PDA

View Full Version : My Story: I need to lose 80 pounds and would like any advice

TrialLawyer
05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone,

The short version is I need to lose weight. I am currently at 275-285 (I do not weight myself but will be buying a scale to track my progress) and would like to get down to 200 lbs.

The long version. I was engaged and she left me. The break up threw my life into what was a never ending spiral. I have been overweight for years and being in a relationship I was never motivated to lose weight. Now that I am single I've decided to lose weight (not only lose it but change my lifestyle) and was looking for guidance on the process.

I do p90x from time to time but my schedule really makes it hard for me to really follow through and eat properly (I am a law student). I plan on starting p90x again tomorrow and have committed myself to seeing it through. I am hoping to lose noticeable weight before the fall semester and hopefully be at my goal by the time graduation comes around next May.

I have a lot of selfish reasons for wanting to lose weight. I want to look awesome in my suit when I am in court, I want my appearance to match my confidence (or arrogance if you ask some of my female classmates), and I'd like to make the ex jealous, not because I want her back but because I feel like this is the only payback I want. Sidenote: Our breakup was interesting, and I have not said a word about it despite her trying to taint my character with a lot of misleading facts.
---------------

So what supplement should I take? The nature of law school and work leave me with about 6 hours of sleep a day with Sunday being a 9 hour day if I am lucky.

Should I do something else beside p90x? I was thinking of adding a jog before bed during these summer months... good idea?

Anything advice would be appreciated.

gheruth06
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Hello everyone,

The short version is I need to lose weight. I am currently at 275-285 (I do not weight myself but will be buying a scale to track my progress) and would like to get down to 200 lbs.

The long version. I was engaged and my she left me. The break up threw my life into what was a never ending spiral. I have been overweight for years and being in a relationship I was never motivated to lose weight. Now that I am single I've decided to lose weight (not only lose it but change my lifestyle) and was looking for guidance on the process.

I do p90x from time to time but my schedule really makes it hard for me to really follow through and eat properly (I am a law student). I plan on starting p90x again tomorrow and have committed myself to seeing it through. I am hoping to lose noticeable weight before the fall semester and hopefully be at my goal by the time graduation comes around next May.

I have a lot of selfish reasons for wanting to lose weight. I want to look awesome in my suit when I am in court, I want my appearance to match my confidence (or arrogance if you ask some of my female classmates), and I'd like to make the ex jealous, not because I want her back but because I feel like this is the only payback I want. Sidenote: Our breakup was interesting, and I have not said a word about it despite her trying to taint my character with a lot of misleading facts.
---------------

So what supplement should I take? The nature of law school and work leave me with about 6 hours of sleep a day with Sunday being a 9 hour day if I am lucky.

Should I do something else beside p90x? I was thinking of adding a jog before bed during these summer months... good idea?

I started this to look good naked, which is probably the same reason for a lot of people. So i'm not an expert nor certified in anyway but i can read! SO i would read the stickies in the first part of this forum and figure out what you need to be eating as far as Calories/Pro/Fats/Carbs for a fat loss deficit. Once you've figured that out you need to tell yourself that NO matter how busy you get you will make time to cook and eat those amounts. Reason being is 80% diet 20% working out. So just by eating correctly and healthy you will make significant progress. As far as when you work out you need to maximize the efficiency of your work out. So the smallest amount of time for the most amount of calories burned. H.I.I.T cardio is a good one, short amount of time and high amount of calories burned, p90x is slow and boring, i recommend Insanity for H.I.I.T. Another way is to lift low reps/high weight. From all of my research (experts correct me if i'm wrong please) it seems that low reps/high weight have cause a significant after burn effect( calories burned after you work out) so thats my advice, not certified or backed by any thing other then me reading the stickies and this website a lot. Good luck with this and law school!

Rman2013
05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
I have lost 40 lbs already and need to lose 50 more. I do 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week and strenght train 2x a week. I eat mainly vegatables with lean meat. Its real simple dont make the plan complex and you dont need to do any fancy workouts just fit in what you can do and stick with it.

