PDA

View Full Version : gaining size/muscle but weight staying the same!

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 12:57 AM
hi everyone,
so currently under advice from you guys in my last post i have joined the gym and lifting as heavy as i can on a full body workout 3 x a week. i perform 3 sets at 10 reps for shoulders, back, chest, biceps,triceps, squats, calves and abs.
i have been going to the gym now for 8 weeks and have worked out my maintainance cals of 2400. i weight myself with the scales in the gym before exercise and it is exaxtly the same each and every time at 156lbs.
my question is that i see great gains in muscle size and veins in my arms and biceps and overall body shape and strength change! but why do the scales show the same weight?
should they not show heavier?
attach pic is me today and avitar pic is me 8 weeks ago after home fat burning workout for 6 weeks!
could i get body fat %

acrawlingchaos
06-11-2013, 01:03 AM
If you are eating to maintain your weight, why would the scale move? The whole meaning of maintain is to "stay the same weight".

You recomped. You lost some fat, and gained some muscle.

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 01:27 AM
You recomped. You lost some fat, and gained some muscle.
thats what i thought has happened as my waist is getting slightly smaller, but was scared to mention losing fat and gaining muscle as i thought that was hard or impossible!

PersonaNonGrata
06-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Hard? yes. And usually slower.

Impossible? no :) especially if you are just starting out

(Just don't refer to is as "turning fat into muscle" or "toning up" or people may point and laugh :) )

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 01:40 AM
love this site for the fast replys!
so, if i keep doing what i am doing i will stay the same weight and will still see slow gains in muscle size and definition?
the reason i ask is i would like the abs to show more before i would clean bulk with a extra 300 cals.

Funkdubius
06-11-2013, 01:42 AM
love this site for the fast replys!
so, if i keep doing what i am doing i will stay the same weight and will still see slow gains in muscle size and definition?
the reason i ask is i would like the abs to show more before i would clean bulk with a extra 300 cals.

If you want more abs you need cut calories under maintenance a little...

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 01:51 AM
yes i under stand i would need to eat under my maintenance to show more abs.
but what would happen to my body if i just kept doing exactly what i am doing now for the next 5 years?
does it not change the way it looks now?
do i slowly cut up?
surely it has to change for the better>?

PersonaNonGrata
06-11-2013, 02:01 AM
yes i under stand i would need to eat under my maintenance to show more abs.
but what would happen to my body if i just kept doing exactly what i am doing now for the next 5 years?
does it not change the way it looks now?
do i slowly cut up?
surely it has to change for the better>?

You'll end up "skinny ripped" with a very low body fat, not much size, but if you train heavy you will be a good deal stronger. This is essentially what i've done.

It's a bit of a double edged sword - it's good because you are stronger than you look, but it can also be annoying..... because you're stronger than you look!

The other thing to remember (and i messed this up) is that as you recomp your TDEE goes up, even if you actually lose a bit of total mass, so keep an eye on your measurable lean mass with calipers and scales

Richie71
06-11-2013, 02:18 AM
It's a great time to be training. You can do almost anything and get both stronger and leaner. You will wonder why the rest of the board complicate things so much. Long may it last for you!
I'd suggest keeping on a similar diet/training programme, as long as it's still seeing progress.

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 02:29 AM
thanks personanongrata!
looking at your avitar you look great! you are a bit taller than me and heavier but wow your abs is what i am after(no homo).
working on posting a pic here in the next 10 mins for some advice on what to do next

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 02:44 AM
thanks personanongrata!
looking at your avitar you look great! you are a bit taller than me and heavier but wow your abs is what i am after(no homo).
working on posting a pic here in the next 10 mins for some advice on what to do next

Your doing great bud keep it up.. I seem to be recomping also at present.... Scales not moving but im sure my better definition is due to water.

PersonaNonGrata
06-11-2013, 02:46 AM
thanks personanongrata!
In terms of training I generally stick to lower rep sets (4-7) - if i can do 10 it's not heavy enough :)

The only other bit of basic advice is that decent abs aren't just about the front, and they aren;t really about doing crunches or situps - you need to balance the posterior chain (middle/lower back and glutes especially).... abs are just leanness and core strength, and a good core comes from doing the big compounds, especially squats and deadlifts. You just can't deadlift 2-3x your bodyweight, and have crappy core strength :)

There are some very good strength programs out there (stronglifts, starting strength etc)

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
pic added for advice and body fat %
5'9 156lbs

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 02:59 AM
In terms of training I generally stick to lower rep sets (4-7) - if i can do 10 it's not heavy enough :)

The only other bit of basic advice is that decent abs aren't just about the front, and they aren;t really about doing crunches or situps - you need to balance the posterior chain (middle/lower back and glutes especially).... abs are just leanness and core strength, and a good core comes from doing the big compounds, especially squats and deadlifts. You just can't deadlift 2-3x your bodyweight, and have crappy core strength :)

There are some very good strength programs out there (stronglifts, starting strength etc)

Persona your right to the tee with that one.

When I dropped to my lowest my abs showed up apart from bottom 2 (lots of loose skin on this old ex fat dawg)
This was nothing to do with leg raises or crunches as i have never done and stand alone ab exercises.

