PDA

View Full Version : 5 miles a day?

sketchofbmore
06-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I know that this varies with people..... Some trainers suggest to walk 5 miles a day to lose weight and to drink up to a gallon of water to really see progress. Now I can drink 1 gallon of water easy but to walk 5 miles a day?? i'm a slow walker lol not because of my weight but because I always walked at a slow pace all my life. We have a treadmill and the fastest i can walk (before my shins really burn) is like speed 3.5 and that's for a like 3-4 mins.... I can do 2 miles but is it really necessary to do 5 miles?

Jtbny
06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I'd prefer to track my calories and eat less rather than walk 5 miles a day on a treadmill, unless of course you enjoy walking 5 miles a day. If that's the case have fun :D

tobymax123
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know who "some trainers" are, but I would bet 90% of the people who post here don't walk (or run) 5 miles a day. And yet they make progress. Including those who are losing or have lost a lot of weight. It does seem worthwhile cause to walk as much as you can, like always parking at the back end of a parking lot, or walking to local stores, etc. It surely can't hurt. If you want to do additional walking for exercise, I would suggest setting a target time, like 45 minutes or an hour, rather than a distance.

Do you have a dog? Dog walking is my best walking time. We usually do about 2 miles a day.

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
i lost 70 pound and walked nowhere if possibe. let alone run.....

cardio???? aint no body got time fo dat..

i have friends who eat like pigs and run run run... but are still as fat as ever... why????

because it is not the exercise.. it is the diet....

we did tell you that previous thread buddy...

wont change in this one... same every time...

sketchofbmore
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't know who "some trainers" are, but I would bet 90% of the people who post here don't walk (or run) 5 miles a day. And yet they make progress. Including those who are losing or have lost a lot of weight. It does seem worthwhile cause to walk as much as you can, like always parking at the back end of a parking lot, or walking to local stores, etc. It surely can't hurt. If you want to do additional walking for exercise, I would suggest setting a target time, like 45 minutes or an hour, rather than a distance.

Do you have a dog? Dog walking is my best walking time. We usually do about 2 miles a day.

I use to have 2 dogs lol now a cat....
I can do 45 minutes on a treadmill while listening to music though or better yet I can walk outside for 30 mins and then the treadmill for another 30 min.

bigdogfarmhand
06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I think the most bang for your buck is the elliptical machine.

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I think the most bang for your buck is the elliptical machine.

he trains at home buddy...

did i mention diet???????

btw... diet

ljimd
06-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Walk what you can, tend to your diet and keep training. You'll be fine.

sketchofbmore
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks I knew that it would be difficult to do that often.

ntrllftr
06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
he trains at home buddy...

did i mention diet???????

btw... diet

<<< has an elliptical machine at home... and a stationary bike. :p

However, I do agree with you that the OP seems to be missinging the big picture of proper diet.

silverlightning
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
i use to have 2 dogs lol now a cat....
I can do 45 minutes on a treadmill while listening to music though or better yet i can walk outside for 30 mins and then the treadmill for another 30 min.

cool story bro

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
cool story bro

Hahahaha... pmsl

-=FLEX=-
06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Unless you have extremely low bodyfat, cardio is largely irrelevant and unnecessary for weight loss, providing your diet is in check.

5 miles a day?

http://shecantshutup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ain-t-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Brackneyc
06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
5 miles a day keeps you away from food for however long it takes to do the 5. Win-win.

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 05:02 PM
5 miles a day keeps you away from food for however long it takes to do the 5. Win-win.

Not if he has a bag of cheerios in his tracksuit bottoms.. ;-)

Brackneyc
06-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Not if he has a bag of cheerios in his tracksuit bottoms.. ;-)

Ahh, the secret (not so secret) Cheerio stash. But, Cheerios by the cup are only about 100 cals. :D

Dang it, now I want some Cheerios.

tomsfish
06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
if you like doing cardio ,do cardio.you will burn calories doing something that you like.otherwise if you dont watch your diet.

drudixon
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I'd prefer to track my calories and eat less rather than walk 5 miles a day on a treadmill, unless of course you enjoy walking 5 miles a day. If that's the case have fun :D

This x 1000. Hour of walking to me is 300 calories, whoopty doo.

w8killer
06-11-2013, 06:10 PM

^ This **** right here! ^ :D

Even though I walk over 5 miles everyday with my job.

HoustonTXMuscle
06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Okay, I'm nuts. Prefer 10 to 20 minutes on the StairMaster (either FatBurner Mode or HIIT; 2 minute intervals at Level 6 followed by 30 seconds at Level 12 - repeated 4 to 8 times). My knees and joints aren't a problem.

Ralikar
06-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I do a lot of treadmill walking and inclines but 5 miles is tooo F%%%ing much even for me.

Anyone can be successful with their own strat. However, not all caloric deficits are the same metabolically. Sitting on your ass doing nothing and being -1000 under in food is not the same for your metabolism/energy levels/hormonal system as -1000 cal a day in activity.

