PDA

View Full Version : Can I seriously lose 10lbs of mass without loosing 1lbs of fat?

Konsume
05-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Hey guys,

My personal trainer takes my BF% every months, in order to know if I'm doing well, if we should change my programs, etc. I was pretty impressed by myself this month since I sticked with my diet for the full month and ended up loosing around 8~8.4lbs this month. I worked VERRRRRRRY HARD, my diet stayed clean and I even up'd most weight in my workouts. I was sure I would be around ~22% fat... but to my suprise she tells me I'm still at 24% eventho I've lost about 10lbs!!!!

Here is my diet:
myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Konsume?date=2013-05-09

I eat that everyday for 6 days and than I have 1 cheat day where I do not calculate calories (but i'm not going wild either)

I leave 100 calories open in order to be able to eat 1 fruit / nut / veg when I need/want it.

I workout 6 days a week around 17:15, doing cardio 2 days a week.

Is it possible that I have just lost mass? my arms feels a bit bigger and my stomach feels a bit more flat... I don't know I just hope she made a mistake! Just wondering if it's possible that i've lost 10lbs of mass and 0 of fat =X

xxRedemptionxx
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Hey guys,

My personal trainer takes my BF% every months, in order to know if I'm doing well, if we should change my programs, etc. I was pretty impressed by myself this month since I sticked with my diet for the full month and ended up loosing around 8~8.4lbs this month. I worked VERRRRRRRY HARD, my diet stayed clean and I even up'd most weight in my workouts. I was sure I would be around ~22% fat... but to my suprise she tells me I'm still at 24% eventho I've lost about 10lbs!!!!

Here is my diet:
myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Konsume?date=2013-05-09

I eat that everyday for 6 days and than I have 1 cheat day where I do not calculate calories (but i'm not going wild either)

I leave 100 calories open in order to be able to eat 1 fruit / nut / veg when I need/want it.

I workout 6 days a week around 17:15, doing cardio 2 days a week.

Is it possible that I have just lost mass? my arms feels a bit bigger and my stomach feels a bit more flat... I don't know I just hope she made a mistake! Just wondering if it's possible that i've lost 10lbs of mass and 0 of fat =X

What did she use to measure body fat?

And no I don't even think its possible to lose that much mass over fat

Brad805
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
And how is the PT determining your BF? Trust in the mirror and measurements grasshopper.

A simple summary of your daily macros is more helpful than a summary of foods.

Konsume
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
What did she use to measure body fat?

And no I don't even think its possible to lose that much mass over fat

Fat Caliper
and a BMI scale

A simple summary of your daily macros is more helpful than a summary of foods.

1900 calories
190g carb
190g Prot
45g fat
(40%/40%/20%)

I try to stack most of my carbs at lunch and 15:00pm break so I can have alot of energy to workout around 17:15 pm and my workouts last 55min to 1h05

Former300lber
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Ditch the trainer, read the stickies and lift weights.

22pete22
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Ditch the trainer, read the stickies and lift weights.

^^^^^^This! You get better advise here and its free.

unleashthelion
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Do a Bod Pod or Dexa scan if you want to (somewhat) accurately measure your BF%.

Don't worry about body fat until you're within 20lbs of your goal weight.

Konsume
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Do a Bod Pod or Dexa scan if you want to (somewhat) accurately measure your BF%.

Don't worry about body fat until you're within 20lbs of your goal weight.

well I'm aiming for 175~180lbs so I'm pretty much within 20lbs of my goal weight!

and I just googled and I can't find a place for either for the scans here in Montreal =X

Bobthebuilder8
05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't say "ditch the trainer" At least the one that you have isn't lying to you to feed your ego. Some trainers will lie to make sure you stay happy, and they stay employed.
Your trainer doesn't have the most accurate BF measuring tools (BMI charts are garbage). But you have said you've lost weight while getting stronger. The macros look good ( maybe up the fat a bit). It sounds like your on the right track. Keep it up.

Electricheadd
05-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Sure its possible to lose 10lbs of LBM and no fat, you could simply manipulate water weight. (Fighters/Wrestlers do it all the time) I don't believe for a second that's what happened to you. I believe the margin of error of your trainers ability to measure body fat is higher than the amount you lost. It doesn't mean shes a bad trainer it just means she sucks at measuring body fat. Up your fats, by 20g and lower carbs/protein to offset and continue to do what your doing.

DoiLift
05-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Sure its possible to lose 10lbs of LBM and no fat, you could simply manipulate water weight. (Fighters/Wrestlers do it all the time) I don't believe for a second that's what happened to you. I believe the margin of error of your trainers ability to measure body fat is higher than the amount you lost. It doesn't mean shes a bad trainer it just means she sucks at measuring body fat. Up your fats, by 20g and lower carbs/protein to offset and continue to do what your doing.this pretty much.

Konsume
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Sure its possible to lose 10lbs of LBM and no fat, you could simply manipulate water weight. (Fighters/Wrestlers do it all the time) I don't believe for a second that's what happened to you. I believe the margin of error of your trainers ability to measure body fat is higher than the amount you lost. It doesn't mean shes a bad trainer it just means she sucks at measuring body fat. Up your fats, by 20g and lower carbs/protein to offset and continue to do what your doing.

kk pro!! Thank you! :) I kinda needed that :)