Legend Zero
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I have lost 40 lbs already and need to lose 50 more. I do 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week and strenght train 2x a week. I eat mainly vegatables with lean meat. Its real simple dont make the plan complex and you dont need to do any fancy workouts just fit in what you can do and stick with it.

Would you mind sharing on the days you do strength training, what do you do? what is your routine?

i'm trying to find a way to do something similar to you.

Rman2013
05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
I dont have alot of equipment so I do pushups , crunches, leg raises, arm circles, for bodyweight exercise . I have dumbells so I also do curls and shoulder raises. I jog for 30 minutes at an even pace I dont go fast but not slow just moderate pace so I sweat after 5 minutes. When I 1st started I only did 10 minutes of cardio everyday because jogging at a high weight for long periods is hard on your knee's. When I lost 20lbs then I upped the cardio to 30 minutes 3x a week.

lucksterx
05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
history
---------------

So what supplement should I take?

Food. Solid foods. If you have trouble hitting recommended protein intake, supplement with protein powder (whey, casein, w/e).

If you have cholesterol problems and/or blood pressure issues, I would also recommend fish oil (http://examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/).

That's pretty much all the supplements you would "need."

The nature of law school and work leave me with about 6 hours of sleep a day with Sunday being a 9 hour day if I am lucky.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of P90x. Never done it, never studied it. Usually I suggest doing a lifting program. I'm currently on Starting Strength and I wish I started it when I was 248 lbs (instead of running for miles).

If P90x works for you, fits in your schedule and recruits your muscles to lift heavy objects, I can't see you going wrong.

EDIT:

Pretty much this:

Haywood30
05-12-2013, 08:34 PM
The biggest factor in your weight loss is going to be your diet. Since you're busy every day, you should try to plan out portable and relatively non-perishable meals that fit your caloric needs. As far as workout plans go, if you can't be on a consistent schedule, you might want to look up a full body routine that you can do a 2-3 times a week. Check the workout programs forum, the allpro beginner's routine might be a good fit.

TrialLawyer
05-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied. My diet is weird. I eat about twice a day, but I eat horribly because by the time I remember to eat a second time nothing is open but junk food. I will add a reminder on my phone to let me know when to eat. I think I will stay away from carbs (a friend had excellent results staying away from carbs) and eat just protein with veggies (I think someone mentioned that here).

Side note: What is a stack? I have been reading this forum and heard it mentioned a few times but have no idea what it is referring to. i.e. EFC stack.

I believe it was a weight lost stack.

tara19
05-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Carbs are not the enemy.
They actually give you energy.
Yes you can function on low carbs but once you hit your minimum protein/fats.
Throw some carbs in the mix for sanity imo.

Don't worry about any stacks or supplements yet.
Once you get low enough that a simple calorie deficit won't help you, look at supplements.
Multivitamin, Fish Oil and Whey Protein are the only things you should look at purchasing.

Make sure you read this and get the info you need.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921

Legend Zero
05-13-2013, 07:05 AM
I dont have alot of equipment so I do pushups , crunches, leg raises, arm circles, for bodyweight exercise . I have dumbells so I also do curls and shoulder raises. I jog for 30 minutes at an even pace I dont go fast but not slow just moderate pace so I sweat after 5 minutes. When I 1st started I only did 10 minutes of cardio everyday because jogging at a high weight for long periods is hard on your knee's. When I lost 20lbs then I upped the cardio to 30 minutes 3x a week.

wow. just with those body exercises and diet changes! that's great man. Do you mostly eat skinless boneless chicken breasts? how do you season them to keep them interesting. Fish?

Rman2013
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
wow. just with those body exercises and diet changes! that's great man. Do you mostly eat skinless boneless chicken breasts? how do you season them to keep them interesting. Fish?

You can use Ms.Dash season or basic onion and garlic for beef and chicken. For fish you can use old bay just dont put to much just enough for flavoring. Boneless of course with no skin a only a quater pound per meal.