PDA

View Full Version : App for estimating body fat

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Just started my fat loss period before the summer. I found an app for iPhone called BOD Keeper that tracks weight and waist and estimates body fat based on that! Works really great for me!

matman1813
05-10-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm extremely happy for you.

01lowbird
05-10-2013, 07:23 AM
lol

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 08:20 AM

I believe one of the best ways to measure body fat is by Air Displacement Plethysmograph (ADP) which can be done in BOD POD machines. I do this from time to time, but it is not that cheap. I found that the body fat estimation using the app corresponds very well with last BOD POD measurement. And if you want to track body fat every week, this is extremely helpful.

matman1813
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I believe one of the best ways to measure body fat is by Air Displacement Plethysmograph (ADP) which can be done in BOD POD machines. I do this from time to time, but it is not that cheap. I found that the body fat estimation using the app corresponds very well with last BOD POD measurement. And if you want to track body fat every week, this is extremely helpful.

You could just measure your waist, if it goes down, you're good.

lilhenry
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Hello Ladies
-hi do you workout, whats your bf%
8%
-8% wow! but you don't have abs
What! don't believe me, check out what the Bodkeeper app says, yeah that's what i thought.

jk OP, anything that helps motivate you is a good thing.

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
You could just measure your waist, if it goes down, you're good.

That is what I do, and always did (weight and waist). But now I can enter the values directly in my phone instead of starting my laptop and putting it in Excel every time. Saves a lot of time.

matman1813
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Why would you need to put it in excel?

ajosbor
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
found that in app store, costs $1.99 and i'm too cheap. "Fat 2 Fit" has a body fat calc for free but doesn't keep track of measurements, as in you enter it daily but doesn't log them if your looking for a history tracker. good enough for guestimates but that's all i chalk up apps like this for anyway.

Did have a quick question on this though, probably dumb one though

If your weight goes up a little (1-1.5 lbs) but waist size goes down, it obviously says body fat went down. Would you chalk up the weight going up to sodium intake/water intake/etc? I'm guessing while in a calorie deficit it's not from added muscle.

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Why would you need to put it in excel?

Well, to track the results over time and to make graphs. I have been storing weight and waist measurements in Excel once per week for a couple of years now. But now on I an just using the app instead. The time it saves me is definitely worth the 1.99$.

matman1813
05-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, to track the results over time and to make graphs. I have been storing weight and waist measurements in Excel once per week for a couple of years now. But now on I an just using the app instead. The time it saves me is definitely worth the 1.99$.

So basically, you're just here to advertise your app.

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 10:57 AM
found that in app store, costs $1.99 and i'm too cheap. "Fat 2 Fit" has a body fat calc for free but doesn't keep track of measurements, as in you enter it daily but doesn't log them if your looking for a history tracker. good enough for guestimates but that's all i chalk up apps like this for anyway.

Did have a quick question on this though, probably dumb one though

If your weight goes up a little (1-1.5 lbs) but waist size goes down, it obviously says body fat went down. Would you chalk up the weight going up to sodium intake/water intake/etc? I'm guessing while in a calorie deficit it's not from added muscle.

I checked out the Fat 2 Fit app. There you need to enter weight, height, hips waist and neck to get a body fat estimate. That would take too much time for me since I do it often. The BOD Keeper just uses weight and waist to calculate the body fat, which is good enough for me since it corresponds well with the more accurate ADP (BOD POD) measurement that I did. And the tracking part is also useful, worth the 1.99$ in my case.

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 11:01 AM
So basically, you're just here to advertise your app.

Not really since it is not my app. And it helps me.

matman1813
05-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Not really since it is not my app. And it helps me.

Don't lie. You made a new account on the forum to advertise your app, you know advertising isn't allowed so you're just pretending someone else made it. You are also making false claims about its accuracy. If in your case is correlated well to bodpod results, that is a complete fluke. You cannot tell BF% simply from weight and waist measurement.

ajosbor
05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I checked out the Fat 2 Fit app. There you need to enter weight, height, hips waist and neck to get a body fat estimate. That would take too much time for me since I do it often. The BOD Keeper just uses weight and waist to calculate the body fat, which is good enough for me since it corresponds well with the more accurate ADP (BOD POD) measurement that I did. And the tracking part is also useful, worth the 1.99$ in my case.

actually if your male, the only measurements that change body fat are weight and waist. you could put you had 50 inch waist and it'd still tell you 10% or whatever you currently are, those other measuremnets are for women.

but, a million apps out there and everybody will pick a different one that does the same thing.

jonassten133
05-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't lie. You made a new account on the forum to advertise your app, you know advertising isn't allowed so you're just pretending someone else made it. You are also making false claims about its accuracy. If in your case is correlated well to bodpod results, that is a complete fluke. You cannot tell BF% simply from weight and waist measurement.

You can believe whatever you want. I don't care. But I simply don't know how to make an app. Yes, perhaps it was just a fluke that the BOD POD measurement was close (about 1% off), I don't know since I have to few data points to say that. I am just sharing my experience. I have read a lot of different forums with people giving tips about apps that have been helpful to them and I also benefitted from that.