PDA

View Full Version : Calories, carbs, cutting and other conundrums

jakebrownvb
05-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Hey guys

I am a 20 year old, 6 ft male who is now 175 pounds down from 210. I am now around 16%bf and want to get lower, I gym 3-4 times a week etc.

I want advice on my current diet and what I could possibly shift to for better results.

I current intermittent fast between 4-8pm and consume 2000 calories. I usually consume around 200g carbs, 200g protein and 60g of fat. Is this good or bad? how can this all be improved?

I am going on holiday in 5 weeks and want to get a lot lower fat% and have been reading some things that have raised questions in my mind.

I read that some form of keto or low carb cycling is really good, but the concept of eating cheese, bacon and other fatty foods is really alien to me. What are peoples thoughts/opinions on me going onto a keto/low calorie diet? I do drink 2 protein shakes every day and was put off the fact that I would have to stop these as they can kick you out of ketosis.

Secondly, after fasting for 20 hours I usually break it with a shake and maybe porridge with fruit followed by a protein/carby meal. I read that spiking your insulin after a fast with sugar (like what is in the fruit and shakes) is really bad thing to do. what is the consensus on the truth behind this? how can I optimise fasting? and does keto work as well while doing IF?

I know there are quite a few questions here, but thanks for any advice/help in advance!

BGoodman88
05-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Some remarks:

1) Protein intake is fine, but fats and calories are too low. Increase fat to about 100gr a day. This will increase your calories as well. Afterwards, monitor your weight and make sure you lose weight at an appropriate (about 1 pound a week or maybe less) rate. If not, increase or decrease calories

2) Keto isn't a magical formula that lets you lose weight faster or retains more muscle. It's a good thing for people who function better on low carb/high fat, but that's it. Personally I don't like to restrict myself of any kind of macro, but it's up to you.

3) Don't worry about insulin spikes unless you're diabetic.

4) Meal timing is largely irrelevant, so IF isn't a magical formula either. But again, some people really like fasting and being able to eat larger portions. Therefore, IF and keto don't 'work', if by work you mean increase fat loss. But is they make your life and diet easier, go for it.

Good luck!

MrBillson
05-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Some remarks:

1) Protein intake is fine, but fats and calories are too low. Increase fat to about 100gr a day. This will increase your calories as well. Afterwards, monitor your weight and make sure you lose weight at an appropriate (about 1 pound a week or maybe less) rate. If not, increase or decrease calories

2) Keto isn't a magical formula that lets you lose weight faster or retains more muscle. It's a good thing for people who function better on low carb/high fat, but that's it. Personally I don't like to restrict myself of any kind of macro, but it's up to you.

3) Don't worry about insulin spikes unless you're diabetic.

4) Meal timing is largely irrelevant, so IF isn't a magical formula either. But again, some people really like fasting and being able to eat larger portions. Therefore, IF and keto don't 'work', if by work you mean increase fat loss. But is they make your life and diet easier, go for it.

Good luck!

This^

OP you need a minimum of 144g protein per day and a minimum of 70g fat per day. After that you can fill up your calories with whatever carbs/fats/proteins you want. Just remain in a calorie deificit. Also ensure you are getting adequate micro vitamins and fibre.

Calorie deficit = weight loss. Do IF if you please, do keto if you please. But it is the calorie deficit which makes you lose the weight, not the diet names.

jakebrownvb
05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Ok so fats and calories to go up.

Increased weight loss with Keto is BS

Increased weight loss with IF is BS

Break my fast with watever food I like.

Is this all correct because it seems to contradict alot of peoples beliefs and what ive read?

otiso
05-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Ok so fats and calories to go up.

Increased weight loss with Keto is BS

Increased weight loss with IF is BS

Break my fast with watever food I like.

Is this all correct because it seems to contradict alot of peoples beliefs and what ive read?

I wouldn't say it's BS, nor would i say it matters that you know about it. If you fancy it, try it and see if it works for you.

It's not a guaranteed science to say that going on Keto will increase your fat loss by x%, however for the right person, with the right lifestyle, and numerous other variable factors, it does shift the weight considerably faster than anything else they've done. Therefore for them, it has increased their weight loss.

But as i said, it doesn't matter, the guys above have said, calorie deficit :-)

jakebrownvb
05-30-2013, 09:37 AM
meh seems too simple

MrBillson
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
meh seems too simple

It is pretty simple when you have the intelligence to make reasonable decisions.

Don't go thinking yo can get all of your calories from cake. You should be focusing on whole, minimally processed foods. But you can eat things which would be considered junk on the reg assuming it fits with macro/micro requirements and stays within your desired calorie limit.

But in terms of meal timing and GI, it really is not of any concern to healthy individuals.

KayPS
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
meh seems too simple

Occam's razor