PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Nutrition IMPORTANT QUESTION!

kravm
04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
From reviewing MANY forums on here, I have realized my post workout shake, always with 1 scoop protein powder and roughly 40g of carbs (fruit-always banana, FRUCTOSE) proves to do NO good in utilizing the sugars from the fruit (fructose) into building lean muscle mass. Wow. I thought I had been doing it right, seeing as I have read that was a perfect shake to consume post workout -____-
SO, after figuring out through many reliable sources that GLUCOSE (simple sugars) are what I need to fuel my body post workout, I was wondering what foods I can eat that will offer me lots and lots of fuel in the form of carbs & glucose!
I know high GI foods, but, which do you guys eat that have visibly proven to be beneficial? I work out after I get home from school (4 days a week, 4:30pm) so when I am finished, I have my shake, then I go home and eat a meal about an hour later.

My question is: what glucose products can I add to my shake to promote lean muscle mass so I can start seeing results faster?!
Also, what foods should I eat for my post workout meal #2 (an hour after my post workout shake) when I am home and have foods readily at hand to cook? SO confused! There is so much nutrition information given that I have thought was right, I am constantly proven wrong which hinders my progress :(
If anyone knows reliable sources that will further educate me in what I need to know, please attach the link in a comment. Please, only answer this if you KNOW what you are talking about!!!! :) don't want to keep getting false information, I just wanna build muscle!

Kenshinhimora
04-28-2013, 12:36 PM
The glycemic index of foods will have little/no effects on your body composition and meal timing will have little/no effect on your body composition. Eat foods you enjoy at times that are convenient.

WonderPug
04-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Simply eat what you want when you're hungry, as long as your total daily intake meets micro/macronutrient sufficiency and your energy intake is properly calibrated.

There's absolutely no special benefit to consuming processed fast food marketed as protein supplements post workout or at any time of the day. Equally, there's no need to consume the main ingredient in many candies as a supplement either.

Terrimonas
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Bananas are only about ~50% fructose ;) PWO carbs really aren't even necessary if you are consuming a meal with carbs shortly after anyway. Make sure you are getting a sufficient amount of carbs daily and stop worrying about timing them.

KobiDC
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
The glycemic index of foods will have little/no effects on your body composition and meal timing will have little/no effect on your body composition. Eat foods you enjoy at times that are convenient.

^^^ Bingo!

JessTheBody
04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
From reviewing MANY forums on here, I have realized my post workout shake, always with 1 scoop protein powder and roughly 40g of carbs (fruit-always banana, FRUCTOSE) proves to do NO good in utilizing the sugars from the fruit (fructose) into building lean muscle mass. Wow. I thought I had been doing it right, seeing as I have read that was a perfect shake to consume post workout -____-
SO, after figuring out through many reliable sources that GLUCOSE (simple sugars) are what I need to fuel my body post workout, I was wondering what foods I can eat that will offer me lots and lots of fuel in the form of carbs & glucose!
I know high GI foods, but, which do you guys eat that have visibly proven to be beneficial? I work out after I get home from school (4 days a week, 4:30pm) so when I am finished, I have my shake, then I go home and eat a meal about an hour later.

My question is: what glucose products can I add to my shake to promote lean muscle mass so I can start seeing results faster?!
Also, what foods should I eat for my post workout meal #2 (an hour after my post workout shake) when I am home and have foods readily at hand to cook? SO confused! There is so much nutrition information given that I have thought was right, I am constantly proven wrong which hinders my progress :(
If anyone knows reliable sources that will further educate me in what I need to know, please attach the link in a
comment. Please, only answer this if you KNOW what you are talking about!!!! :) don't want to keep getting false information, I just wanna build muscle!
Very good questions. There are different cases where the body responds to different foods....I have clients who eat waffles, rice, oats....just depends.

KobiDC
04-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Very good questions. There are different cases where the body responds to different foods....I have clients who eat waffles, rice, oats....just depends.

Your body responds to the nutrients of the food, not the individual food itself, your body doesn't care about the arbitrary names we slam on foods. :)

kravm
04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Your body responds to the nutrients of the food, not the individual food itself, your body doesn't care about the arbitrary names we slam on foods. :)

what I mean is, I have seen many articles that have said "fast acting" carbs post workout are best--as the muscle is starving for fast digesting foods that spike blood sugar levels and swarm your muscles with those carbs. So, seems that slow digesting carbs (like whole grain foods) are not ideal post workout? because my body will have to use even more energy to digest them, and during my post workout state I know for a fact that is not ideal because I am already really low on energy and need FAST acting nutrients that my muscles can use ASAP. Hence why whey protein is opted for over slower digested proteins, although I am wary that a mixture of both fast and slow acting proteins are great to enhance muscle recovery hours and hours after the muscle tissues have been broken down during exercise.
Correct me if I am wrong! Really, I'm just tired of reading about false information on nutrition. (N)

kravm
04-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Very good questions. There are different cases where the body responds to different foods....I have clients who eat waffles, rice, oats....just depends./
You are in amazing shape lol! What foods do you opt for, post workout? Clearly, whatever you are consuming POW are working!

Terrimonas
04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
what I mean is, I have seen many articles that have said "fast acting" carbs post workout are best--as the muscle is starving for fast digesting foods that spike blood sugar levels and swarm your muscles with those carbs. So, seems that slow digesting carbs (like whole grain foods) are not ideal post workout? because my body will have to use even more energy to digest them, and during my post workout state I know for a fact that is not ideal because I am already really low on energy and need FAST acting nutrients that my muscles can use ASAP. Hence why whey protein is opted for over slower digested proteins, although I am wary that a mixture of both fast and slow acting proteins are great to enhance muscle recovery hours and hours after the muscle tissues have been broken down during exercise.
Correct me if I am wrong! Really, I'm just tired of reading about false information on nutrition. (N)

brb reinstalling Windows my browser is somehow cross-site displaying articles from Myths and Fiction online magazine.

kravm
04-28-2013, 04:25 PM
brb reinstalling Windows my browser is somehow cross-site displaying articles from Myths and Fiction online magazine.

-___- enlighten me please. Like I said correct me if I am wrong

desslok
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM

My body is ready...for waffles.

ThousandEyes
04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
-___- enlighten me please. Like I said correct me if I am wrong

You were already told that it doesn't matter what you eat or when as long as you hit your micro and macro targets. You decided to ignore it.

cdevocht
04-28-2013, 07:49 PM
In my opinion it's hard to know what would be "ideal" for anybody. It just takes a LONG time to put on lean mass. I personally just eat a full meal pre and post workout, I don't eat high GI foods. Personal preference. Gained about 18 lbs lean mass this year? Also my first year lifting so that probably helped. I'd agree, don't worry about being so exact, stay consistant, train hard, hit your daily macros. Best of luck!!