Deads and squats are so so so important for overall strength i still and always will not understand why on earth people avoid them like the plague.

beachguy498
06-11-2013, 04:45 AM
When I got back into it in late 2008, I weighed around 250. Today, through all my ups & downs, I weigh 237 and am a lot stronger and have gained a good amount of muscle. I do bulk from time to time, but currently eat on a maintenance level. My normal winter-weight is around 245.

OP, you're only 2 months into it, so give things a chance. I would stop looking at the scale, I may hop on mine every couple of weeks or when I see a change in the mirror. I would also stop worring about the abs for now and pack on some size, meaning gaining some weight. 156 lbs is pretty lean. Gotta feed the machine!

Rob

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 05:03 AM
When I got back into it in late 2008, I weighed around 250. Today, through all my ups & downs, I weigh 237 and am a lot stronger and have gained a good amount of muscle. I do bulk from time to time, but currently eat on a maintenance level. My normal winter-weight is around 245.

OP, you're only 2 months into it, so give things a chance. I would stop looking at the scale, I may hop on mine every couple of weeks or when I see a change in the mirror. I would also stop worring about the abs for now and pack on some size, meaning gaining some weight. 156 lbs is pretty lean. Gotta feed the machine!

Rob

Nice post beachguy

Scales are for weighing food..... If you can weigh your food on your bathroom scales then put them in the kitchen... Otherwise chuck them bad boys out... They mess your head right up....

Kevgolf
06-11-2013, 06:50 AM
thanks for your replys and help! i have added a pic to get a bf %, and also in the post pics section. thanks and i will post more in another 8 weeks.

chickeneater
06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
I'd say 14% bf on the pic.

Noobie gains defy bodybuilding logic as far as your weight staying the same. Enjoy for now, make adjustments in the future when needed.

acrawlingchaos
06-11-2013, 08:28 AM
thanks for your replys and help! i have added a pic to get a bf %, and also in the post pics section. thanks and i will post more in another 8 weeks.This is a poor pic for bf estimates.

Full body/front and back/unflexed.

Otherwise... I would place you between ~17-19%.

PersonaNonGrata
06-11-2013, 08:32 AM
This is a poor pic for bf estimates.

Full body/front and back/unflexed.

Otherwise... I would place you between ~17-19%.

High teens would be my guesstimate too, but yes the pic makes it hard

OP - get some calipers, even the cheap ones are pretty accurate, and are very good for keeping track of relative changes even if the absolute number might be a couple of percent out. Be warned though, if you are vulnerable to neuroses of any kind, they are a dangerous tool!!!! (I have caliper OCD now, it's part of my morning ritual every day.... sigh....can't stop....)

lolakitten
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Deads and squats are so so so important for overall strength i still and always will not understand why on earth people avoid them like the plague.

Because they are hard & they hurt. People are wimps. It takes an exceptional person to look exceptional :D

Nhorn
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
This thread is great. I'm in the same boat. I've always been skinny-fat and started working out regularly in January for the first time in my life. My weight has stayed the same, but I definitely am getting more definition. I'm trying to eat more so I can gain more mass, but like you, Kevgolf, I'd like to shed some belly fat so I can see if I actually have abs under there. Great advice on this thread!
Neal

doughnutgut
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Because they are hard & they hurt. People are wimps. It takes an exceptional person to look exceptional :D

Indeed but the way i see it is doesnt everyone want to hurt for a small fraction of the week to look HARD forever...

I love how i cant speak properly after just one set of squats... OK maybe i cant walk properly after but if my arms work i can just drag myself about for a few days.. ;-)

beachguy498
06-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I had cut down to 225 a few years back and my workouts suffered. My best lifts have come at 260+ lbs. I'm at a good balance right now at 237. I've cut a lot of crap out of my diet in the last month. I also workout in 4 sets of 6-8 reps. I really can't do 10 or 12 reps with the weight I'm up to. You have to fine-tune what you're doing to get where you want to be.

Rob

Kevgolf
06-12-2013, 01:11 AM
ahh feck!was feeling really good about myself and how the training has been going, hence why i posted what was happening with my body!
now i feel like my body has not changed for the better as much as i thought!
motivation is at zero at the moment! and fell of the wagon last night with crisps/chocs and ice cream to make matters worse!
but at the gym tonight to push out those heavy weights!
going to add 30 mins of HITT twice a week to lower the body fat!

acrawlingchaos
06-12-2013, 01:35 AM
ahh feck!was feeling really good about myself and how the training has been going, hence why i posted what was happening with my body!
now i feel like my body has not changed for the better as much as i thought!
motivation is at zero at the moment! and fell of the wagon last night with crisps/chocs and ice cream to make matters worse!
but at the gym tonight to push out those heavy weights!
going to add 30 mins of HITT twice a week to lower the body fat!Why and what?

You still made the exact same progress as you did before you made this thread. The number is nothing more than a tool and a gauge. It isn't something to beat yourself up over.

As far as losing fat.... get your diet together.

MrMakAttack
06-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Watch doing too much cardio or your hardwork lifting won't gain anything because your calories you consumed were burned off when running instead of converted into muscle.

You are in the same boat I am. I have been gaining muscle but not losing or gaining weight for the most part. Get yourself some calipers and start tracking your body fat to make sure that is what is going on. Also, start measuring your body parts and tracking those. If those are growing and your weight is the same, you are making progress.

Who cares what the scale says....its all about how you look in the mirror.