PDA

View Full Version : Extrapolating IIFYM

mm394006
06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Timing does have to matter to some degree, right?

Would anyone here argue IIFYM to apply on a weekly or monthly basis? (For example: eat a weeks worth of macros for breakfast on Monday and then not eat again) (Eat a months worth of macros on the 1st and then fast for 30 days)

When extrapolating the concept it seems kinda flawed.

So what makes the macros fitting into one day make so much sense? And wouldn't that mean that timing does matter? Could it be that basing the diet off a 24 hour period might not be optimal?

Not knocking it, just looking for some input

cumminslifter
06-04-2013, 07:57 AM
IIFYM is not a timing protocol. your understanding of IIFYM is misunderstood

activeseven
06-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Timing does have to matter to some degree, right?

Would anyone here argue IIFYM to apply on a weekly or monthly basis? (For example: eat a weeks worth of macros for breakfast on Monday and then not eat again) (Eat a months worth of macros on the 1st and then fast for 30 days)

When extrapolating the concept it seems kinda flawed.

So what makes the macros fitting into one day make so much sense? And wouldn't that mean that timing does matter? Could it be that basing the diet off a 24 hour period might not be optimal?

Not knocking it, just looking for some input

IIFYM just means eat whatever the hell you want If It Fits Your Macros.
IE: no concern for unprocessed or "clean" foods. You can eat McDonalds all day as long as it....wait for it.....If It Fits Your Macros. :)

mm394006
06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
IIFYM is not a timing protocol. your understanding of IIFYM is misunderstood

I will openly admit that my knowledge of IIFYM is based mostly off of these forums. Why is everyone always saying "timing doesn't matter, IIFYM"? Have I gotten an impression of IIFYM by people who themselves are misinformed? (Wouldn't surprise me from miscers)

SuffolkPunch
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I will openly admit that my knowledge of IIFYM is based mostly off of these forums. Why is everyone always saying "timing doesn't matter, IIFYM"? Have I gotten an impression of IIFYM by people who themselves are misinformed? (Wouldn't surprise me from miscers)
Nobody (who knows what they are talking about) says timing doesn't matter.

In the context of a single day, it has a very low significance compared to all the other things people usually get wrong. Over a long time period it obviously becomes a lot more important.

Same for protein. You need a certain level of leucine present for muscle growth to be triggered but that doesn't mean you need to worry about getting a shake every 3 hours.

The whole thing is muddied by the speed of digestion - large meals can take over a day to fully digest. Google the ileal brake.

cumminslifter
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Nobody (who knows what they are talking about) says timing doesn't matter.

In the context of a single day, it has a very low significance compared to all the other things people usually get wrong. Over a long time period it obviously becomes a lot more important.

Same for protein. You need a certain level of leucine present for muscle growth to be triggered but that doesn't mean you need to worry about getting a shake every 3 hours.

The whole thing is muddied by the speed of digestion - large meals can take over a day to fully digest. Google the ileal brake.couldn't of said it better. good post
on spread

desslok
06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Its kind of a cross between the kids game "telephone" and people parroting what they hear. I think in one sticky at one point Alan wrote something along the lines that "in relation to hitting your daily macros, that meal timing is largely irrelevant in terms of body composition for the average gym goer." People took this, didn't grasp the concept(big surprise) and somehow morphed it into parroting "meal timing is completely irrelevant"

mm394006
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Its kind of a cross between the kids game "telephone" and people parroting what they here. I think in one sticky at one point Alan wrote something along the lines that "in relation to hitting your daily macros, that meal timing is largely irrelevant in terms of body composition for the average gym goer." People took this, didn't grasp the concept(big surprise) and somehow morphed it into parroting "meal timing is completely irrelevant"

That makes alot more sense. I just see so many people in here spouting off about "how timing doesn't matter at all, ever, ever" and then tying it to IIFYM. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Repped

SkydogGinsberg
06-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Why is everyone always saying "timing doesn't matter, IIFYM"?
Because people make threads asking for permission to eat peanut butter before bedtime.
Because people make threads asking how to handle the urgent crisis of not getting their PWO protonz till 31 minutes post-workout.
Because people make threads asking if spaghetti's resident Fat-Making Goblins rouse during daylight hours or just after dark.

pretend
06-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Damn... I was planning on getting in my annual 55kg of protein next Thanksgiving.

activeseven
06-04-2013, 08:27 AM
That makes alot more sense. I just see so many people in here spouting off about "how timing doesn't matter at all, ever, ever" and then tying it to IIFYM. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Repped

Whether something "matters" or not is really subjective which just adds the issue. Does it "have an effect?" yes....does it "matter?" meh....depends on how optimal someone wants to be with how they are executing their goals.

phozosado
06-04-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm just echoing what Desslok said, but that language comes from sticky parrots who don't understand what the word "irrelevant" means.

Alan's post is correct in that meal timing is LARGELY irrelevant to BODY COMP. For those who think when you eat doesn't matter at all in any capacity: enjoy a 2 quart bowl of pasta 15min prior to your legs session.

so far away
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I've yet to see someone in the Nutrition section, or as the parrot above me said, "Sticky parrots", say that nutrient timing isn't relevant at all. (except for trolls and dumbasses who don't frequent the Nutrition section and would hardly be labeled "sticky parrots")

I've seen that it's largely irrelevant posted quite a bit though.