PDA

View Full Version : 43 and starting over again

softy1970
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm 43 5'10 204lbs trying to get down to about 180lbs but still get size and strength am laid off for the summer so I've got a bit of time been going to gym for 2 weeks now can anyone give me some tips using creatine and whey protein should I be using a pre workout supplement? is it good to lift in morn and treadmill at night(that's what I've been doing)?any tips will be helpful thanks!!!

UCSMiami
06-07-2013, 05:14 AM
I'm 43 5'10 204lbs trying to get down to about 180lbs but still get size and strength am laid off for the summer so I've got a bit of time been going to gym for 2 weeks now can anyone give me some tips using creatine and whey protein should I be using a pre workout supplement? is it good to lift in morn and treadmill at night(that's what I've been doing)?any tips will be helpful thanks!!!

I would say to start you need none of that stuff-pwo, creatine, protein...just good sleep and recovery plan and use good form to avoid injuries. You may never need adders depending on your goals and usage.

The morning w/o + evening treadmill is entirely personal preference. No right or wrong. Just stay on your plan and maintain motivation.

I take it the excess 24lbs from current to desired weight is fattiness...well then both weight training and some footwork to create a calorie deficit is a good idea. I do not like treadmills as it is hard impact but again that is preference issue. You would get there quicker as well by examining your current dietary intake.

Enjoy and good luck.

ironwill2008
06-07-2013, 06:57 AM

*No requirement for supplements at your level; learn how to eat first. This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com

Nothing wrong with splitting weight training and cardio into separate sessions if that suits your schedule.