PersonaNonGrata
06-12-2013, 03:23 AM
I do a 6-8 mile run every two or three weeks, but only for cardiovascular health reasons. Cardio is horribly over-rated for fat-loss - as others have said eating less is so much easier. But the main downside is recovery - if i run more often than that it really screws with my lifting, and my strength drops dramatically.
I can burn 800 calories doing that 1 hour run, but i know they aren't all coming from fat. Running an equivalent calorie deficit whilst lifting heavy - a much greater proportion is coming from fat (at least in my experience)

UCSMiami
06-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Did both steady state long distance running and HIIT for years before strength training and it was beneficial for weight loss due to suppressing my appetite. I was extremely skinny all those years. The key was not slouching along at a slow pace but progressively working up to more speed and intensity as stamina developed.

Now with weightlifting appetite is strong all the time especially for meat. Result is a healthy filled out build.

Treadmills are the Devil in my opinion. Better off on a low impact elliptical for indoors or grass outdoors. Treads only useful for using the extreme ramp setting if you live in the flatlands. Use insoles for cushioning inside your shoes to lessen the impacts.

I know this is bodybuilding.com and not runners.com but believe muscle makes you feel and look good but strong cardio system is the key for stamina and endurance. Still do running once a week. 6mph or more is easy once you get used to it. Good high and caloric burn as well. Still no appetite afterwards.

Depends on what you want and what route you want to take to get there.

Cannot we all get along?

Jtbny
06-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Did both steady state long distance running and HIIT for years before strength training and it was beneficial for weight loss due to suppressing my appetite. I was extremely skinny all those years. The key was not slouching along at a slow pace but progressively working up to more speed and intensity as stamina developed.

Now with weightlifting appetite is strong all the time especially for meat. Result is a healthy filled out build.

Treadmills are the Devil in my opinion. Better off on a low impact elliptical for indoors or grass outdoors. Treads only useful for using the extreme ramp setting if you live in the flatlands. Use insoles for cushioning inside your shoes to lessen the impacts.

I know this is bodybuilding.com and not runners.com but believe muscle makes you feel and look good but strong cardio system is the key for stamina and endurance. Still do running once a week. 6mph or more is easy once you get used to it. Good high and caloric burn as well. Still no appetite afterwards.

Depends on what you want and what route you want to take to get there.

Cannot we all get along?

I'm certantly not saying that cardio isnt beneficial. I think ( just my own opinion here ) that trying to use it for losing weight isnt needed. It does work in building a greater deficiet in ones diet, but that's assuming one has their diet in check to begin with. It's very easy to negate a cardio session with food, and much easier ( and less time consuming) to merely eat a little less.

Cardio is great for a bunch of things, and I regularly run myself. So we can get along just fine :)

JOHN GARGANI
06-12-2013, 07:53 AM
to the OP: JOHN: here is a little levity: a guy complains to his doctor about his sex life, so the doctor says, that he is out of shape and tells him to walk 7 miles a day....at the end of the week, the guy calls up the doctor and says " my sex life is worse than ever" and the doctor says " how is that possible?" and the guys says
"well, I'm 50 miles away from home"!!

if you remember your times tables, you will get the joke..lol...

LOOK: as we get older, we all walk slower, and I have to tell you that I have become convinced that walking is NOT meant to be a strenuous activity and that it's beauty is it's simplicity: a couple of miles is probably all you need to just spark your metabolism a bit....

now: I have read all your previous problems: engaged, not married, but 3 kids, one of them autistic, etc and so on, and I know how all that affects what you eat, but as suggested by many, the key is STILL the diet and in spite of everything, it is the area that you MUST continue to work and improve and most importantly LEARN more about....

otherwise, you might just become like the guy in the joke!!

CFPeterson68
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I say instead of all that walking do 2 sessions of HIIT per week for 20-30 mins each.

drudixon
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
I say instead of all that walking do 2 sessions of HIIT per week for 20-30 mins each.

For his experience level, that could be too aggressive. When I do HIIT, I do tabata and 4 cycles is about all I need / can do.

CFPeterson68
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
You're right, I didn't read close enough. But you can really tailor HIIT to any level of interval length, number, etc. I've just heard quite a few good things about the lingering metabolic effects of HIIT work and thought I'd put it out there.

You could do HIIT with slow walk, fast walk even... and cut it down from 5 miles to just whatever you do in 20 minutes and still burn a lot of calories.

I personally got into HIIT because I could do in 30 minutes what I would have done in like 40.

Jtbny
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
The term HIIT is used often here but I doubt many people are doing it. Instead they are doing interval training but not HIIT.

NapalmX
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I walk quite a bit, but not as much in the winter. For me, I just do it because I enjoy it, not so much because of the cardio benefit or for weight loss. All my walking is mostly done outside on trails.

KimchiNinja
06-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Treadmills are the Devil in my opinion.

Agree.

But anytime I go into a gym everyone is on the treadmill, looking the same they looked a year ago, while the barbell sits there being lonely.

My theory is it all got started with "calories in / calories out" and people thinking they could slim down with a "fat burning cardio session".

Doesn't work though. Nutrition takes care of fat.