
06-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Will's right as usual.

For the "normal" (no degenerative diseases, existing injuries, etc.) trainee, you wouldn't need wraps until you start to approach 2.5-3x bodyweight, and even then individuals vary.

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Will's right as usual.

For the "normal" (no degenerative diseases, existing injuries, etc.) trainee, you wouldn't need wraps until you start to approach 2.5-3x bodyweight, and even then individuals vary.

I will get some straps for my 50th birthday then..... Cos 3x is waaaaay off at present. haha

icedemon
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
This is when you need knee straps. When it takes you a couple of hours to load and unload the leg press. When the bars start to bend from a ton of weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue92z73K_TA

Like It Or Not
06-13-2013, 08:07 AM
The popping sound, like in cracking your knuckles, is just fluid moving from one side of the joint to another. Why don't you just see how your knees feel over the next few days? Sounds like your worrying about this for no reason....it's not like it popped, and you felt immediate pain. If you're worried about it, just go lighter for a week or so and see how you feel.

jediokie
06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
I use neoprene knee sleeves. The thick ones. But I have arthritis in both knees.

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
The popping sound, like in cracking your knuckles, is just fluid moving from one side of the joint to another. Why don't you just see how your knees feel over the next few days? Sounds like your worrying about this for no reason....it's not like it popped, and you felt immediate pain. If you're worried about it, just go lighter for a week or so and see how you feel.

Will do...

Best bet was to ask a quick question though in case..... Cheers all anyway.

tornmuscle123
06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
A couple of things;

Knee 'noise' is most often normal. Generally, if there's no pain, there's no problem. But I'm not a doc, and if you have concerns, you should talk to one.

no pain no problem agreed.

i only wear them when competing.

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 09:22 AM
well been into town, walked a few miles and (nothing) So i best just keep about my business and plod on in the rat race.

My 2 days off now so chillaxasion anyhow.

ArchAngel'73
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
You've gotten good advice, I have nothing to add.

HOWEVER...

If you call squatting without knee wraps "natty" again I will fly across the pond and bish slap you so hard you'll see Princess Di again.
The correct term powerlifters use is "raw" in this case, meaning without training aids such as belts, wraps, straps etc..

"Natty" is for competitive bodybuilders and peanut butter.;)

-=FLEX=-
06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
^^^ lmao :D

Marius_Ursus
06-13-2013, 10:32 AM
So I'm the only one who thinks of James Fennimore Cooper every time I see the word "natty"?

Thought so.

tornmuscle123
06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
or Natty lite the cheapest of all beers.

Nikonguy
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
So I'm the only one who thinks of James Fennimore Cooper every time I see the word "natty"?

Thought so.

Thought wrong ;)

FlaIronMind
06-13-2013, 02:50 PM

HOWEVER...

If you call squatting without knee wraps "natty" again I will fly across the pond and bish slap you so hard you'll see Princess Di again.
The correct term powerlifters use is "raw" in this case, meaning without training aids such as belts, wraps, straps etc..

^^^ lmao :D

On spread

doughnutgut
06-13-2013, 03:59 PM

HOWEVER...

Ok haha, Soz.

So i take it it was unnatty to use that phrase..

RAW it is then for now on.. Cheers. Lingo learned.

drudixon
06-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Thought natty was lifting naked....

CFPeterson68
06-14-2013, 07:00 AM

From what I understand (and believe) using wraps to stabilize your knees when needed is fine when needed, but using them in such a way to give you that "spring" at the bottom out of the hole is cheating. And cheating means you aren't building your muscles. Just something to consider.

snoack
06-14-2013, 09:54 AM
or Natty lite the cheapest of all beers.

I live in Baltimore. 'Natty' means Boh...or Barf, your choice.

startover72
06-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Thought natty was lifting naked....

I think that's NADDY

doughnutgut
06-15-2013, 02:33 AM
From what I understand (and believe) using wraps to stabilize your knees when needed is fine when needed, but using them in such a way to give you that "spring" at the bottom out of the hole is cheating. And cheating means you aren't building your muscles. Just something to consider.

I am in for anything that does not assist in any way with the lift.... Am very very against cheating tbh. I want to conduct the lift as clean as possible and just do not want my knee or any other part of my body for that matter to endure injury.

Nikonguy
06-15-2013, 05:41 AM
I am in for anything that does not assist in any way with the lift.... Am very very against cheating tbh. I want to conduct the lift as clean as possible and just do not want my knee or any other part of my body for that matter to endure injury.

There is not much that will afford you increased stability without aiding your lifts but I like Tommy Kono neoprene knee sleeves. They keep my knees warmed up and have eliminated some post training knee pain. Most powerlifting feds accept them in raw competition.

JRT6
06-15-2013, 06:01 AM
The only time I hear chondromalacia in my knees is when I am wearing knee sleeves or wraps (sleeves push in on the patellas) so even though the sleeves can be helpful in keep the joint warm between sets I don't wear them.

doughnutgut
06-15-2013, 07:11 AM
The only time I hear chondromalacia in my knees is when I am wearing knee sleeves or wraps (sleeves push in on the patellas) so even though the sleeves can be helpful in keep the joint warm between sets I don't wear them.

Deads today, walked to and from the gym with zero problems in my knee.

Squats again Monday. Can't wait. Thanks guys.