PDA

View Full Version : 49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up early, but has to go back home

caj
05-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Harbaugh was impressed - and I would be too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/49ers-rookie-quinton-patton-shows-early-impresses-coach-181230073.html

Louisiana Tech receiver Quinton Patton has already caught the eye of head coach Jim Harbaugh, a man who is not easily impressed. After he was drafted, Patton wanted to get right to work, and didn't wait for the usual team-issued plane ticket -- instead, he paid for his own seat on a plane, arrived at San Francisco International Airport on Monday, rented a car, and started the drive to the team's Santa Clara facility. He called ahead to let the 49ers know that he was about 20 minutes away, which turned out to be fortuitous.

Had Patton shown up at his new team's main complex as he intended and started conditioning work, he would have been ineligible to attend the 49ers' rookie minicamp, which starts on May 10. The team arranges transportation for all such visits, and the rookies are set to arrive on May 9. You see, per NFL rules, rookies have a 24-hour period after they are drafted to visit team facilities and do any football work, and Patton was outside the window.

Still, Harbaugh was delighted to see his new player's initiative.

"We didn't do a very good job of communicating that to Quinton before he got to the airport," Harbaugh told San Francisco radio station KNBR, via CSN Bay Area. "But the fact that he would buy his own ticket and fly out here, to me, just speaks volumes about him. I mean, to be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That's something I would've done."

NoS_oUtLaSt
05-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Lol saw this yesterday. AJ Jenkins is officially shaking

TheRejuvenated
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
so they get drafted, they have 24 hours to go do a quick workout, then cant go back for 2 weeks until minicamp?

Dave P
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I think the rule exists to protect drafted players from the teams. If the rule wasnt in place then coaches/organizations could just say GET YOUR ASS HERE RIGHT NOW and go into slave master mode.

Its kind of like the 30-minute employer lunch law where employees are required to take a lunch break regardless of whether or not they WANT to take a lunch break.

samir316
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Patton+Kaepernick going to be so money for the next decade.

neworleans
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Dont see much of this anymore

Fahnestock
05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Nice contrast to the prima donnas of the pre-rookie cap era. brb not even gonna bother playing for your scrub team unless you make me(a rookie with zero NFL snaps) the highest paid player on your team.

Jax019
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
a black guy with work ethic... joking or am I?

Ikeman83
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
rookie salary cap = gold

canuck604
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
So excited for this season :D

hublife
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
That sack of sh!t, Geno Smith should take a few notes.

Crabtree/Boldin/Patton/Davis is going to be one hell of a receiving squad.

ElMariachi
05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm not shocked, Patton was made favorite WR in this draft. I've been watching him for 2 years and he's not super fast or big, but he's a guy who will keep working and working and working until he gets it right, in both high school and college the coaches had to kick him off the practice field to get him to take a break. He's absolutely relentless and that sort of work ethic will fit perfectly with guys like Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and the coaching staff.

Monday wasn't the first time one of Quinton Patton's coaches told him to go home.

Former Louisiana Tech head coach Sonny Dykes on Thursday said those words were a refrain the last two years on the practice field in Ruston, La. where Patton often would stay late to work on his route running. "We told him that many times," said Dykes, who is now the head coach at Cal. "'We got our work done today, Quinton. Let's recharge our batteries and go back to work tomorrow.'"

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/monday-wasnt-first-time-a-coach-told-quinton-patton-to-go-home.html#storylink=cpy

In fact, there were plenty of times in his two seasons at Louisiana Tech that Patton was ordered to go home.

"(The 49ers) will have to drag him off the field," Dykes said. "At Louisiana Tech, we had to tell him, "Hey, man, you have to take a break. You can't do too much. You're going to wear yourself out. He wants to do well and help out the team. He's never worried about personal stats. He just wanted to help the team win."

"He's one of those guys, it hasn't been easy for him," Dykes said. "He had to go to JC and a small college. It wasn't like he was given a bunch of things. He's earned everything he's gotten. And I think that's a good story. A lot of guys these days are entitled, and he's the furthest thing from that. He likes to play football and prove himself and be a good teammate.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dykes-49ers-will-love-patton

5x10
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I think the rule exists to protect drafted players from the teams. If the rule wasnt in place then coaches/organizations could just say GET YOUR ASS HERE RIGHT NOW and go into slave master mode.

Its kind of like the 30-minute employer lunch law where employees are required to take a lunch break regardless of whether or not they WANT to take a lunch break.they can enslave me anytime they want with the payout they offer

CurryTech777
05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
dat dere black mamba work ethic

Ikeman83
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
they can enslave me anytime they want with the payout they offer

Yeah, I don't think it's exactly slavery when you're getting paid 7 figures...

caj
05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm not shocked, Patton was made favorite WR in this draft. I've been watching him for 2 years and he's not super fast or big, but he's a guy who will keep working and working and working until he gets it right, in both high school and college the coaches had to kick him off the practice field to get him to take a break. He's absolutely relentless and that sort of work ethic will fit perfectly with guys like Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and the coaching staff.

Thanks for adding this. He def seems like the kind of player you'll root for regardless if you like the 49ers or not.

Hardcore_D00d
05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
man niners getting all the hard working players.

meanwhile jets get geno "the baby" smith, gets rid of Saint Tebow. and lol at az getting the money badger