PDA

View Full Version : Advice please! Best strategy for ABS?

mark2927
06-01-2013, 06:52 AM
I am 511 at 169 LBS. BF% with calipers is roughly 13%. I understand calipers are not the most accurate but it is what I have available. I think my BF% is > 13%. My goal is ABS for the summer (4 or 6 pack). I do not count calories but I weigh and measure my waist each morning. I basically adjust the amount I eat so that my waist measurement continues to get smaller. I do measure my protein intake so I get 1 gram per lean body weight.

My current strategy for ABS is every other day low reps and heavy weights. Just like building any other muscle group. I have included some pics.

Question:
Does my strategy make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks to all and best of luck with your goals inside and outside of the gym.

Mark

toddmclain02
06-01-2013, 07:36 AM
I am 511 at 169 LBS. BF% with calipers is roughly 13%. I understand calipers are not the most accurate but it is what I have available. I think my BF% is > 13%. My goal is ABS for the summer (4 or 6 pack). I do not count calories but I weigh and measure my waist each morning. I basically adjust the amount I eat so that my waist measurement continues to get smaller. I do measure my protein intake so I get 1 gram per lean body weight.

My current strategy for ABS is every other day low reps and heavy weights. Just like building any other muscle group. I have included some pics.

Question:
Does my strategy make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks to all and best of luck with your goals inside and outside of the gym.

Mark

You just said you don't monitor your calories.... Fail

FattyMcTubbs
06-01-2013, 07:40 AM
You need to drop more fat then they'll show which means you need to get thorough with your calorie counting.
Consensus is that abs should be getting enough stimulation through your major lifts that require use of your core. Pair that with whatever you're already doing and it should work.

evanmp
06-01-2013, 07:42 AM
"Abs are made in the kitchen"

JayRong
06-01-2013, 09:06 AM
"Abs are made in the kitchen"

not entirely true unless you want skinny ass abs which looks terrible.

1. Do compound movements so your core will be utilized much more
2. start doing direct ab workouts twice a week. train it like any other muscle
3. lose some body fat

those 3 will get you abs.

mark2927
06-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for replies guys. I will continue to cut calories and set up my direct ab workout. Thanks to all!

Mark

msz1698
06-01-2013, 09:52 AM
You have very similar stats to me, and assuming you lift at least 3x a week you're TDEE would be close to 2500-2700 calories. I truly believe people really inflate this more than they really need to so bear with me. You have a solid foundation of muscle mass so I'd really recommend hopping onto a 2200 calorie diet for a smaller deficit at first, and decrease with time and as progression begins to halt or falter. If counting calories is hard for you, I would plan all meals the day before, measure it out, put in some tubaware and label the calories. There is no real way to get lean as you want without tracking your calories, you'll either over or under estimate severely (most likely over) and not know why you have stopped losing weight because you didn't accurately track them. I know its a pain but it really is what will get you over the hump and get you the physique you want. If you have trouble sticking to a diet, do anything you can to stay motivated. For me, it's comparing before and afters, assessing progress and always trying to one up my lifting buddies ;)
Good luck mark you can do it!

jubjubrsx
06-01-2013, 01:19 PM
set aside a day for an hr of ab work, also try going to yoga/pilaties classes....and if you're lucky blaaaaaaam hotties in yoga pants hnnnnnnnnnnng

mark2927
06-01-2013, 01:47 PM
You have very similar stats to me, and assuming you lift at least 3x a week you're TDEE would be close to 2500-2700 calories. I truly believe people really inflate this more than they really need to so bear with me. You have a solid foundation of muscle mass so I'd really recommend hopping onto a 2200 calorie diet for a smaller deficit at first, and decrease with time and as progression begins to halt or falter. If counting calories is hard for you, I would plan all meals the day before, measure it out, put in some tubaware and label the calories. There is no real way to get lean as you want without tracking your calories, you'll either over or under estimate severely (most likely over) and not know why you have stopped losing weight because you didn't accurately track them. I know its a pain but it really is what will get you over the hump and get you the physique you want. If you have trouble sticking to a diet, do anything you can to stay motivated. For me, it's comparing before and afters, assessing progress and always trying to one up my lifting buddies ;)
Good luck mark you can do it!

Thanks, time to breakdown and start tracking. Downloaded tap and track to my phone. I will start today. Thanks for the reply.