PDA

View Full Version : Any Sardine Lovers

vaBuckeye
06-06-2013, 04:38 AM
I love them. 3.75 ounce can packed in water:

17 grams of protein
90 calories

I eat 3 or 4 cans a day. I get them for 99 cents a can. Hot sauce fans, don't buy the ones packed in hot sauce as I find it better to add your own.

chibito
06-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Heey Brah, i dont eat them frequently because sardines are high on PCBs.

PersonaNonGrata
06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Love them, but 3-4 cans a day is excessive - you're not a bloody dolphin!

Whiskeyjack
06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Are they high sodium?

vaBuckeye
06-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Are they high sodium?

370 mg. per can. Not sure if that is high. Probably so since its in can.

vaBuckeye
06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Love them, but 3-4 cans a day is excessive - you're not a bloody dolphin!

I didn't realize that is excessive. Wondering why? I know to much canned tuna can be bad.

Legbuh
06-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I remember as a kid my mom couldn't keep sardines in stock in the pantry. I'd just pound them if I saw they were there.

Then for some reason I stopped. I saw some a while back and remembered my fondness for them and bought some. I had to spit them out. I don't know if it was a different brand/flavor or what but it was disgusting. And I love fish/seafood. I wish I liked them.

Now, you may want to find a local meat market or deli that makes fresh pickled herring. Probably better for you than canned sardines. If you find a place that really knows how to make it, it should help as well.

As for tuna, I used to eat a can a day blended with protein powder and OJ for breakfast. I decided that wasn't a good idea and switched to eggs, toast and PB. :)

Minotaur
06-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I freakin' love sardines, but only the ones in olive oil. I usually do two cans at a time. Add some Greek and/or Sicilian olives, some feta and/or provolone and die happy. :D

Minotaur
06-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Then for some reason I stopped. I saw some a while back and remembered my fondness for them and bought some. I had to spit them out. I don't know if it was a different brand/flavor or what but it was disgusting. And I love fish/seafood. I wish I liked them.

I feel the same way about canned mackeral and bluefish. I used to chow down on it like there was no tomorrow, then all of a sudden it started turning my stomach. I can't stand the thought of them. It may be the super oiliness of them.

EjnarKolinkar
06-06-2013, 07:51 AM
I freakin' love sardines, but only the ones in olive oil. I usually do two cans at a time. Add some Greek and/or Sicilian olives, some feta and/or provolone and die happy. :D

Second in olive oil.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HDJYWA

Costco has these, two cans makes a perfect lunch with a side salad, in a sandwich, or with some sliced tomatoes. I keep a few cans at work, take them with me to cafeteria and get stuff to eat with them. Siracha and mayo on wheat with some greens, eyes roll back in head.

Marius_Ursus
06-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I love them. There's a one kind you can get packed in mustard.

Delicious!

MarkDL
06-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Love the water-packed ones from Trader Joes. Very non-fishy and fresh tasting. Smother them with sriracha sauce as a post-workout protein boost.

lolakitten
06-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Only fresh out of the ocean & pan-fried :D

Korr
06-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Another plus for sardines in olive oil.

I'd eat canned sardines, or herring over tuna any day.

FiveofClubs
06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I haven't had sardines in years. I think I'll pick some up! Thanks for the tip.

djbennyb
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
i like them too. ive also seen them in restaurants grilled fresh and thats delicious too...

ArchAngel'73
06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
:eek:
I'm close to gagging.
My cat won't even eat them!

twoSkinny
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Can't say I love them but I do eat them, And have since I was a kid. Just ate a can the other day.

TwoSkinny

FloridaRock
06-06-2013, 01:30 PM
This sounded extremely gross before I tried it, now it's one of the only ways I'll eat sardines.

Take one can of sardines, half an avocado, olive oil, and fresh squeezed lemon juice (about a 1/3 lemon). Mix them together in a bowl and make a spread out of it. Get some whole wheat crackers, and go to town. I know, it sounds incredibly gross. But it's amazingly delicious! And talk about a nutrition packed snack!

I'll still eat them with mustard, hot sauce, or just plain. I love those little boney buggers! But the way I described above, is a killer way to have them. Give it a shot.

Marius_Ursus
06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
This sounded extremely gross before I tried it, now it's one of the only ways I'll eat sardines.

Take one can of sardines, half an avocado, olive oil, and fresh squeezed lemon juice (about a 1/3 lemon). Mix them together in a bowl and make a spread out of it. Get some whole wheat crackers, and go to town. I know, it sounds incredibly gross. But it's amazingly delicious! And talk about a nutrition packed snack!

I'll still eat them with mustard, hot sauce, or just plain. I love those little boney buggers! But the way I described above, is a killer way to have them. Give it a shot.

That doesn't sound gross at all. That's how I make my tuna salad (with onions added).

AAOBob
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I love sardines but I also enjoy having sex. They do bad things to my breath and 3 cans a day would put an end to that ;)

FloridaRock
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I love sardines but I also enjoy having sex. They do bad things to my breath and 3 cans a day would put an end to that ;)

You could eat a radioactive turd, and as long as you brush, floss, use Listerine, and chew gum, your breath would be fine. The only thing I can think of is garlic. Not only is it immune to toothpaste, Listerine, gum, and gasoline, but you eventually sweat it out of your pores. Nothing picks up chicks faster than smelling like Italian clam sauce while doing lunges. :)

lolakitten
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
You could eat a radioactive turd, and as long as you brush, floss, use Listerine, and chew gum, your breath would be fine. The only thing I can think of is garlic. Not only is it immune to toothpaste, Listerine, gum, and gasoline, but you eventually sweat it out of your pores. Nothing picks up chicks faster than smelling like Italian clam sauce while doing lunges. :)

Haha, we have a rule at our house - if one of us eats garlic, we all have to eat it :P

pvsampson
06-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I like sardines.

As bait.

AAOBob
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Umm....no.

It's not the teeth that's the problem, it's the sardine burps.

Whiskeyjack
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
370 mg. per can. Not sure if that is high. Probably so since its in can.

In Canada cans indicate how contents are a percentage of a recommended daily dose. That amount seems high, but of course sodium content, like everything else, is contextual.

I love tinned herring, clams, oysters, mackerel, and some others - ideally in olive oil, mustard, and tomato or hot sauce. The sauces add sodium but as I say that is included on the cans here. Tuna I've gotten tired, and sardines I can only eat if they have a sauce.

vaBuckeye
06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Haha, we have a rule at our house - if one of us eats garlic, we all have to eat it :P

Great rule.

dnb
06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Only and always in olive oil.

BiomedDood
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I really really like the ones in olive oil. I actually had 2 cans for lunch 2 weeks ago.

At lunch, I decided to nuke it. BAD MISTAKE! My co-workers fled the break-room! The good news was I sat alone in the break room and enjoyed my 'warm' sardines fresh out of the can.

I stick to tuna now :-(.

Karl_Hungus
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I love them too, but honestly, most brands suck. Beach cliff is the worst. I usually have to do a great deal of searching before I find a brand that is palatable, but when I do, I absolutely love them. They have among the highest levels of Omega-3 FA's, and they are low in toxins relative to larger fish.

badclams
06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I prefer the ones from Germany compared to the ones say from Thailand, there firmer and less fishier with less bones and skin. Even better are pickled herring !